New air fryer

Top tips, handy hints, recipes
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

New air fryer

Post by eccles »

Offered at a knock down price of £19 and with an Asda cashpot coupon for £10 I splashed out the princely sum of £9 for a small 1/5L air fryer. I've tried it out with a single portion of oven chips that were done in about 12 minutes. So that's a time and probably energy saving over cooking them in the oven.

However, never having one before, I'm sure there's more to air fryers than cooking chips very quickly. Any suggestions?
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

New air fryer

Post by Furby »

1/5L that's only a mug of tea size isn't it won't fit much in there.

I never got one so can't comment from my own trials but they were supposed to be able to make chips from potatoes so not needing oven chips.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

New air fryer

Post by OurCreature »

Surely it's a 1.5L air fryer, Eccs?
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

New air fryer

Post by eccles »

Surely it's a 1.5L air fryer, Eccs?
Well, who cares about a decimal point. :blush
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

New air fryer

Post by merry »

I do EVERYthing in my airfryer, I've been astonished how it's changed my life!

Unless I'm cooking a big meal with lots of elements, I use it all the time over my conventional oven. Oh and cakes, haven't tried those although technically it is possible. After all, it IS an 'oven', a small convection oven.

I think the results are brilliant. BETTER than an oven mostly.

I sometimes spray, eg fishfingers, with a dash of spray-oil, but it's not really necessary,

Sausages
Battered or breaded fish
fish fingers
waffles
fishcakes
TOAST (as I like the crisp melba-y toast it produces)
Toasted cheese sandwiches!
Chicken portions

etc, etc
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

New air fryer

Post by eccles »

Thanks for the tips Merry. I hadn't thought of toasted cheese sandwiches. I'll probably be off out tomorrow so will need to take a packed lunch but maybe I'll try that on Saturday. I've tried fish fingers and battered fish but didn't need oil.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

New air fryer

Post by merry »

Toasted cheese sandwiches are food of the gods, air fryer style. I'd never got them right before.

CHIPS is one of the main things people use them for, but although I use my air fryer for almost everything else, I don't like airfryer chips :( but then I've always hated oven chips. Dry and tasteless. To me, chips can't be bettered deep fried. Juliet loves their dry crunchiness straight out of the AF tho. I see McCains are marketing a chip called 'air fryer chips'. Might be worth a go.

Potato croquettes though, come out perfect from the AF.

Just keep remembering it is essentially just a very fast oven/grill, and you can use it for nearly everything, and in most cases things will be better, and in other cases, good enough.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

New air fryer

Post by Furby »

I have a thing called a mini oven which I got when gas cooker stopped working and it does everything I need except boil so I just bought a boiling ring and wondered why I ever needed a cooker. The only thing mini oven can't do is frozen pizza due to size so I have make my own suitably sized or get the small kids pizzas.

£19 even without the coupon seems very cheap most air fryers are over £100 aren't they. It seems to have worked well enough for Eccles so I wonder why so much difference in price. Maybe they are sponsored by McCain's to sell more chips.