Power cuts

The Good, the Bad and the Annoying.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Furby »

Oliver dowden who is someone in government has said people should be stocking up on batteries and buying torches and battery radios in case of power cuts. He also had concerns so much we do is on the internet now and of course no power no internet.

No internet is the worst problem really because it's not so many people rely on the internet for everything now it's that everything almost demands the internet. Pretty much can't do anything and if you try e.g. bank accounts they treat you like a lunatic criminal for even thinking might be possible. Even if people are willing to use the old ways the infrastructure isn't there to use any more.

Even a battery radio what's the point of it. Hardly any channels now on old type radio are there. I know from Manchester bomb in 1996 that local radio shows move to constant music only and no news in times of trouble. When we most need to know news there's always a media blackout to keep truth from us to stop panic. In 1996 though we still had copper phone lines and they are all being switched off so phones only work over internet. I hope Oliver dowden has that factored in to his new contingency plan. He drew short straw being in charge of that because will be like the pandemic plan with no hope to work in reality and he will be on select committee in a few years explaining why there wasn't a working plan for the impossible problem.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Power cuts

Post by eccles »

I remember when John Prescott was given the Transport ministry and told his brief was an integrated transport policy. This was an impossible job to tie up road, rail and air travel and was designed to keep a nuisance minister of limited ability out of the way while the real job of running the country was left to the more able members. I suspect this job for Oliver Dowden is similar.
I think MoLA should be a designated title, although maybe too many currently in office would qualify.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Furby »

The UK government who are unlikely to be around to carry out the plans are now saying they will agree to build more gas fired power stations to avoid power cuts if the wind isn't windy enough (or too windy and it needs to be switched off for safety) to run the renewable electrics. This won't please the just stop everything lot will it so more protests to annoy us all. It's not new information that relying on just renewables means power cuts though is it may just can't pretend otherwise any more.