North and South Story (add a few lines)

merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Thanks to Colleen for reminding me to bring this over!
Dear Miss Hale,

I hope your life in London is a happy one, and I doubt you ever look back at your time in Milton, sad as it was.

I regret to inform you the mill is failing, and I soon will be the Master of Marlborough Mills no more.

I think I know this will not be welcome news to you, with your kind heart, but please know the Mill will prosper under some other hand than mine sometime, so do not worry for it, nor for the workers you cared for so much.

If ever you wanted to meet again (unlikely though it is; you must not feel obligated) just send word.

I wonder sometimes if you know that you are the most beautiful, intelligent and fascinating woman I have ever known.

I have hesitated and hesitated over the previous line - I would find it unbearable to offend you - but it is simply the truth.

Yours,

John Thornton.

-----------------------

Margaret Hale, at her writing desk in London, held a letter in her hand. She had seen his writing once or twice - surely, however, it could not be.... what had been between them was over.

It was over, but not finished.

She reached for her little letter-opener, a fine gold stylus with one small blue stone set in its handle, and noticed, as she had noticed many times before, that the blue of the stone was the exact colour of John Thornton's eyes....

Margaret opened the letter and held it in her hands a moment before she began to read. She missed him, and wondered if he had an idea how dearly he was loved. She shook her head, and thought, "Of course, not, how could he?"

When she read his words that the mill was failing, she felt her heart sink. The proud and hardworking man she knew was brought low by circumstances, not by bad decisions. He was the most compassionate mill master in Milton. This failure was not to be born!

Margaret continued reading, and when she got to the line about what he thought of her, she felt herself smile. It would seem that he did not think so badly of her afterall. She also realized from the next line that he was still plagued by insecurity.

Margaret laid the letter down, and picked up her quill to begin a response.

Dearest Mr. Thornton,

I wonder if you would care to meet me in London some time? There are some nice walks in Hyde Park.

Margaret.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John sat at his desk in his office, staring at the letter in his hands. He could not believe his eyes. His hands were shaking. Was Margaret actually inviting him to visit her in London? He read the letter again. Yes, yes she was!

He glanced at the clock. It was three hours until the next train to London. He jumped to his feet and headed for the door. He had just enough time to pack a bag and leave Williams with instructions.

f anyone had told John that he would be on a train to London in the afternoon, he would have regarded them as insane.

With everything going on at the mill, and so many things that still needed to be finished here, it was one of the worst times for him to leave, and yet, dutiful as he always had been, he could not help himself.

Her letter had given him something he had thought he had given up forever: It had given him hope, and for once in his life, John had thrown caution to the wind and was willing to grant himself a chance at happiness.

He had told his mother that something urgent had come up, and left her wondering at the exact meaning of his words.

It was only when he was already halfway to London, that he realized, that he did not have Margaret's address.

However, he didn't want to admit it, but there was only one chance how to get it and he will have to calm down his temper and emotions if he really wanted to be together with Margaret. Finally, he come to London and now he stood to Mr. Henry Lennox office door. He despised this man. He was jealous to this man, because he was John's biggest rival for Margaret's love and heart, but there wasn't a way to back now. This man was his only chance to be with woman he loves and there he was.

--------------------------

"Thornton."

"Lennox."

The two men acknowledged one another, circling warily, in Lennox's London office.

"How can I help you, Thornton?" Lennox enquired, politely enough.

"Would you be good enough to let me know the whereabouts of Miss Margaret Hale?" John Thornton replied, his equal in politeness.

Lennox's look darkened. "May I enquire as to why?"

"She's my tenant now and I have some business what I need to settle with her about Mill!" - John tried to be calm and not let his temper rise, because he feel how his dislike grew in height to this man.

"Oh, yes, of course. The Mill with whom you tried to dabble." - Henry laughed. John barely can keep himself together in this moment to not push him to the ground and hit. Now it wasn't only jealous, but also anger.

"Well, Thornton, in her aunt house will be dinner party tonight. You are invited. Be here at 7 o'clock and there's address. Miss Hale will be here!" - Henry smiling prideful as if he had already won this battle and Margaret belongs to him.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

I today exactly thought about this. So wonderful that you bring it. Hope we all will be continue write it. I love it! :loveeyes
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

"Oh, yes, of course. The Mill with whom you tried to dabble." - Henry laughed. John barely can keep himself together in this moment to not push him to the ground and hit. Now it wasn't only jealous, but also anger.

