So, a crow fell down the chimney and came out into the living room....

The Good, the Bad and the Annoying.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

On my BIRTHDAY MORNING ffs.

All manner of birds and beasties seem to love coming in to my house; when we lived at Darkes Farm we had squirrels, BATS, mice, RATS, and on the morning of another, long-ago birthday, I woke to the sound of giant flapping wings over my head and saw a great blackbird flapping round the bedroom. :mad

This was thoroughly trumped by the latest visitor: I heard something scrabbling in the chimney (quite usual) but didn't think much of it, until I heard Helen open the door below me and let out a cry!

The door was hastily shut and I heard her calling for Mr M!

I thought it was (EVEN) worse than it was and that there was a rat running around in there, which we have also had before in that very room :rolleyes which would be my worst nightmare, but it wasn't great anyway.

They managed eventually to shoo a HUGE and very AGITATED crow out of the patio doors, and I'm glad to report it flew off in a lively enough fashion, but around the room were not just the expected great splodges of panicky bird poos, but also a trail of BLOOD :eek

Dear STPD donned gloves and antibac and set to cleaning the room so I wouldn't have to see it, bless her heart... but I don't think she'll ever forget it....!!!!

Our handyman Jack happens to be popping by today so I'll see if he can come up with a solution, obviously you can put mesh over the chimney but I'm not sure he has the right ladders for roof-work.

All together now - POOR MERRY ON HER BIRTHDAY!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Poor merry on her birthday

What was the blood from had it cut itself in the chimney.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

"Poor Merry on her birthday."
You were fortunate that STPD was there with PPE.

Can you install one of those whirly spinning things on the chimney?
https://www.coltcowls.co.uk/products/rotorvents
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

And does the merry house even need chimneys. I still have mine but it's gas fires here (not working) so birds can't get out into the house. I noticed some houses are having the chimneys took away altogether but I have no idea what sort of worker is needed to do that. Hopefully Jack will know what can be done even if he personally can't do it.
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Post by dianakc »

That happened to me about 10 years ago (with a crow) and then last year a Magpie came down. I've had chicken wire balls put in the chimneys now.
It did provide the inspiration for a N&S one-shot though (at Pippa's suggestion).
No, pressure to read it Merry as I know you are busy, but you might see the funny side.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/48133027
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Thank you, Di! I look forward to it :up

Thanks everyone :grouphug I do feel rather emotionally damaged :lol Furby, I suppose the poor thing must have suffered an injury on its unplanned descent down the chimney inside, but hopefully it was ok as it did fly off. I saw three crows very lively and cheerful in the garden yesterday so I'm hoping Mr Tumble was one of those and all healed up.

Jack says he can fit a mesh thingy on the chimney :up
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City