Computer Games - Wordle, Pokemon Go - anything!

Chat about anything and everything
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

We removed the Games section form the new board as no-one ever posted in it but I love computer games and always have right since the old text-based adventures.

Surely everyone here does their daily WORDLE at least - even if you aren't dedicated Pokemon Go players - as me and the family are (except Mr M... obvs. :devil )
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I only play virtual families now. They are millionaires these days and have a mountain retreat as well as a fully upgraded home. The latest version has too many adverts though it's too annoying. The older versions of families and villagers what didnt even need internet aren't available any more on Google play. I hate all this that's gone now too bad nonsense we get now everyrhing is online.

I gave up on wordle when it converted as they made the words too hard.

I found an old multiple choice quiz game I wrote in 1982 for dragon32 and played that for a bit. Ages ago I found a way to convert it to windows from a tape I can't remember how but luckily I did a readme.txt reminding me which buttons to press to run it and it still works on windows 10.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I found an old multiple choice quiz game I wrote in 1982 for dragon32
Impressed! :up I wrote one for the CPC 464 but it was really terrible with only 6 questions and the answer to one of those was wrong :rofl

I love that your little people have their own mountain retreat now!

I wanted to get Pani Sim City for his birthday but it was all online only nonsense :(

I do have a wonderful RPG Baldur's Gate on dvd which I am about one 50th of the way through, and that I adore. There's nothing like bashing up goblins and monsters in the wood while finding treasure in the mines! But there are just so many demands on one's time these days.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

I played a lot of jump'n'run games as a kid. And Sims. I obviously grew up in the 90s/early 2000s :smug

During the first lockdown, I really got into Assassin's Creed Syndicate. I usually don't like bloody, gory games (and this one does have some violence), but it is so amazing. It's a huge open-world game, where you can freely explore Victorian London during the Industrial Revolution (y'all know I'd be a sucker for that, lol). And it is incredibly detailed - they did 3D scans of all the buildings and really reconstructed everything from the Houses of Parliament, St. Paul's Cathedral, Buckingham Palace,...and you can climb up there and see all the little details. It also features real historical figures like Florence Nightingale, Charles Dickens, Jack the Ripper,...and comes with a lot of real background information on the times and lives back then.

(They also did another AC game, which takes place in Paris, and when Notre Dame burned down, they actually used the 3D scans of that game for the restoration, because it was the most detailed blueprint of the cathedral that ever existed!)

Here's a look at London in the one I played, if anyone is interested:

"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

That game looks absolutely amazing - when the woman leaped off the roof of St Paul's! - and so atmospheric - but looking at the spec I'm going to have to get a new laptop to play it lol.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

I miss simple games that you can just play. The early Sim City, Populus and others.

Of course I was also thoroughly hooked on a text based multi user dungeon.

They must seem strange to people these days but while they were just text on a screen they came alive to us through imagination.

As in more modern games you made your characters stronger through experience and equipment taken from enemies vanquished or dug up in some monster's den.

Merry and I would walk through the square of the main town wearing armour made from the scales of defeated dragons, gloves from the hide of a gorgon, boots from taken from the body of the captain of the Flying Dutchman and so on. Each glowing and giving us some special strength or ability.

I remember how we fought in deep caverns against hordes of orcs, crossed deserts and oceans and every image came from text on a screen and imagination.

I'd be wielding Excalibur and perhaps a knife made from the tooth of a giant bear or ... more often a nail.

That was quirky but was an example of what made it endlessly interesting. In a remote region, in a tiny mountain village that was hard to find unless you mapped every turn, there was a small shop. in that shop you'd buy water and other supplies.

They also sold nails and if you bought some and used an enchantment spell on them they would change. One in perhaps 200 would become the most powerful weapon the game allowed.

So you'd pass newbies wielding huge two handed swords and experienced players holding a nail. :)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Merry and I would walk through the square of the main town wearing armour made from the scales of defeated dragons, gloves from the hide of a gorgon, boots from taken from the body of the captain of the Flying Dutchman and so on. Each glowing and giving us some special strength or ability.

I remember how we fought in deep caverns against hordes of orcs, crossed deserts and oceans and every image came from text on a screen and imagination.
:love

I have SEEN Camelot. Actually walked there. All due to words on a screen :)
So you'd pass newbies wielding huge two handed swords and experienced players holding a nail. :)
That is funny but so true! such a clever game. Part of my history, a big part.
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

I watch my family play computer games but I don't play much meself. My boys love strategy games (civilisation, and the like). My girl prefers little sandbox games. And I don't play anything really. Not even wordle although I had a go (ha!) at Pokemon Go when it first came out ages ago.
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

My campaign to get everyone here hooked on Wordle so we can daily discuss our score is not doing well at all :D I mean, like.. ZERO takers?!
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

I got it in 4 today which is my average...
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Here is Sunday’s attempt. It took a bit of thought to get.

Wordle 512 5/6

🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟨🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I hardly ever play Wordle - it took me 6 tries before I got the word.

:dunce = wrong letter
:) = right letter, wrong place
:D = right letter, right place

:) :dunce :dunce :) :)
:dunce :dunce :dunce :dunce :D
:dunce :dunce :dunce :dunce :D
:dunce :) :dunce :dunce :D
:dunce :dunce :D :dunce :D
:D :D :D :D :D
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

My average is four too. Sometimes I get lucky with a three.

Pani seems to be super-intuitive and expert at this game and averages a three! :eek