"Well, Thornton, in her aunt house will be dinner party tonight. You are invited. Be here at 7 o'clock and there's address. Miss Hale will be here!" - Henry smiling prideful as if he had already won this battle and Margaret belongs to him.
"I told you before, Lennox," John replied scornfully, "I do not dabble. I am not here to dabble either." He gave Lennox a penetrating look. "I will see you this evening," John stated with no enthusiasm and turned to leave.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

"I told you before, Lennox," John replied scornfully, "I do not dabble. I am not here to dabble either." He gave Lennox a penetrating look. "I will see you this evening," John stated with no enthusiasm and turned to leave.
John was uncharacteristically nervous getting ready for the dinner party. He knew he would not have a single friend there - except perhaps for one... He felt he would know from the moment he saw her whether her feelings for him had changed...

He dressed with much care, though he knew it would do little good and Margaret's relatives would not like him no matter what he wore - but he was dressing himself for her, he wanted to look nice for her. Though maybe it was too late - Henry had been so triumphant - did he have reason to suppose Margaret might look upon his, Henry's, suit favourably?

At 7 pm sharp he found himself knocking at the door of the house whose address Henry had given him.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

merry wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:30 pm John was uncharacteristically nervous getting ready for the dinner party. He knew he would not have a single friend there - except perhaps for one... He felt he would know from the moment he saw her whether her feelings for him had changed...

He dressed with much care, though he knew it would do little good and Margaret's relatives would not like him no matter what he wore - but he was dressing himself for her, he wanted to look nice for her. Though maybe it was too late - Henry had been so triumphant - did he have reason to suppose Margaret might look upon his, Henry's, suit favourably?

At 7 pm sharp he found himself knocking at the door of the house whose address Henry had given him.
A butler opened door and let him enter in house. He immediately hear his beloved Margaret's voice, but there was another one and John didn't have to guess who was it. He already feel his jealousy rise up, but when he entered in sitting room, he saw how Margaret talked with biggest enemy Henry and she laughed at something what he told her. John's heart sank. Has she really forgotten him? Does she really belongs to this London barrister now? And does her feelings not changed? In this moment John wanted only one - leave and never come back here. He fell how tears bursted out, but he needed to take himself in his hands, cuz he was invited and if he could not get Margaret back, then he will waiting when this evening will end, and will fast return to Milton and not see his love of life anymore.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

(I'm not adding any right now - just to say, I'm loving how this is going - and am keeping a running copy of the text only. I guess we could put this up as Weavers_and_Spinners when it's done, what do we think?)
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

merry wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:16 pm I guess we could put this up as Weavers_and_Spinners when it's done, what do we think?)
Oh, yes, I agree with my both hands, merry. I love this story so much and we need to finish and posting it! :love :clap
PenelopePitstop

Post by PenelopePitstop »

"Get a grip Jonny boy" he told himself. And he did.

Margaret, who had been readily conversing with Henry, became aware of a change in the timbre of the background chatter. Her attention drawn, she turned her head to look...
"Will you excuse me Henry?"
She did not wait for an answer.
As if pulled by an invisible string, Margaret glided across the carpet to where John Thornton stood, next to Edith and the Captain. She looked up into his eyes, a dimpled smile upon her face, held out her right hand towards him, and said, "See, Mr Thornton, I have not forgotten Milton ways..."
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

PenelopePitstop wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:36 am "Get a grip Jonny boy" he told himself. And he did.

Margaret, who had been readily conversing with Henry, became aware of a change in the timbre of the background chatter. Her attention drawn, she turned her head to look...
As if pulled by an invisible string, Margaret glided across the carpet to where John Thornton stood, next to Edith and the Captain. She looked up into his eyes, a dimpled smile upon her face, held out her right hand towards him, and said, "See, Mr Thornton, I have not forgotten Milton ways..."
John looked in surprise to Margaret and then his gaze fell to her outstretched hand. It couldn't be possible that that something mean to her. No, he won't let his hope grow anymore. He fighting between touching and ignoring it. He so wanted to touch, kiss and take it in his hand, but suddenly he remembered what he had seen a moment ago and with coldness in his eyes, he left her hand without a touch.
"Good evening, Miss Hale. It's very kind from you. I'm sorry if I disturbed you from your enjoying talk. Don't worry. It won't happening again!" - John feel again tears in his eyes, but he can control himself. No, he won't show Margaret how he's hurting for what he saw. He turned and went to the fireplace.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

(lovely to see Penelope post a chapter! we need to get going with this again!)
"Get a grip Jonny boy" he told himself. And he did.

