When the tough get going.

contentious or thought-provoking issues
asymphototropic

Post by asymphototropic »

When the dust settles a tad bit, maybe you can explain to me what's going on, and what freakin frackin has to do with it. You do seem to have the same problem we have over here. People are nominated who seem to be the least disgusting, which isn't a great recommendation, is it?
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

Indeed not but only the disgusting can ever get there to be in the talent pool and as Liz truss and kwasi soon found out the wider system is designed to see off even rhe wrong sort of disgusting.

Frackings role is very simple. Fracking was started but caused earthquakes which matter more in UK than USA as it's much smaller and we need all the land and then some for housing. There were protests and 2019 governemt manifesto promised to stop it. They didn't concrete over the mines quick enough and had a stay of execution and then the prime minister resigned because of lockdown parties. The next prime minister from same political party had different ideas and wanted to start fracking again. So the opposition did a vote saying let's stop fracking (which was the governements 2019 manifesto anyway) but had a sub clause of giving the opposition a piece of paper which couldn't be allowed to happen so they all had a fight in the voting lobby and the prime minister resigned after 44 daya.

Uk problem with prime ministers is every one is rhe worst prime minister ever untul the next one.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Asy, just to add to the info about fracking. There was exploratory drilling at a site not far from Blackpool, and the locals didn't like it because whenever Cuadrilla (the operators of the site) tried to do some test fracking there were small earthquakes in the area. IIRC none of these earthquakes were more than 3 on the Richter scale and most were a bit less than that and they wouldn't have caused any fuss at all in Iceland because they have lots of similar earthquakes every day and people don't notice them and their houses for a long time have been built to withstand much stronger earthquakes. But they do in the UK where it is News.

Every so often I visit that area - I drive what I think of as the back way to Fleetwood from the hotel where I stay when visiting Oop North and at the height of the fracking controversy nearly every rural house and garden on my route west of the M6 until I reached the main road to Fleetwood had at least one placard proclaiming everlasting opposition to fracking. I think HMG brought in a rule that if the earthquakes were stronger than a certain Richter reading then fracking had to stop - which of course they were every time they drilled again. So the experimental site shut down, but the infrastructure was left in place.

As to Westminster politics, the Conservatives are in a pit of their own making. The Opposition parties are all demanding a General Election which the Conservatives are fighting like crazy to avoid because they are terrified of a Canada-style wipeout next time round; back in the 1990s Kim Campbell led the ruling Conservative party there to a massive defeat where they won only 2 seats in the Canadian parliament. Therefore our Conservative party will concede a general election in only the most dire of circumstances or if public demand for a general election becomes overwhelming even though they look likely to be in office but not in power for the rest of this Parliament.

I am not sure that public demand for a general election has reached such a pitch yet.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

Current list of candidates and number of backers:
Rishi Sunak - 45
Boris Johnson - 24
Penny Mordaunt - 17

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace won't be standing but is currently leaning towards Boris Johnson. His argument is that it was Johnson who led the party to its 2019 majority.
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

Has anyone even agreed to stand yet. What if they all say thanks dear backers but it's a poison challenge too far.
asymphototropic

Post by asymphototropic »

Thanks for the excellent summaries!

For the record, fracking is despised here as well, and massively opposed, but we have so many billionaires who think it is wonderful that they always find a way to do it.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

And now - a Labour MP Resigns!!

Chris Matheson, Labour MP for the City of Chester, has resigned following the upholding of two complaints of serious sexual misconduct made by one of his staffers. Mr Matheson continues to deny the veracity of the allegations but the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards Kathryn Stone upheld two allegations against him of sexual misconduct so he has resigned.
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

Has anyone even agreed to stand yet.
I think they're sounding people out to see if they've got a chance of making the 100 backers.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Penny Mordaunt has formally tossed her hat into the ring, while Mr Sunak quietly is amassing support before declaring himself; he is said to have 82 backers so far.
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

Why would anyone of them want the job. Even if they aren't deposed before then they will be joining the list of those who got going in 2 years maximum aren't they. Anyone who loses elections gets gone. And there's so much bad stuff waiting for them the next election is least of their problems really.

Boris is on his way back from holidays not sure why MPs are allowed holidays in term time with all the long holidays anyway. Jeremy hunt was also on holidays when sent for to be the emergency rollback chancellor. Should be banned from leaving the country in term time except for essential government business. Boris would have had to come back anyway to vote on Monday but it seems crazy he would want to be pm again because it's less money and more work for him.

