March - The beginning of Summer

Chat about anything and everything
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Why are there so many hoops through which we have to jump to get things right...............it all makes work for the working man (or woman) to do!

On a pleasant note, I posted yesterday on Facebook about my current afflictions and not being allowed to drive etc, and I was so touched by the responses. 6 comments, mostly from Brits plus an emigré Brit who lives with his family in New Zealand plus one Icelander. And I had 12 'care' likes as well; 9 from Icelanders, 2 from Brits and 1 from a Swede; that was Swedish Anna who used to look after the Chaircat when the old lady was weak and frail. So I feel very well cared about right now with all that plus the kindness shown to me on our own Board as well. :grouphug

One of the Icelanders is a lady who I haven't seen for years, but I send her a Christmas card every year and her ex (who is a very good friend of mine) makes sure she receives it (they remained friends) because I use him as my Icelandic postbox for his family. When they were together she used to prepare lovely dinners for Mum and myself, and I don't forget kindnesses like that.

One time she made a lovely savoury loaf. It looked like a glazed loaf of bread, and she had taken 2 or 3 slices and laid them flat end to end. Then she had covered the slices with a layer of goodies, then more bread, then another layer with a different filling and so until it was as high as she wanted. Then bread on the top and the two end crusts at each end, glazed and then into the fridge until it had set. When she brought it to the table Mum and I clapped our hands in glee because we had eaten it elsewhere and we knew it would be really good. My friend said wistfully that she made it for him only on his birthday, so we were greatly honoured!

Happy memories.............. :D
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Savoury loaf sounds good. I remember the Two Fat Ladies (both have died now) scooping out the innards of a rectangular loaf, stuffing it with things including a fillet steak (!) and re-forming it. It was called something like 'Shooters' Pie'. As I recall they served to a horde of hungry teenage Etonians fresh from a muddy rugby match.

I won't be in chat tonight because I have STPD home and we shall be playing Ticket to Ride and making music together. I hope some of you do go!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I won't be in chat tonight because I have STPD home
I knew that would be so when you told me that she had just arrived, in time to help you unpack/eat the Birthday Cheeses! :rofl
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by asymphototropic »

March hugs to one and all. OC, it sounds like your medical difficulties are being well tended, and going the right direction. Everybody have fun and safe travel!

Thingummie minor and Thingummie esquire are just returned from Sri Lanka, where they did a lot of naturalist touring.

I have been absolutely swamped with work. Much against my better judgement I accepted a Biology 101 lecture series and two separate laboratories to teach. And at the last minute, the college executives, who must justify their paychecks somehow, changed textbooks on us. So I cannot use last semester's slide deck because it doesn't align with the current textbook. Scrambling to glue together the lecture series. le sigh.

And both of the household cars have conked out simultaneously. My antique Toyota wont be out of the repair shop before Monday, and then my old Honda will limp in to have its transmission gone over.

So no grocery shopping. I have had nothing but random cupboard items to offer Thingummie major for Easter weekend feasting. I did manage to make a cream pie, which came out quite nice. I tried making the pastry crust with some added vodka to the usual ingredients. This is supposed to leave the crust especially flaky because the alcohol boils away leaving bubbly layers. It worked great. But I must acquire some cheap American Smirnoff for next time. Wasting Russian vodka on a disappearing act seems rather wasteful, dunnit?

The pie had a thin layer of almond paste at the base, followed by Madagascar vanilla cream filling layer, a chocolate mousse layer, and some fresh whipped cream.

We have flowers abloom everywhere!
Attachments
bloomy.jpg