When the tough get going.

contentious or thought-provoking issues
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

The yahoo artlcle says he's recovering from trenchfoot.

I think it's the missing marbles.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

This time it's Sir Gavin Williamson, the Minister without Portfolio, for bullying, foul-language emails etc. Why he was given a knighthood and brought back into government I cannot imagine as everybody knew he is useless, and now we know he is a very nasty piece of work indeed as well. If this proves to be the final end of his ministerial career, good riddance.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

That was his job as chief whip wasn't it and he couldn't stop behaving that way in other roles.

In some places there are sayings e.g. go boil your head but people dont mean literally boil your head so I am sure he didn't really mean slit throats. But were things have gone really wrong especially in lockdown is all this putting everything in typing instead of just saying.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Matt Hancock didn't win the jungle he was third. A women footballer I never heard of was the winner.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Lady Susan Hussey who apparently didn't understand that a black woman could be 100% British born and bred.
I wonder what she thinks of the PM? Anyway, the poor old dear has resigned. It was only a voluntary post anyway.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Lady Susan Hussey was a Lady of the Bedchamber and Lady in Waiting to the late Queen for decades, and is godmother to the Prince of Wales. Her husband, the late 'Duke' Hussey lost a leg at Anzio in WWII and when he left the Army he ended up as Managing Director of Associated Newspapers and then Chief Executive and Managing Director of Times Newspapers. He became Chairman of the BBC when the then chairman died; it was a period when the BBC and the Tory Government were at loggerheads, and within 3 months he had got rid of Director-General Alasdair Milne. Later on he fell out with D-G John Birt over the latter's management style and the Panorama interview with Diana.

Wheels within wheels within wheels.........................
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Ian Blah Blah Blackford is standing down as SNP's parliamentary leader. Some MPs soothed to sleep by his boring soliloquies may regret his resignation but I imagine that most will not miss him.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

It looks like there's a bit more to Ngozi Fulani, the woman who accused Susan Hussey of racism, than meets the eye. There are indications that it may have been a set-up.
She rolled up in African ceremonial dress for starters which could have been designed to make one ask where it is from.
Her parents are from Barbados, immigrants from the Windrush generation.
Her real name is Marlene Headley.
She runs a domestic violence charity for African and Caribbean women that has in the past refused to help mixed race women and been accused of racism.
She has history of attacking the royal family on social media including falsely accusing Charles and Camilla of domestic violence against Meghan Markle.
Set up or not, she doesn't appear to like royalty much so why was she there?
Her charity reportedly has questionable spending habits.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

It so happens that last night I looked up Sistah Space (Ms Fulani's charity) on the Charity Commission website. Its first 2 years were fairly uneventful, and then in 2020/21 they suddenly had a huge jump in their donations - from a few thousand pounds to just over £260k. The Charity Commission website says Sistah Space isn't recognised by HMRC for gift aid.

I looked at each year's published accounts, and although Ms Fulani founded the charity she has never been a Trustee. Their accounts have used a legal provision to avoid a proper audit every year, they have an 'examination of accounts' instead. The first 2 sets of accounts were independently examined by someone called Rosanna Lewis; they also have a volunteer called Rosanna and if she is the Rosanna who conducted the independent examination it wasn't independent was it. Alarm bells are ringing for me because the signature of Rosanna Lewis on the second set of accounts is nothing like her signature on the first set of accounts.

The latest set of accounts (2020/21) were signed on behalf of the trustees by Ms Fulani even though she isn't listed as a trustee at the top of the accounts. It looks as if she is claiming to have conducted an independent examination of the accounts as there is no other signature on that page.

It is my opinion that the Charity Commission should be taking a very good look at the accounts of Sistah Space.

https://register-of-charities.charityco ... al-returns

And here is a link to a website that has a bit more detail about Ms Fulani.

https://www.thefamousnaija.com/2022/11/ ... raphy.html
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Interesting findings OC. There is something deeply troubling about this. I suspect that the real victim is Susan Hussey.
Maybe I'm overthinking this but Marlene Headley appeared to be using dress and renaming to adopt a blatant cultural appropriation to transform her image from ordinary Londoner (and there's no shame in that) to proud West African. The questioning by Lady Hussey risked exposing that. And we can't have that can we?
Hopefully now she has been seen above the radar with all the publicity the Charities Commission will do as you suggest. Ms Headley may well regret her fifteen minutes of fame.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

A point made on Quora:
She represents a charity that aims to defend abuse against women. Can she not cope with an 83 year old woman?
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Further to my original post about the Sistah Space accounts I find on a Sky News article that independent examiner Rosanna Lewis co-founded Sistah Space with Ms Fulani - so I don't see how she can be an independent examiner because of that connection.

