When the tough get going.

contentious or thought-provoking issues
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Richard sharp has resigned from BBC for helping Boris Johnson get a loan.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Apparently the loan recipient is on the brink of bankruptcy. 🤷🏼‍♀️
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Not just yet perhaps, as in the past year Mr Johnson has 'earned' £5 million or thereabouts. However, former MP (1983-97) Jerry Hayes - a 'wet' and therefore no ideological soulmate of Mr Johnson - has been quoted as saying:-
“Oh for God’s sake… he’s always been close to bankruptcy. The difference now, however, is that he’s earning more now than ever before. So the claim is possible but unlikely. At the moment, anyway.”
We shall see.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The leader of the welsh party has resigned.

This plan for leaders resigning to make things better doesn't seem to work very well does it. But so many leaders are resigning will new people want to be leaders. I know they get more money and free bodyguards and expensive dinners but if the future is having to resign what's the point.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Nadine Dorries
Boris Johnson

Both resigned as MPs immediately so there will be by elections. Not sure what real reasons are yet.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I think Nadine Dorries has resigned now in a fit of pique over not being given a peerage; she was not going to stand for re-election anyway, and it seems didn't take kindly to being removed from Mr Johnson's list of resignation honours. Ms Dorries herself said that “something significant” had happened to trigger her resignation after she was unexpectedly removed from the list of new peers nominated by Boris Johnson, but wouldn't say what that something was. The speculation is that the Tory party machine had her removed from the list in order to avoid a potentially damaging by-election despite her majority of 24k so she decided to give them what they didn't want anyway.

https://inews.co.uk/news/nadine-dorries ... TO=newsnow

As for Mr Johnson, who knows? It seems that the Parliamentary Standards people had decided that he lied to the House over Partygate and gave him advance notice of their ruling. If his punishment was to have been a suspension of 10 days or more from the House then he could have been subject to a recall by-election by petition which he might have been afraid of losing. The former SNP MP Margaret Ferrier (she took a train ride during lockdown while knowingly suffering from Covid) is in this boat and her recall petition starts on 20 June.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Nadine dorries on twitter gave the reason of making way for a younger mp but that has now been edited to say another mp. She is 66 so getting her state pension very soon. I suppose now Boris has resigned too we won't find out the something significant because news stories will be too busy with boris.

Boris has written a long letter with many reasons including kangaroos and witches. He might as well have not resigned as pm last summer and let them just force him out from there and would have got the queens funeral out of it at least. If margaret ferrier is only just recalled from the covid train he might have got coronation out of it as well and done the church reading. The select committee is the one about lying to parliament but there's also the enquiry about covid in general to do and Boris gave all his whatchats to them so could be anything there. Covid lockdown forced so many conversations online with distancing rules so there's a record unlike the old days of secret whispers and telling the minute writer not to write that bit down.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Boris is going out all guns blazing. He appears to believe that it was the parties that did for him, forgetting that he lied to parliament several times and it is that which he is being criticised for. You can get away with a lot but you mustn't lie to parliament about it. He knows the damage to the party and the PM he is causing but has a total lack of scruples and simply doesn't care.

"INFAMY! INFAMY! THEY'VE ALL GOT IT IN FOR ME!" :D
infamy-3350345269.jpg
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Another mp who was going anyway next year is going now. I do hope the election people can organise and get all the by elections done on one day.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Nigel Adams, MP for Selby and Ainsty. Was he a red-wall MP?
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

He's from Yorkshire but not really red wall in the recent sense. Been conservative for years with good majority. As with many northern seats very two horse racey so if it does fall probably to labour. In by elections people vote for spite though so anything could happen. Bin head man might do well.

One paper was saying Boris had a pact with rishi to honour his honours list. History should teach prime ministers that cant trust their chancellors. Messing with honours lists is unusual though as most healthy prime ministers have lists carried out by an opposition party leader never mind an ex chancellor so its tradition to not meddle thinking of own lists when time comes. Wonder what rishi thinks to be so opposed to Nadine dorries and the gang of disappointed mps. Would a few more Lordships really make much difference to number 10 so obvious move would have been to just accept the list.