John looked in surprise to Margaret and then his gaze fell to her outstretched hand. It couldn't be possible that that something mean to her. No, he won't let his hope grow anymore. He fighting between touching and ignoring it. He so wanted to touch, kiss and take it in his hand, but suddenly he remembered what he had seen a moment ago and with coldness in his eyes, he left her hand without a touch.

"Good evening, Miss Hale. It's very kind from you. I'm sorry if I disturbed you from your enjoying talk. Don't worry. It won't happening again!" - John feel again tears in his eyes, but he can control himself. No, he won't show Margaret how he's hurting for what he saw. He turned and went to the fireplace.
Margaret stared after him, surprise and consternation on her face. What had happened? She had hoped he would be at least a little pleased to see her... but it seemed he cared nothing for her, after all.

Henry was back at her side, murmuring to her gleefully, "What a charmless oaf that fellow is! I believe he left his manners in Milton, though they were never the manners of a true gentleman."

"Don't say that about him, Henry," Margaret retorted coldly, "He is sad, I feel, rather than mannerless... I wonder why."

"Don't waste your time on him," Henry advised, and he actually laid a hand on her arm to draw her back as she went to approach the fireplace where John Thornton stood, his arm on the mantel, his head propped in his hand.

Margaret drew back from Henry and gave him an icy stare until he let her go, admonished. And then she carried on her way.

"John.." she said softly, coming up behind him, so that he jumped and whirled round and stared at her, "I had hoped for a warmer reception, I must say. From your letter, I had thought you might be pleased to see me again..."
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Oh, how wonderful that this topic is active again. Let's move it again, merry, cuz I love this story. :love Or I will finish it to myself! :rofl
merry wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:47 pm Margaret stared after him, surprise and consternation on her face. What had happened? She had hoped he would be at least a little pleased to see her... but it seemed he cared nothing for her, after all.

Henry was back at her side, murmuring to her gleefully, "What a charmless oaf that fellow is! I believe he left his manners in Milton, though they were never the manners of a true gentleman."

"Don't say that about him, Henry," Margaret retorted coldly, "He is sad, I feel, rather than mannerless... I wonder why."

"Don't waste your time on him," Henry advised, and he actually laid a hand on her arm to draw her back as she went to approach the fireplace where John Thornton stood, his arm on the mantel, his head propped in his hand.

Margaret drew back from Henry and gave him an icy stare until he let her go, admonished. And then she carried on her way.

"John.." she said softly, coming up behind him, so that he jumped and whirled round and stared at her, "I had hoped for a warmer reception, I must say. From your letter, I had thought you might be pleased to see me again..."
He was pleased to see her, but still he was hurt for what he saw moment earlier. Margaret still looking at him and tried to learn his reaction from his face, but it was cold. Only in his eyes she saw...pain and...love? Does he loved her? Cared for her? It really can be true? But then why he reacted like that? John knows that he need to say something, even though he didn't want to.

"I thought you are pleased to see Mr.Lennox than me. You seems very enjoyed his company. That's why I didn't want to distub your talk. I'm sorry for it!" - John still with pain in his eyes watched to his Margaret and saw that tears appeared in her eyes, but there was something else. But what? Love? And care? Does she really loved and cared for him? Again that stupid hope. No, he needs to hear from her true and then he will know what to do next with his love to her.

"No, John, it's not like that. I don't like Henry and never have. It's just I was nervous because for you. I didn't know if I would see you tonight, if you will come tonight and Henry...he just came and sat to near me and started to talk and I didn't notice how he got me into it. That's why I didn't notice you when you came in. Can you forgive me?" - Margaret watched to John not only with tears, but also with love in her eyes. Now she needed to know will he believe her or not, because then she will know his feelings to her and she wanted that he could see how much she love him.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

He was pleased to see her, but still he was hurt for what he saw moment earlier. Margaret still looking at him and tried to learn his reaction from his face, but it was cold. Only in his eyes she saw...pain and...love? Does he loved her? Cared for her? It really can be true? But then why he reacted like that? John knows that he need to say something, even though he didn't want to.

"I thought you are pleased to see Mr.Lennox than me. You seems very enjoyed his company. That's why I didn't want to distub your talk. I'm sorry for it!" - John still with pain in his eyes watched to his Margaret and saw that tears appeared in her eyes, but there was something else. But what? Love? And care? Does she really loved and cared for him? Again that stupid hope. No, he needs to hear from her true and then he will know what to do next with his love to her.

