Whinge About Covid

The Good, the Bad and the Annoying.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by OurCreature »

Yesterday I felt quite ill with a slight cough and a mild headache, so much so that I went on the bus to have my B12 jab and my first (of two) shingles jabs. Today I felt OK in the morning but under the weather this afternoon. As it is Knightwood tomorrow I thought I had better test for Covid - and the dreaded thick bar by the T appeared very quickly.

I have cancelled KW tomorrow and my attendance at the old gentleman's funeral on Thursday. I'll do another test on Friday morning otherwise I'll have to cancel my foot clinic appointment as well. I really hope it's gone by Xmas Day!
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by Furby »

Oh dear poor oc. I hope you survive COVID and its gone by Xmas. And if not gone you can rearrange Xmas dinner for another day.

I didn't know COVID tests were still a thing because the COVID dashboard has been closed down last week. It's the responsible thing to do not to be meeting people when you have viruses anyway even if non COVID. How disappointing about the old gentleman's funeral though.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by eccles »

@OC that's a pain to get it at this time but good thinking to put two and two together and test yourself.

I've been under the weather a bit for the last week or so too. I had one test kit left which had reached its expiry date last month. I thought well, they don't fall off a cliff and suddenly stop working and there'd probably be a month's leeway. So, forewarned about OC's positive test, I used it up this evening. The control line showed clearly but no covid, just winter blues sniffles.

I hope you recover quickly.

@Furby I imagine testing is still a thing for volunteers such as OC who work around vulnerable people.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by Patience »

I took a couple of COVID tests a week or so back. One on Friday before I went on my Christmas night out and another on Thursday after I was floored a few days earlier by the bug which was going round.
Fortunately both were negative.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by OurCreature »

When HMG said they were going to stop the free tests I ordered as many as I could, and I have several boxes of them. Unfortunately they are all supposed to be out of date by the end of January 2024.

Nancy and Jeff are bringing me some milk and bread tomorrow evening - they will knock and exit.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by Patience »

Before I bought the tests back in August, I tried a few of the free tests I had. They were still within date, and without exception the quantity of liquid in the tube was tiny.
Sigh.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by Furby »

Why still testing for COVID though. What Eccles and patience had would still be as dangerous to the care home residents wouldn't it so does it save many people just testing for COVID and protecting against that.

Good that oc has bread and milk delivery. I keep long life milk for such occasions but it's really not the same and when sick you appreciate a nice drink all the more.
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by Wildrover »

Covid seems to be on a spike. We just ccncelled our Christmas meal as MYF's sister has it as does MYF's brother's partner. The sister came over from Canada last week and is resting up at her parents so it wouldn't surprise me if they've all got it by the end of the week. The sister is quite ill with it - not with cough or sniffles, just feels exhausted. MYF and I have both had 4 jabs including the booster last month so I'm not especially concerned. I think Furby is right in that it doesn't much matter whether you've got COVID, flu or even a really bad cold - you don't want to give it to someone in their 80s or 90s.

Anyway, all the best to you OC and hope you're feeling better by the weekend.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by OurCreature »

:wave
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by dianakc »

Take care OC. Yes I wholeheartedly agree - keep to yourself if you are potentially contagious!
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by eccles »

Yet another covid variant, JN1, is "of interest" and the WHO are recommending the use of masks again.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by OurCreature »

Took a Covid test this morning - still positive. I'll take another one tomorrow.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by OurCreature »

Another morning, another positive Covid test...................
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by Furby »

Poor oc will you miss a Xmas dinner then or can they bring it to the doorstep in tupperware. Of course way covids going oc family might have COVID themselves by Xmas.

In real COVID when we had rules wasn't it 10 days of isolation from meeting an infected person but we don't know when oc met that person.

Good luck to who with the masks most people didn't wear them even when it was the law so i can't see it happening in UK. Still seems crazy to me we allowed exceptions for anyone claiming any sort of disability because they still have noses and mouths.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by OurCreature »

Poor oc will you miss a Xmas dinner
Aahhhhhhh.................sympathy..............thank you Furby! I am taking another test tomorrow very early to see if it is negative and let Nancy know. Then we'll decide if we can assume that is it and Covid has gone away, or maybe keep me here anyway as I am still feeling a bit weak and tired and coughy etc. If we decide the latter Nancy will keep her Christmas food frozen and we'll have our Xmas dinner another day. Right now I don't really want to leave the house.

In fact everybody has been very kind and I'm very grateful to you all for your kind wishes.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by OurCreature »

Nancy and I have agreed that Xmas Lunch is postponed until I am properly better. She has bought me a couple of nice heat from frozen meals in case I am hungry on Xmas Day and want something nicer than is already in my freezer. Delivery is in daylight hours this afternoon.

They have decided to skip my cards to them (Jeff's birthday is on 31/12) lest they bear The Plague.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by merry »

OC! I'm so so sorry.

I've been so wrapped up in myself, I had missed there are so many poorly members of the HF gang and their families.

I hope you all get better very soon. There's definitely a huge spike of flus/Covids/unnamed illnesses about.

Poor OC. Lots of rest and tv and cuddles with the cats :hugs
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by merry »

cross-post!

I think that's best, OC. I'm glad Nancy brought round some ready-meals. Mr M has been surviving on sandwiches and cake!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by OurCreature »

I asked Nancy to bring more cough medicine. She also brought round my cards from them and the Aussies and vouchers for Bella Vita. AND a Pyrex dish with cold hotpot in it - the potato pie variety that Mum used to make. That has vanished, turned into hotpot butties which speedily went down the hatch! :D I won't need very much to eat for what's left of today.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge About Covid

Post by OurCreature »

Still whingeing, still testing positive for Covid. When I let them know at KW last Tuesday the chap I spoke to said it was 10 days before he tested negative and it looks as if it will be the same for me as well as I'm now 8 days into it - I'm sure I had Covid last Monday when I went to the surgery for my jabs and I hope I didn't pass it on to Nurse Rebecca.