Last time only rishi got over 100 first time. Penny got nearly 100 so maybe she has been lined up to absorb a lot of votes thereby preventing other candidates getting 100 then she does an Andrea leadsome and stands down preventing a members vote like happened with theresa may. Even if it is members vote it's online only vote so a lot of very old or very busy members won't be ready to vote with the right app and digital id nonsense will they. Maybe the con clubs have an open day where members can turn up and be helped to vote but that's probably not allowed.
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

The Boris Johnson camp has said that they have 100 backers. Gawd help us if they're right.
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

Rishi has announced he is a candidate. He may have been popular as chancellor but that was when he had lots of borrowed money to give to various benefit causes and he chose to protect people in good jobs from suriving in universal credit so set up furlough and then helped pubs and restaurants with eat out to help out when they are clearly non essential and there are far too many places to eat out anyway and then had so many ways to help energy bills it's was very complicated and lots of duplication with some people getting help over and over again when fuel bills are similar for most households it wasn't really a sensible plan just throw money in all chosen directions . So far we have only seen generous give away rishi but thats not the job this week and we haven't heard what his plans for austerity are.

Penny is giving speeches saying she understands being poor and even put on her common voice when we know she has a nice speaking voice she was a main character at king Charles emergency coronation thing and did a good job. As the job now is austerity mark 2 does it matter she knows what it's like to be poor she still has to make most people poorer to get by.

If she hasnt got 100 backers though what's the point they shouldn't have been allowed to announce until they had 100 names. Was quite a clever move to make them have named names for the 100 as it stops MPs promising all the candidates they will vote for them when it was anonymous backers.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

:lol :lol

Mr Johnson has withdrawn from the race to become leader of the Conservative Party and therefore Prime Minister.

He claims he did have enough supporters, they just hadn't got round publicly declaring themselves. Only around 60 MPs had actually formally declared their support for him. Mr Sunak has more than 140 declared supporters, including Suella Braverman. At the time of his withdrawal Ms Mordaunt had 24 declared supporters so she needs to get another 76 or so out of the woodwork before nominations close tomorrow afternoon, or it is Coronation Rishi time.

Who knows? Will Mr Johnson's alleged 102 supporters (his figure) all switch to Ms Mordaunt to take it to the whole membership and stop Rishi again?
Patience

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Patience »

That must be the first time he has pulled out early. :devil :rofl :rofl
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

None of it makes any sense because wouldn't Boris have known all this "can't govern without a united party in parliament" stuff on Friday especially as he has very recent experience of that being the case. He could have stayed on his holidays.
Patience

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Patience »

I think he is such a self centred person that it wouldn’t have occurred to him that he wouldn’t get the minimum numbers.
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

Will boris leave the commons now then he can earn money and go on holidays easier. Maybe it's been agreed he can have a lordship.

If Boris cant govern with 102 how can penny govern with 25. Boris supporters will mostly switch to rishi because thats who they see as most likely to give them ministers jobs. How can rishi govern anyway with no money to throw at problems thats the most difficult question.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Patience jested
That must be the first time he has pulled out early.

What a naughty joke, Patience! :rofl
Wildrover

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

But a funny joke nonetheless :rofl
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

With literally 2 minutes to go before nominations closed, Chris Mason excitedly informed us that Penny Mordaunt had tweeted her withdrawal from the race to be the leader of the Conservative Party. Sir Graham Brady has announced that the leader is Rishi Sunak who will address Members in the committee room where he has just announced Mr Sunak's victory at 2:30 pm this afternoon.

A coronation after all. I'm sure the political pundits would love to know how close Mr Johnson and Ms Mordaunt got to the magic 100.

Incidentally, some of you may be interested to know that Ms Mordaunt worked for a time as Director of Communications at the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea from 2001 to 2003. In Ms Mordaunt's Wikipedia page there is this quote:-

Lord Moylan, who was the deputy leader of Kensington and Chelsea council...........said: "We had to get rid of her after a few months because she was incompetent."

Coincidentally Nancy and I were talking this morning, amongst other things, about Ms Mordaunt and Nancy told me that she knew somebody who had worked for the same local government authority as Ms Mordaunt (presumably this one) and this person told her that Ms Mordaunt had been out of her depth, incompetent, and had a fear of conflict situations. Perhaps our country has had a lucky escape.........................
Last edited by OurCreature on Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.