"No, John, it's not like that. I don't like Henry and never have. It's just I was nervous because for you. I didn't know if I would see you tonight, if you will come tonight and Henry...he just came and sat to near me and started to talk and I didn't notice how he got me into it. That's why I didn't notice you when you came in. Can you forgive me?" - Margaret watched to John not only with tears, but also with love in her eyes. Now she needed to know will he believe her or not, because then she will know his feelings to her and she wanted that he could see how much she love him.
"Margaret," he whispered, in pain and love, "when you look at me like that... I don't know what to think."

Margaret went to put her hand on his arm - then thought better of it, and looked around to see they were indeed being observed. Her Aunt's stern eye was bent her way, and Henry's too, though Henry snatched his away, seething, when he saw Margaret look.

"We will talk later, John," she said quietly, and glided away back to the party. John was left alone. His hand clenched on the mantle. He should never have come.

He had just about made up his mind to leave when a waiter came up to him with a tray and a glass on it, coughing meaningfully to get his attention.

"Take it away, dammit!" he said angrily, "I don't want it," but the waiter was insistent - "the young lady was very keen you should have it, Sir!"

Perplexed, John took the glass off the tray, and saw a folded piece of paper beneath it. He snatched it off the tray and put it in his pocket, nodding a curt thanks to the man.

When he had a chance he unfolded it and read it.

"John, we must meet alone. I know it is not proper but we cannot talk among others like this, it is too difficult to say what we need to to one another. Take a room at a hotel in town and send word to me and I will come to you there."
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

merry wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:58 pm
"Margaret," he whispered, in pain and love, "when you look at me like that... I don't know what to think."

Margaret went to put her hand on his arm - then thought better of it, and looked around to see they were indeed being observed. Her Aunt's stern eye was bent her way, and Henry's too, though Henry snatched his away, seething, when he saw Margaret look.

"We will talk later, John," she said quietly, and glided away back to the party. John was left alone. His hand clenched on the mantle. He should never have come.

He had just about made up his mind to leave when a waiter came up to him with a tray and a glass on it, coughing meaningfully to get his attention.

"Take it away, dammit!" he said angrily, "I don't want it," but the waiter was insistent - "the young lady was very keen you should have it, Sir!"

Perplexed, John took the glass off the tray, and saw a folded piece of paper beneath it. He snatched it off the tray and put it in his pocket, nodding a curt thanks to the man.

When he had a chance he unfolded it and read it.

"John, we must meet alone. I know it is not proper but we cannot talk among others like this, it is too difficult to say what we need to to one another. Take a room at a hotel in town and send word to me and I will come to you there."
John was elated. Luckily he had already booked a room for the night. After leaving Lennox’s office earlier in the day he found a hotel close to Margaret’s address and checked in.

After pocketing her note, he glanced around the room and spied a desk, with writing implements, in a far corner. His instinct was to jump for joy and skip across the room to dash off a quick note to Margaret. However, this would not do. He called to the forefront his years of practiced self-denial and schooled his emotions into a clam demeanor. Slowly, over the next quarter of an hour, he obliquely worked his way across the room to the writing table. Being unknown to most of the party was advantageous at the moment. He glanced around the room and was quickly satisfied that no one was paying any attention to him, or so he thought. Bending over, he scrawled out a note to Margaret:

“Dearest Margaret, I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired to ask what you offer. For many long months I had pondered what I might do, should the opportunity to speak with you alone once more come within my grasp. I have already secured a hotel for the evening, the Langham, room 211. I intend to check out at noon tomorrow in order to catch the early afternoon train back to Milton, unless some advantageous reason presents itself to delay my departure. Yours, John.”

He folded the paper and slipped it into his pocket. He would have to find an opportune moment at some point during the evening to slip it into Margaret’s hand.

