contentious or thought-provoking issues
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

When the tough get going.

Post by eccles »

Burns.jpg
Mr Burns is gone.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

It's odd this chap being sacked so soon with no arrests or anything else. They are keeping quiet what he's actually done but going by what others have done and not been sacked for it must be something really really bad. The previous plan was say he has my full support etc and then when the newspapers print enough rubbish for a week ask him to resign. Liz truss obviously has a different plan but if she sacks anyone behaving badly won't have many ministers left unless they make them all be teetotal and even that isn't a guarantee.

Meanwhile a number of MPs who have long been promised peerages by Boris for being very loyal are on the list to get them now he's gone and gets a lords leaving list. I wonder if he is on his own list. Anyway panic stations at hq as they only just realised lots of MPs being peers means they can't be MPs and all the by elections will be lost.

It's up to king Charles what to do and he might say his mummy told him the most important thing is to do nothing and watch the chaos around you. At least it's not your fault then.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

You're right Furby. Previously the PM would have been told off for doing nothing. Now the PM has acted quickly she is also being told off for being ruled by the morality police.

It appears that the minister was openly flirting with and groping another man. If it was consensual I think the morality police should have shut up.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I agree with you, Eccs. I've had a look at the BBC article; they haven't spoken to the young man with whom Mr Burns was flirting and the complaint to Tory Party whips wasn't made by the young man but by an onlooker.

There might be something to be said for Mr Burns being disciplined for not being in full control of himself in a semi-public place due to a combination of medication and alcohol, or perhaps simply drinking too much and getting drunk (he had to be helped away by friends later on). I think that the PM has decided to use this episode as a Look how tough I am compared with my predecessor opportunity without really caring about the consequences for other people or about the proper facts of the matter.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

There must be more to the story than that. That sort of behaviour (and worse) goes on every Friday and Saturday night in all cities doesn't it. If people are going to be sacked just on somebody saw something as evidence anyone could just say they did to get rid of all of them.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

There must be more to the story than that.
I would hope so, but Ms Truss shows every sign of being a weird impulsive idiot so there might not be. If Mr Burns was really behaving in a totally obnoxious, debauched, hideously offensive manner I'm sure we'll know about it soon enough.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Mr Burns was allegedly the person who walked in on the ex PM and his new wife whilst he was still married to the old one.
I have also read that Mr Burns has been proposed for a knighthood in the ex PMs honours list.
These facts may or may not be true and may or may not be related.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Krazy Karting has been sacked as Chancellor today. I should think the PM will have the greatest difficulty in getting somebody credible into that job, as she has proved herself to be a back-stabber par excellence.

She's holding a press conference this afternoon; that should be interesting. :devil
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I have just seen this news and thought the same what mad person want that job with its in tray in this world etc. But they always find someone don't they. Maybe someone with an even more impossible job such as health which may turn nasty if covid comes back and they can't fix it with lockdowns this time. Or someone without a job because don't they get redundancy pay even if only last a few days.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

It's all happening isn't it. People are questioning if Truss can maintain sufficient support (pun intended).
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

From The Express

‘Go today with dignity’ Andrew Marr urges Truss to step down or face brutal Tory ousting
The Prime Minister has been pushed to resign after the Chancellor was sacked amid economic market chaos triggered by the Conservative mini-budget

Liz Truss has been urged to offer her resignation as Prime Minister after holding the title for a little over a month. Andrew Marr offered a scathing assessment of the political atmosphere as he warned the Prime Minister should “go today with dignity” rather than try and cling to power and face an internal revolt from within her own party. The news comes after the Conservative mini-budget sparked market turmoil and Liz Truss sacked Kwasi Kwarteng as Chancellor before announcing the second drastic economic policy u-turn of her short premiership.

Speaking on LBC, Andrew Marr said: "If she doesn’t go today, they will get her out next week or the week after.

Going... going... ?
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

We'll see. Maybe next time (if her party remove her) the UK electorate will be asked to confirm the next choice of the Conservative Party in a general election; we can't do worse than the 81,326 Tory party members who so obviously got it wrong last time round. Can we?
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Careful there, OC. The British public have made some spectacular choices!
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The party members only had a choice of rishi or Liz. This is the same problem at a general election people chose Boris over Jeremy. There aren't possible sensible choices. So it's not really support for the winners but a least worst option which sometimes turns out the worst.

Resigning as prime minister is rarely done soon enough they always seem to hang on well after having been told to go don't they. But then people are always saying prime ministers should go so I suppose they learn to just stop listening then when things are really bad they carry on not listening.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

It looks like Jeremy Hunt is the new Prime Minister. He says Truss is still in charge but she isn't really. It's a shame Krazy Karting had to go, but he's talented and I'm sure he'll be back. I think bets are off as to whether Truss will still be PM at the next election.
Party members' selection may well be for the chop and final selection put back into MPs' hands.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

What about the rest of the cabinet I wonder? Will they be joining this going thread soon. Didn't Liz truss fill her cabinet with people who did agree with the only thing is growth idea. If Jeremy hunt is bringing back austerity mark 2 are they all going to agree with that seems unlikely.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Pensions are next in line. Rises won't be matching inflation.
Bookies' odds on Truss going by year-end are 4/9.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

And here's a very recent quote from a former Minister:-
Asked during an interview with the GB News channel whether Ms Truss could survive, Ms Currie said: “Oh, no, of course she can't survive. Oh my goodness. I'm going to put this on record. I think she is charmless, graceless, brainless and useless."
I agree with Eccs that pensions won't rise by inflation in 2023 - the most us pensioners can hope for is wage inflation next month, payable next April.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Wage inflation is difficult to count. Where I worked they would say we had a 2% increase for example but it meant I got nothing and younger workers got 6% so it averaged at 2%. It depends whose wages are being counted. State pension is only 9k though so its hardly a fortune.

There isn't any point people trying to say enough horrid things until Liz truss gets going because she cant go until there is a way to get a replacement. UK has to have a pm. The job of deputy pm doesn't seem to exist because the so called deputy pm just sat there and let penny mordant answer the prime minister's questions.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

" charmless, graceless, brainless and useless."
Oh my goodness, I couldn't have put it better myself!

Bring back Edwina - in fact bring back John Major - or Tony Blair! - we don't seem to get proper politicians these days?! no gravitas, no depth of intellect.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City