It seems unfair to me that constituents whose MPs upset other MPs get the chance of by elections and others whose mp crosses the floor so they are represented by a party they chose to get rid of don't get by elections. Should be compulsory to resign if no longer representing party elected on but they never do.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The seat itself, Selby and Ainsty, was formed in 2010, but it isn't that much different to its predecessor Selby, itself formed in 1983.

Selby kicked off Tory in 1983, but a Labour chap called John Grogan started chipping away at the Tory majority in the 1987 General Election and he won the seat in 1997, staying there until the new seat, Selby and Ainsty, was formed. However, it was always a Labour marginal that Grogan managed to hang on to.

In 2010 Nigel Adams won the redrawn seat; John Grogan didn't stand and the Labour candidate didn't have the benefit of what in retrospect looks like a personal vote for him. Nigel Adams has retained the seat with an increased majority at every General Election since then and in normal times it would be regarded as a safe Tory seat with his majority of 20k. However, we no longer live in normal times.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Sir Bill Cash is the latest Tory MP to announce he will not stand at the next General Election; at least he isn't leaving straight away.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Nicola Sturgeon has been arrested. She is still an MSP and SNP member.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

They have let her go now so shouldnt announce arrests before charges. I did notice at first it was "a 52 year old woman" but the TV showed pictures of her so was easy to guess who it might be then the news started saying who it was. When there is news in general it is annoying that they show old footage they already have but because of covid and Nicola being a fan of masks for Scotland most of the pictures show people in masks so its easy to see its old footage.

Michael gove is being interviewed this morning still saying we have to wait for the report before he talks about Boris. This is another annoying news story. If people can't talk get them off and do a story about things people can talk about must be plenty happening. I wouldnt like to be in shoes of who (among government supporters) gets go go on news and say its all fine once the report is printed.

Many MPs will be standing down because its the election next year and they have to decide whether to sign up for possibly six more years from now. If they feel are too old or any other reason have to give local areas time to pick someone else. Usually they limp on until elections but things are all so horrible now who would want to. Even MPs on winning parties with big majorities dont seem to have any powers for good in horrible times. So if you can't make a difference in the direction you think for good why stick around having horrible times.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Rishi has said in a speech about ai that it was a house of lords committee that didn't like the MPs being lords. There were 8 of them. Rishi said Boris asked him to overrule the committee. So who gets a peerage isn't up to an outgoing prime minister at all but some committee. It will spoil future plans for PM to tell people please suppose him they will get a peerage now they know its not actually his own decision at all and its some committee they need to please. This committe did approve an advisor with only 2 years work so it does seem a little unfair. The disappointed mps worked for decades as an mp though so have hundreds of other MPs but must be more uk service than only 2 years advising Boris and given the messes he got into doesnt seem very well advised.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

The word on Quora is that Nadine Dorries' constituency efforts were unimpressive. However those of Jacob Rees Mogg were the opposite and he has evidently been seen to respect his constituents and to work on their behalf. Mogg gets his knighthood, Dorries gets nothing.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Boris is in hot water again because he's taken a job as columnist for the Daily Mail without following procedure.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

What can they do to him though they already successfully did their worst and got rid of him as pm even before this. I do think once a pm is no longer pm they should leave and not even be an mp any more but taking Boris' parliament pass off him that even MPs no one except a few constituents heard of get for life seems excessively unfair.

Boris is also in trouble over writing secrets in his notebooks which were handed over for an enquiry and cant be given back as too top secret. If you were pm wouldnt you keep your own secret copy notebooks for writing memoirs later. He must have thought of that as he is a writer before minister but maybe he couldn't be bothered and wouldnt have been expecting to have to hand them over.

Boris first article is about weight loss drugs that didn't work for him but he still hopes can be used for the people to help obesity crisis. I would want my money back if I was daily mail.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Another conservative mp I never heard of has resigned. So that's another by election.