A/N: As many of you may know, I have a penchant for quoting other books and movies in my fics. Can anyone guess where this one came from?
PenelopePitstop

Post by PenelopePitstop »

John did not have to wait long for an opportunity to present itself to pass Margaret his note. Unbeknownst to him, Margaret, who was leaving nothing to chance, and certainly not in the hands of either Edith or her Aunt, had arranged for John to be seated next to her at dinner.
The gong for dinner sounded; Margaret glided across the room drawing close to John's side.
"It's time for dinner Mr Thornton. I should very much appreciate it if you would kindly escort me to the table," she asked, giving John a look that would disarm the hardest of hearts. John smiled down at her with his barely concealed elation. "It would be my honour Miss Hale".
And with that she took his proffered arm, and steered him out of the drawing room, into the dining room and to their places at the table. Once seated, John took the opportunity to press his note into Margaret's hand, under the table, out of sight of the other diners. Such surreptious and inappropriate behaviour brought a small knowing smile to both their faces. "Thank you", murmured Margaret. With her hands hidden by the starched damask table linen, Margaret ran her fingers around the edges of the note, contemplating how and when she would be able to read it without attracting her family's undue attention.
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

Colleen....The Lord of the Rings? Galadriel speaking?
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Wow, how wonderful that this topic finally is started to move. I'm so happy. :love And I love these additions from you, merry, and from Colleen and Penny too. I like where this story going. It seems that it's going maybe to very smutish way! 😏❤️

PenelopePitstop wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:57 am John did not have to wait long for an opportunity to present itself to pass Margaret his note. Unbeknownst to him, Margaret, who was leaving nothing to chance, and certainly not in the hands of either Edith or her Aunt, had arranged for John to be seated next to her at dinner.
The gong for dinner sounded; Margaret glided across the room drawing close to John's side.
"It's time for dinner Mr Thornton. I should very much appreciate it if you would kindly escort me to the table," she asked, giving John a look that would disarm the hardest of hearts. John smiled down at her with his barely concealed elation. "It would be my honour Miss Hale".
And with that she took his proffered arm, and steered him out of the drawing room, into the dining room and to their places at the table. Once seated, John took the opportunity to press his note into Margaret's hand, under the table, out of sight of the other diners. Such surreptious and inappropriate behaviour brought a small knowing smile to both their faces. "Thank you", murmured Margaret. With her hands hidden by the starched damask table linen, Margaret ran her fingers around the edges of the note, contemplating how and when she would be able to read it without attracting her family's undue attention.
While dinner went very well and all diners was busy in their talks, but Margaret was very impatient. She can't wait to read John's note. Finally dinner went to end and ladies went back to living room while gentlemens went to Study room to talk about business. Now Margaret had the opportunity to read while John and Henry was in other room, but her aunt and cousin was talked with other guests. She sat down in one of the chairs, who was turned against by the fireplace, so she can read note no one disturbed. She finally read it and was so excitedly happy that she already can't wait this meeting with her John. She pressed the note to her chest and then hide it in corset deep between her breasts so no one can see and know about it. After a while door from study room opened and gentlemens came out. John with eyes šearched Margaret and saw her to fireplace and wanted to go to her, but Margaret saw him too and she nodded like an answer about his note that she will be to that meeting. He knows that he can't go to her cuz now all guests was there and her relatives could see them, but he so wanted to kiss and hug her, and never to let her go. Later when evening came to the end and all guests went away, John also was to read leave The Shaw's house, but Margaret didn't want to let him go yet, so while no one paid attention to them, she handed her hand to him like demonstrate "Milton ways".

"I will be there, Mr. Thornton!" - she said quietly that only John can hear it. John smiled and raised her hand to kiss the top of it like demonstrate her "London ways".

"Then I will be waiting, Miss Hale!" - he answered just as quietly. Margaret also smiled and both hearts jumped from happy and excitement. Then John opened door and leave, but Margaret pressed her hand to her chest, where was his note, and and just stood there for a while.
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:18 pm Wow, how wonderful that this topic finally is started to move. I'm so happy. :love And I love these additions from you, merry, and from Colleen and Penny too. I like where this story going. It seems that it's going maybe to very smutish way! 😏❤️
Fossy! Where your mind goes... ! Of course, that's exactly where my mind went too. :blush

I think this is the reason there are so many new additions to this post. We all can't wait to get to the smut!

