Power cuts

The Good, the Bad and the Annoying.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Furby »

There aren't any yet but I thought I would start a topic as it's quite likely this winter isn't it. Worst case scenario but everything this decade has been an even worser version of worst case scenario so that's the new world we live in. Our new UK pm has gone away for an autumn break in Prague to talk about energy amongst other things so looks like other Europe countries have same problems too.

The original plan was the that the high prices for energy would reduce usage to that which national grid can cope with. But now bills are subsidied reduced usage is less likely making power cuts more likely. There was going to be an information campaign telling people to use less energy to avoid power cuts but the new pm doesn't like that idea because it's not her job to tell people what to do.

Because it's really dangerous to be switching gas off and on again the cuts will be to electricity which won't burn gas hoping to save enough for people who use raw gas. Seems a bit unfair to me that it's all gas fault but it's the electric thats cut. So many appliances need electric to work even if they run on gas.

Our merry is an experienced power cut victim so she can give us some tips.
I have candles from the olden days but thats all so far. If we get notice I can fill a flask with hot water to make a cup of tea.

So much of life depends on electric now doesn't it food in the freezer, WiFi routers, paying by card in shops, ordering online, everything really. It will be a tough winter if we get power cuts. Because so much depends on electic i think they should work on plans to safely cut the gas off instead. People can get electric heaters and kettles to get by with no gas but there isn't an alternative for most electric items.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Power cuts

Post by OurCreature »

My understanding is that the PM attended this conference in the hope of persuading the EU to keep the interconnectors switched on during winter so that EU electricity and gas can continue to come to the UK when the UK needs it.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Wildrover »

There's not a holy prayer of there being power cuts this winter - it would be fatal for the Tories. Just a bit of Guardian scaremongering. If you're worried buy a little electric fan heater for £14.99 from Argos.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Power cuts

Post by OurCreature »

If you're worried buy a little electric fan heater for £14.99 from Argos.
:lol that's a bit like shops charging double for left-handed tea cups.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Furby »

Ha ha do they sell battery powered ones. I have two already anyway one cost 39.99 and has a thermometer and coloured lights. The cheap ones used to be 9.99 so thats more inflation.

I can't see the EU sending us their gas and electric when they don't have enough themselves. They already have agreed to cut their demand by 10% while we are doing nothing to reduce demand how is that fair. And if pipes are sabotaged might not be their choice.

The plans are not new plans (so probably written in better times before so much was smart and medical care at home was as common) but will need king Charles to agree them. He is fond of the climate so no doubt will be wanting to sign then as soon as possible. It's what the climate people always wanted people being forced to use less energy isn't it.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Wildrover »

I researched storage heaters last night - they're not cheap!! The ones I looked at ranged from £400 to £800.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Furby »

I don't know why storage heaters are so dear they are only some bricks aren't they. And they need installing can't just be plugged in so cost of that added on too.

It does seem the way with anything that might seem be a good idea that it's very expensive and so isn't a good idea at all. .. I can't have caivity wall insulation as there are no cavities. There is external wall insulation and the energy saving trust did a survey thing way back but it cost over 10k and that wasn't including any other building works needed to make the walls ready. Back in those olden days they estimated it would pay for itself in 38 years. It's probably less now with cost of energy but still over a decade at least. And insulation only keeps heat in you need the heat there in first place yet people still go on and on about insulation as though the solution itself.

I have oil radiators that just plug in and they do stay warm when switched off but not for three hours.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Furby »

It's been leaked that power cuts will last a week and only fm radio will still operate. I don't even have FM radio now except on the TV which won't work in power cuts. It will be a shock for young people if it happens because they are used to having power packs for phones but that's no good when the servers and transmitters are cut off as well as the individual.

Government expects the power to be back on in a week but it was off for longer just one area in the north after storms. The government won't be the ones fixing it will they. I can manage a week except for water. That's their most serious problem I think people can only live 2 days without water. If the plan is for weather or sabotage there won't be warnings to stock up and fill every bottle in the house either. In protect and survive we had to use plastic bags as toilets but there's no plastic bags these days are there with all this bagless shopping.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by merry »

A week?!

Really?!

I can't see that happening really... ?
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Panikos »

It's right to prepare and maybe we could have a topic on ideas for that. My phone will last nearly two days with light use, but it would get heavy use if everything else was down. I guess I need power packs?

Anyway what is being reported about this is misleading and worrying people needlessly. We have always examined the possibility of power cuts (along with plague, fire, earthquake and so on). When Covid began some people said "oh they had a team working on dealing with plague last year .. so THEY KNEW!!!" but it's just a routine thing we do.

The way it works you get a team to work out the implications and they picked a week. Not 5 days or 8 which is how it would be in the real world, but a 'round figure' for their report. The report will list the consequences for each day it lasts and whether it is a local power cut or national etc and help make plans to avoid problems.

A source told the paper: "The fact they’re talking about it now means they have a real concern it could happen.” but it doesn't mean that at all, that's just something people say.

Remember the companies want to sell you electricity. without your money they are bankrupt. They will crawl over broken glass to get your money. :lol: Didn't Robert Heinlein say something about being able to rely on human greed?

