When the tough get going.

contentious or thought-provoking issues
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

This one is David Warburton, MP for Somerton and Frome, who has been suspended from the Tory party since April 2022 (these investigations are somewhat tardy) following complaints about his unwanted advances towards two women. Separately, he took cocaine in a bar following a late night sitting of Parliament. So he is packing it in. I hadn't heard of him either.

Meanwhile Nadine Dorries says she won't resign just yet until somebody explains to her why she didn't get a peerage in the Johnson Resignation Sleazeball Honours List. I'm sure there are lots of people who would be delighted to offer her some theories but they aren't the people she wants to hear from.

Even more murk has descended - it has emerged that leaked WhatsApp messages show that Sir Bernard Jenkin, who has just helped Mr Johnson on his way out of Parliament with a proposed 90 day suspension, threw a lockdown drinks event for his wife.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Ms Dorries' logic appears to be that having been told that she can't have her cake and eat it, i.e. continue to be an MP then be guaranteed a peerage when she steps down prior to the 2025 general election, then she would resign now. She was then told that it doesn't work that way and she isn't getting a peerage even if she resigns right away. So she isn't resigning until she is satisfied with the reasons for that decision. Ever hopeful for that peerage apparently because her job in the Commons is going to go down the toilet in 2025.
Of course she could do a bit of work on behalf of her constituents and earn her vote; it works for Jacob Rees Mogg.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Zac goldsmith has resigned because the government isn't doing enough to help the environment. Making people even poorer in these troubled times is unlikely to be that popular so in this case government is damnd either way.

The energy bills even with the subsidy being double the price has encouraged many people including our king to cut back on heating used but we never seen to get any praise from the climate police for this so we. Best way to help the environment is make people so poor they can't afford anything that uses energy but are competing interests lobby governments to help the poor etc.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

We are so short of resignation news that MPs are pre announcing theirs now.

Ben Wallace who is the defence secretary has announced he will be resigning just before he gets re shuffled in September and won't be standing as mp next election because his constituency has been aboloshed anyway. He was planning on being NATO chief but hasnt been chosen so will have to find himself another job.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

He was planning on being NATO chief
Ben Wallace, that is. I read a week ago that President Biden quite fancied Ursula von der Leyen for the job; I understand that when she was defence minister for Germany she was said to be more interested in creches for the Bundeswehr than guns for the Bundeswehr. Perhaps unsurprising in view of the fact that she has 7 children of her own.

So Jens Stoltenberg has got an extra year in the NATO job.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

That at least is moderately good news that the incumbent is staying. What on earth was Joe Biden thinking?
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I knew you would be pleased, Eccs! :)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Alison rose chief of nat west bank including coutts posh peoples bank has resigned after admitting to being the leak to the BBC with inaccurate information about Mr Nigel farage bank.

Its not really much of a win for Nigel because after such a fuss would the relationship with your bank ever be the same again but as no one else wants him either might need to stay there.

Nigel does stir up some popular fusses unpopular with those in charge but in this case has really hit on somethng. Banks not wanting customers is a wider problem not just millionaire political people but also cash customers and in person branch customers not going online when told. What's in common is anything that needs real staff working in england to deal with it. They have taken cost savings to a ridiculous extent and its like tesco saying we won't sell bread and milk anymore it needs too many staff and isn't profitable. Banks checking up on peoples twitter likes is a new problem beyond ridiculous I didn't know about but nothing is surprising these days.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Beat me to it, Furby!
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Nadine dorries mp has resigned. She previously threatened to resign when she didnt get a lordship and did no work anyway but some liberal MPs were going to do a vote thing against her when parliament returns.

The director of the British museum has resigned over letting millions of precious items be stolen.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

And what a huge great screed she wrote to Dishy Rishi...........looks like he's been ejected from her Christmas Card list...............she says she is writing a book about it all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66631019
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

She didn't like David Cameron or George Osborne much in their day either. Political parties do seem to have the greatest opposition from within their own party these days.
She's had another job on a new news talk TV channel for a while now anyway but it's one I don't get reception for at my house so I havent seen her. I can watch gb news the other new news channel and it's full of rebel conservative MPs and presenters who despair at the government abandoning conservative values. I watch and am shocked they get away with it sometimes and then have to take a step back and remember until very recently that was normality in this country and how did we get to where we are today. I think MPs are valued as presenters because they are MPs with noses in parliament though will they still be there once no longer MPs probably not for very long.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Communications chief Amber de Botton (note spelling!) is leaving after ten months in the job. She said it is the right time to move on, which I'm guessing that is political-speak for not being happy with the job. The PM's current press secretary, Nerissa Chesterfield, will replace her.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

People don't stay in jobs long these days do they.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Today it is the turn of Dame Sharon White to announce that she has asked the John Lewis board to begin the search for her successor; this will make her the shortest serving chairman of John Lewis in its history even if she hangs on for her full five year term to 2025.

White was appointed to her current job despite having no hands-on business experience in the private sector having been a civil servant for the previous 30 years. She has had a difficult time at JL and earlier this year JL appointed its first ever chief executive to run the business for her take on more of the day-to-day management of the partnership. The staff council at JL in May this year said they did not have confidence in John Lewis’s performance under her leadership over the past year, so it looks like it is time she got her P45.

White is married to Sir Roger Chote who ran the OBR for 10 years.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Just can't get the staff these days. It seems unequal that at the very top candidates can be recruited with no experience at all whereas lower down employers want the ideal already trained person even for jobs could train in less than a few months and need migrants to fill the vacancies.

Ms whites days were numbered from when she stopped paying the staff a bonus that was tradition for ages.
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

There was a lot of muttering when White was appointed - a couple of respected analysts pretty much stated that her only qualification for the job was being a black woman which was seen as being quite trendy. Given John Lewis's spectacularly poor performance under her tenure the board that appointed her need to go at the same time - they were told at the time it was a shockingly bad decision to appoint her, they ignored the advice and have managed to alienate both their customers and their staff. Who in their right mind appoints a career civil servant to head a commercial company operating in one of the most competitive markets around?
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Quite WR - I hope she made good use of her extra dosh as she was appointed at a salary a shade under £1 million when her previous civil service salary at Ofcom was around £350k.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

MP for East Kilbride, Strathaven and Lesmahagow, Lisa Cameron, has defected from SNP to the Conservatives.

Rishi Sunak is "delighted to welcome her".
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

It seems a big leap from SNP to conservatives doesnt it. Conservatives are unionist and that isnt scottish independent and SNP are very left wing on spending with extra taxes on scottish incomes to spend more and very liberal on issues such as being pro trans.

Some news are saying voters wont be happy but happens before. A tory mp who won a greater manchester seat in 2019 not tory since thatchers time and then promptly defected to labour so the voters got a labour mp back again. I do think if an MP defects should be a compulsory by election. If they get de whipped and are staying independant maybe let them stay in case allowed back in.