The rules about who can be an Independent Examiner of any organisation are quite strict. I act as Independent Examiner for a local organisation of which a friend and former colleague of mine is Treasurer; if I were a member of this organisation I wouldn't be able to act as its Independent Examiner.

Their latest set of accounts were submitted 69 days late, due to illness and eventual resignation of their accounts officer. They say in their accounts
We have now engaged an independent accounting firm and are confident that any issues are
a thing of the past.
I am going to assume for now that the points I highlighted in my earlier post probably are errors due to ignorance and see what accounts Sistah Space produce for 2021/22. If I still have doubts after that I might consider whether I can put up with a bit of hassle and raise my concerns with the Charity Commission.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

Her charity is described as "Britain's leading domestic abuse charity for black women". Can you imagine the furore if someone founded a domestic abuse chariity only for white women?
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I don't believe in Karma, but if I did, this would be it.

https://thebuckinghampalacetattler.quor ... -spotlight
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

An article taken by Yahoo! from the Daily Telegraph.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/why-valid-ask ... 38998.html

The author, Esther Krakue, is a black Ghanaian-born writer and political commentator. She elaborates on some points that Eccs made more briefly in this thread.

Meanwhile people other than myself have raised concerns about the finances of Sistah Space and the Charity Commission is said to be investigating, though Sistah Space claims they have not been approached by the Commission.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tions.html
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Andrew bridgen MP has been sacked for making comments against covid vaccines in the house of commons.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Jacinda ardern the prime minister of New Zealand is resigning. Probably before she loses because the prime minister during covid gets blamed for covid and all it brought don't they and she was very strong on covid measures that worked at first like banning free movement and closing borders to her islands.
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Furby wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:08 am Jacinda ardern the prime minister of New Zealand is resigning. Probably before she loses because the prime minister during covid gets blamed for covid and all it brought don't they and she was very strong on covid measures that worked at first like banning free movement and closing borders to her islands.
I'm really bummed about it - she's been hands down the best prime minister we've had since Helen Clark and David Lange, and she had a lot more crazy stuff thrown at her. Covid measures weren't perfect, but they were very effective at keeping people alive, and in the long run we all got more freedom of movement, association and schooling than the US and UK. Plus multiple national tragedies, and being supernaturally empathetic throughout. (My daughter has a really lovely personal letter, responding to one she sent during lockdown.)

Why? I suspect she was more worried that she might win the next election, and be stuck in the job for another three years - in New Zealand we tend to elect the same prime minister for three terms, it's the fourth that's really competitive. She's just tired is a pretty reasonable reason. At a personal level, she has to have a crazy restrictive personal security detail because the death threats have been so intense, the death threats include her daughter, there were malicious actors spending really hateful rumours about her partner. And - she originally turned down the leadership of her party because she was trying to get pregnant and didn't want to try to do both, got pregnant by accident during her Hail Mary campaign, and somehow did manage to do both with the support of her partner and family. It's a reasonable hope that she might want to spend more time with her kid while her kid is still young.
(she/her)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Nadim Zahawi has been sacked before he resigned. He is chairman of the party at the moment whatever a chairman does but was previously chancellor and Vaccine minister before that.

He didnt pay a few million of his taxes and was fined by HMRC but claimed it was wasnt on purpose. So looks like it has been discovered it was a bit on purpose after all.

I dont know why he accepted a job as chancellor knowing he was in a mess with hmrc could have made up some excuse for not wanting that job. A few months later even Liz Truss cant find anyone except Jeremy Hunt ( who must have been well down her list of possible ministers) to accept the job so Nadim could have got away with refusing a poison challice. Still have been Very Bad that a minister owed taxes but not as bad as being chancellor at the time in charge of other peoples taxes.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

It also shows appalling misjudgement (just another appalling misjudgement, they are starting to look like serial carelessness now) by Dishi Rishi in claiming in PMQs the other week that Mr Zahawi had been ever so transparent about his tax affairs; some rumours claim that he knew about Zahawi's tax penalty last October. Dishi Rishi looks a bit out of his depth right now, and he hasn't got a lot of time to put it right.

The boot was really put in by the head of HMRC Jim Harra when he told the MPs that HMRC doesn't dish out penalties for innocent errors (though some might disagree with him!); that meant that Zahawi had been neither innocent nor careless and his position therefore became untenable.

And well done Daisy for sticking up for Jacinda Arden - I liked her and I'm sorry she's decided to stand down from her job.