When the tough get going.

contentious or thought-provoking issues
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

An Indian FTA in the bag then?
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

That would be good news, Eccs!
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

King Charles has started his reign with his government messing him about like they did his dear dead mummy. Remember when she missed her horse rscing because she had to unexpectedly open parliament. The king has had to come back to London but can't get back in daylight so the new prime minister is postponed until tomorrow. It's not the power cuts yet so I don't know why they can't just get on with it.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

They have been going on about Mr Sunak being the youngest person to become Prime Minister in the last 200 years. I was interested, so I had a look.

Mr Sunak is the youngest PM since Lord Liverpool got the job the day after his 42nd birthday on 8 June 1812. Mr Sunak was 42 on 12 May 2022.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Even the sun (the one in the sky not the newspaper though I suppose they aren't too happy either) is so fed up of all the messing about it's hiding behind the moon this morning until the changing of the prime minister is done with.

There should be an age limit for prime ministers. As they get a free pension for life only people already past retirement age should be considered otherwise it's too much money for too many years .
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

There should be an age limit for prime ministers. As they get a free pension for life only people already past retirement age should be considered otherwise it's too much money for too many years .
Former MP Clare Short has similar pension entitlements. Her husband was Labour MP Alex Lyon who lost his seat in 1983 and died in 1993. Clare Short became eligible for a widow's pension because of her husband's status as MP, while being an MP herself (since 1983), and has been entitled to a pension re her late husband ever since. She didn't seek re-election in 2010 (she was born in 1946) so presumably is entitled to 2 MPs pensions - one in her own right and one as her late husband's widow. She is 76 now so could have quite a number of years left to her, assuming that she is in good health.
Last edited by OurCreature on Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I didnt realise MPs got pensions too I knew they got redundancy. They seem to stick around for so little time these days even if not booted out so that must be quite a cost in pensions. Should make them wait until 67 deferred like in ordinary jobs when people resign.

No news yet of all the ministers who will be going in re shuffles. Where MPs are willing and won't be off to lordships soon should just put it all back as it was pre Boris resignations because they were resigning to get rid of Boris not because of having messed up their jobs. The budget has been reset so do same with cabinet they all know their jobs only 6 weeks since they lost them. Then make individual changes later for who rishi likes and doesn't like and what happens in news as all PM do.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Latest...
larry.jpg
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Jacob Rees Mogg(y) has also resigned (in sympathy with Larry?)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

:lol
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Matt Hancock has had the conservative MP whip removed as punishment for going on im a celebrity. This is a tv show where celebrities eat horrible disgusting food are put in cages with rats and insects to earn dinner for the group. Its not a bad punishment because Nadine dorries did that show and was later taken back and given a ministers job.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Is this in case he makes the Tories a bigger laughing-stock than they already are?
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

If only his constituency party would do that thing with a recall petition.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I don't know why people agree to go on these shows to talk about their causes. Other have tried this idea before and failed. Haven't they ever seen the shows. They are edited down to an hour between the lot of them and if there are any moments mentioning sex or anything controversial that gets shown along side contestants falling over and screaming. It's very rare there is ever time to show talk about anything tedious and the anyway the target audience aren't very interested in tedious things so producers want to show what gets viewers and advertising.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

No doubt Mr Hancock finds it flattering that somebody thinks he is a celebrity, but I don't understand why his participation is a reason for the withdrawal of the Party whip; after all Mr Johnson seems to be allowed to go off on fortnightly holidays whenever he likes during Parliamentary term time without any comeback.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Today, Mr Hancock assured us that "he hasn't lost his marbles", which begs the question, "Did he ever possess them in the first place?"
He added that "Politicians should go where the people are."

Australia? How about going where his constituents are?
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I think he means sat on the sofa watching itv prime time.

Last two shows have been in North Wales because of covid so he's lucky to get to Australia. I don't understand why it needs to be Australia other than a.nice holiday for itv crew because the show is in a forest clearing place they could set that up in a studio and import disgusting food stuffs. They do have a bridge to take contestants to the trials but there are even pretend bridges set up over UK I went on one in Madame Tussauds so studios could easily build that.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I hope he has an iron constitution. Several of his constituents have gone online vowing to vote for him for every bug-eating challenge. This of course will vindicate ITV for including him.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Eccs wrote:-
Today, Mr Hancock assured us that "he hasn't lost his marbles", which begs the question, "Did he ever possess them in the first place?"
He added that "Politicians should go where the people are."

Australia? How about going where his constituents are?
I agree 100% with you, Eccs. Your comment about him perhaps not possessing his marbles in the first place was exactly what I thought when I read this latest gem earlier today - or maybe it was yesterday evening on The Papers.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Last night on The Papers the Daily Star was urging readers to vote Hancock every time to make him undergo appalling choices of menu for the entertainment of the populace he is so eager to connect with. Alas, a headline in Hello! via Yahoo:-

Matt Hancock's hidden health condition rules him out of Bushtucker trials

though the article itself doesn't say what his hidden health condition is, and merely refers to it preventing him from undertaking 'some jungle tasks' without specifically mentioning Bushtucker Trials.

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/matt-hancock ... 15540.html