The report is considering damage from lightning strikes, floods and yes the chance that President Putin will send Ninjas to sabotage us, but none of those are serious dangers. Certainly not to the whole country at the same time.
If there were an electricity shortages we would rotate usage by telling people in each region we were cutting them off at such a time for 2 hours or whatever. Also there are some heavy industry users that could be cut back if need be.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by TRavine »

I can manage a week except for water. That's their most serious problem I think people can only live 2 days without water.
I'm not a huge prepper, but I bought an MSR Guardian a while ago. It's one of the best water purifyers out there. It's not exactly cheap, but it's worth it imo. Was originally developed for the US army to take with them to war zones. It purifies water and filters out any germs and bacteria, to make it drinkable. The only thing it can't filter out is chemical waste (like when factories lead their shit into a river) but unless you drink out of the river Thames 😅😜, it should purify the water you find in most wells and streams outside just fine (moving water is always safer than lakes, but they say it's even safe for puddles of rain water...)

I bought it with two things in mind: Firstly, I sometimes go on longer hiking trips and carrying a ton of water bottles is heavy, so I just bring the purifyer and a small empty bottle, and then purify any natural water I find. Works great!

And secondly: While I hope that we'll never be in a situation where we seriously need to concern ourselves with a lack of drinkable water, IF we ever should, I think it's a handy thing to have, because you don't need to stack up on water bottles and in case you need to leave your home for any reason, it's also portable.

https://www.msrgear.com/ie/water-treatm ... 02370.html

Generally I think it's always good to try and be prepared for some things, like have food for a few weeks and stuff like that. Maybe an alternative heating source,...but generally I would not cause myself too much stress with worrying. According to reports, even an unintentional blackout in Europe would likely not last longer than three days. I have some friends who are seriously concerned, but I think IF such a thing ever happens, it will concern everyone and we will find ways to deal with it. So, try to prepare a bit (Inthink especially some food, water and heating are important), but I wouldn't go all out and become a dedicated "prepper". That's a lot of money to spend for a scenario that might (hopefully) never happen.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Patience »

I wonder if they are thinking there might be a week where energy rationing is in place. The various scenarios can be found in the appendices in this document.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf

When the power goes off will be determined by the letter on your bill (I am Q and the scenario)
Attachments
8E873542-3FA6-499B-92DA-301AE38C3EAC.jpeg
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Patience »

In a week where Level 1 disconnections applied, I would be off once on Thursday and Twice on Friday. The exact timings are shown in Annex 1
Attachments
4E37472C-E168-4F8E-A3EA-AD9183990DAD.jpeg
E688222E-F5DF-4142-9A70-1AE795E98777.jpeg
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Patience »

BTW this document has been around for years and was last revised in 2019.
There has been all sorts of emergency planning happening that we are generally oblivious of.

Have fun deciphering it.

BTW, it’s all very well having mobile phones. Does anyone know if the masts have backup power and how long they last?

A week or so back when I first saw this document, I investigated in a battery FM radio and a couple of cathedral candles.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Furby »

National grid have cancelled the power cuts for tomorrow while the football is on.

I looked on an old bill and my letter is s so mine will be Friday saturday Sunday. I presume the letter stays the same. I haven't had a new bill for years ever since I submitted a one off meter reading to help out in lockdown and first sniff of an email address they converted me to online accounts against my will so all I get is an email telling me how much i owe and no proper bills. I can't even do the meter readings anymore as they switched them off and said must go to online account which i can't so I have to ring up.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Power cuts

Post by eccles »

Does anyone know if the masts have backup power and how long they last?
This question was asked recently on an IT forum that I frequent. The conclusion was that most mobile phone masts do not have backup power. What might save you is the fact there's often more than one mast that might reach you, particularly in urban areas, so if you're lucky when one mast goes offline you may get a signal from one nearby where power is still on.
I've played around with this extensively because I use the mobile network for all my comms, and initially my nearest mast was having a lot of downtime. I think I could probably get a 3G or 4G phone signal from up to 7 miles away from the bedrooms or bathroom.
You might wish to find out where your local phone masts are here:
https://www.cellmapper.net
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Panikos »

Apparently electricity shortages are worse because it's not been windy enough. I remember when questions about how wind power would work when it wasn't windy were brushed aside in the rush to embrace renewable/green energy. "Don't worry about that" they said. "let's all join hands and sing a song about saving the planet" they said.

And of course buying electricity from other countries was so much more sensible than building nasty smelly power stations that might pollute the planet. Apparently it's fine if you effectively export your pollution because at least you're not doing it and you can still wear badges proclaiming your commitment to a cleaner world.

I don't want power cuts, but we surely deserve them.

We'll probably scrape through though. After all we just need to tell the French that we're willing to pay 3 times or 5 times or 10 times the usual price. Even as we speak the government will be in discussions with loan sharks on how to finance that plan.

Apparently there could be water shortages too, but there are plans to spray crops with Gatorade instead.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by Furby »

France is asking to import less electricity to Britain so France has more so that doesn't sound as though importing energy is reliable even from seemingly friendly states.

It's down to the snowy weather rather than power stations messing about I think but 2000 homes in Shetland have power cuts. I hope our hard facts resident is ok and has plans to avoid hyperthermia in situations like this.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Power cuts

Post by eccles »

"let's all join hands and sing a song about saving the planet" they said.
France is asking to import less electricity to Britain so France has more so that doesn't sound as though importing energy is reliable even from seemingly friendly states.
Altogether now..
"Kumbaya Lord, Kumbaya...." :D
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Power cuts

Post by merry »

Eccs :D

2000 homes in Shetland have power cuts. I hope our hard facts resident is ok and has plans to avoid hyperthermia in situations like this.
Hear hear - hope you are OK there, Babsie :hugs
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City