merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Tough 2 (10 Mar)

Post by merry »

What links:

9 Child; Coutts; Gosling; Hoare?

10 Melbourne; Sydney; Rio de Janeiro?

11 Hambletonian; Mambrino; Otho; Pumpkin; Whistlejacket?

12 YouTuber Jimmy Donaldson; actor Laurence Tureaud; fitness coach Derrick Evans?

13 Denmark (1864); Austria (1866); France (1871)?

14 Big Brother; Deal or No Deal; Splash!; The Traitors; The Voice?

15 Giant’s Causeway; 96 and 98 St Mark’s Place, New York; Wiltshire thatcher Lot Long?
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Tough 2 (10 Mar)

Post by Furby »

9. Snobby banks
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Tough 2 (10 Mar)

Post by OurCreature »

10 Melbourne; Sydney; Rio de Janeiro? The only cities in the Southern Hemisphere to have staged the summer Olympic Games - 1956, 2000, 2016.

13 Denmark (1864); Austria (1866); France (1871)? Prussia's beaten opponents in war in those years. The Danes lost the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein in the 1864 war and Palmerston (PM at the time) discovered the limits of British power compared with that of Prussia. Thereafter members of the Prussian royal family were not invited to the little summer jollies that the Danish royal family were wont to inviting other European royals to.

The 1866 war was to decide which German state was Boss state; at the time the Austrians didn't regard the result as final and hoped for a 'next time'; however a bit later on Bismarck 'tied the trim Prussian frigate to the worm-eaten Austrian galleon' and 'next time' turned out to be Austria-Hungary v Serbia in 1914 and we all know what happened next.

As for 1871 this led to the setting up of the German Empire with Kaiser Bill being proclaimed as such in the palace at Versailles. Plus some entertaining episodes such as the escape of Gambetta (a French politician) from Paris in a balloon, and the Empress Eugenie fleeing the country with her American dentist, the Emperor Napoleon III having been captured by the Prussians after losing the Battle of Sedan; he lost his throne as well, as his regime was displaced by the Third Republic.

Incidentally, I wonder if the answer to #9 is indicative of the circles in which Grauniad quiz-setters move, jested OC who looked up the answer.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Tough 2 (10 Mar)

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

14 Big Brother; Deal or No Deal; Splash!; The Traitors; The Voice?
Reality show formats that originated in the Netherlands?
(she/her)
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

Tough 2 (10 Mar)

Post by Wildrover »

11. Whistlejacket is a famous horse painting by George Stubbs so I'd guess the others are famous racehorses too.
12. Second time in 2 weeks there's been a question on here that was asked in my Wednesday quiz. I now know that Laurence Tureaud is Mr. T and I knew Derrick Evans was Mr. Motivator so I'd guess that other guy must be known as Mr. Something..
15. Lot Long was famoously the subject of the cover design for Led Zeppelin IV and the Houses of the Holy album cover features Giant's Causeway so I assume the other is also a Led Zeppelin album cover design
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Tough 2 (10 Mar)

Post by merry »

Yayyyy!!! Full House! :clapping

9 Private banking families.
10 Only southern hemisphere Olympic host cities.
11 Horses painted by George Stubbs.
12 Mr: MrBeast; Mr T; Mr Motivator.
13 Defeated militarily by Prussia.
14 TV formats that originated in the Netherlands.
15 Appear on Led Zeppelin album covers: Houses of the Holy; Physical Graffiti; IV.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City