Yes, Pippa, the quote was from Galadriel's speech in LOTR:TFOTR. :clap
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

ColleenD wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:11 pm Fossy! Where your mind goes... ! Of course, that's exactly where my mind went too.
:rofl Well, I love this and hope it really goes in this way! :loveeyes
ColleenD wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:11 pm I think this is the reason there are so many new additions to this post. We all can't wait to get to the smut!
Agree, I think it too. So can't wait for next adding. So want to see ODC doing smut! 😏 :love :heart
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:18 pm
While dinner went very well and all diners was busy in their talks, but Margaret was very impatient. She can't wait to read John's note. Finally dinner went to end and ladies went back to living room while gentlemens went to Study room to talk about business. Now Margaret had the opportunity to read while John and Henry was in other room, but her aunt and cousin was talked with other guests. She sat down in one of the chairs, who was turned against by the fireplace, so she can read note no one disturbed. She finally read it and was so excitedly happy that she already can't wait this meeting with her John. She pressed the note to her chest and then hide it in corset deep between her breasts so no one can see and know about it. After a while door from study room opened and gentlemens came out. John with eyes šearched Margaret and saw her to fireplace and wanted to go to her, but Margaret saw him too and she nodded like an answer about his note that she will be to that meeting. He knows that he can't go to her cuz now all guests was there and her relatives could see them, but he so wanted to kiss and hug her, and never to let her go. Later when evening came to the end and all guests went away, John also was to read leave The Shaw's house, but Margaret didn't want to let him go yet, so while no one paid attention to them, she handed her hand to him like demonstrate "Milton ways".

"I will be there, Mr. Thornton!" - she said quietly that only John can hear it. John smiled and raised her hand to kiss the top of it like demonstrate her "London ways".

"Then I will be waiting, Miss Hale!" - he answered just as quietly. Margaret also smiled and both hearts jumped from happy and excitement. Then John opened door and leave, but Margaret pressed her hand to her chest, where was his note, and and just stood there for a while.
She turned and ascended the stairs. However, halfway to her room she had made up her mind. She could not wait until the morning to see John. She would sneak out and go to his hotel as soon as the rest of the inhabitants of the Harley Street residence were fast asleep.

As she waited in her room for the house to fall silent, Margaret read and reread John’s note over and over again until she had it memorized. Then she put on her walking shoes and a long dark cloak and stole out into the night.

Meanwhile, John strode briskly back to his hotel. It was only a few short blocks from Harley Street. Entering his room, he hung up his coat and hat and sat down in a chair near the window. It was dark outside. However, he was too exhausted to get up and close the curtains and yet he knew he would not be able to sleep.

He sat there in wonderment, thinking over everything that had happened that evening. His heart felt lighter than it had in years and a smile of contentment graced his face. He would see Margaret again and confess his love and he was fairly certain she would not spurn him this time.

He pulled out his pocket watch to check the time. It was quite late. He had better try to get some rest before morning. Rising from his chair he walked to the window to shut the curtains. His eye was caught by a sudden movement outside. The dark figure of a woman was darting down the dimly lit street. Something looked familiar about the way she moved. Could it be? Was it possibly Margaret!?
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Well, I like where this is going. I feel that in next will be very "hot"! :lol :love ❤️‍🔥
ColleenD wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:08 am She turned and ascended the stairs. However, halfway to her room she had made up her mind. She could not wait until the morning to see John. She would sneak out and go to his hotel as soon as the rest of the inhabitants of the Harley Street residence were fast asleep.

As she waited in her room for the house to fall silent, Margaret read and reread John’s note over and over again until she had it memorized. Then she put on her walking shoes and a long dark cloak and stole out into the night.

Meanwhile, John strode briskly back to his hotel. It was only a few short blocks from Harley Street. Entering his room, he hung up his coat and hat and sat down in a chair near the window. It was dark outside. However, he was too exhausted to get up and close the curtains and yet he knew he would not be able to sleep.

He sat there in wonderment, thinking over everything that had happened that evening. His heart felt lighter than it had in years and a smile of contentment graced his face. He would see Margaret again and confess his love and he was fairly certain she would not spurn him this time.

He pulled out his pocket watch to check the time. It was quite late. He had better try to get some rest before morning. Rising from his chair he walked to the window to shut the curtains. His eye was caught by a sudden movement outside. The dark figure of a woman was darting down the dimly lit street. Something looked familiar about the way she moved. Could it be? Was it possibly Margaret!?
In next moment this dark figure of a woman disappeared from his sight because it came to the hotel door and now Margaret thinking how to get in that no one see her. Luckily door was open and no one was behind reception table, so she easily can catch up to the stairs and then go to John's room. Finally she was here and was ready quiet to knock for his door, but in the next moment his door suddenly opened and there he was, looking to her with a look full of love and happiness. Margaret looked with the same look to him and he glanced across the hall checking that there's no one and offering her a hand, took her inside his room. Here they was - two madly in love with each other and they felt that their feelings soon can burst out, if they don't doing something.