Music that reminds us of N&S

TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Let's re-open that topic here. Any songs that remind you of N&S or that you use as inspiration for your fics.

I think Pippa also has some playlists for her modern AUs, as far as I remember.

Personally, I've got a big day this Friday. Going to a "Poets of the Fall" concert. That band basically provided the soundtrack while I was writing FtA, so I'm going to celebrate that fic, singing along to those tunes :lol
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Great, Tom, that you re-opened this topic. 😃 Well, my music which remind me of N&S is its soundtracks - https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkCz ... llwnM2rtHr and this song - https://youtu.be/wBZ3aLHZGXU. Love them so much! :loveeyes ❤️🔥
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Love the N&S soundtrack also, Forsteriaana, and that second track is lovely!

I've just looked up Poets of the Fall since T is going to their concert and we must cheer him along, and wow! this is just the first track YT offered me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKk1u5RMTn4&ab - blew me away. This is definitely my kind of music! I absolutely have to listen to more, any you particularly recommend?

My entire soundtrack for the past three months of writing has been the epic and fantasy music of Peter Crowley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNexNBy88Gk - though I have some specific songs I listen to at times for the mood,

We had loads of good music in the OB topic, if I have time tomorrow I'll bring some over.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

merry wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:07 pm I've just looked up Poets of the Fall since T is going to their concert and we must cheer him along, and wow! this is just the first track YT offered me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKk1u5RMTn4&ab - blew me away. This is definitely my kind of music! I absolutely have to listen to more, any you particularly recommend?
Oh, that's so neat that you looked it up! 😊 The three songs I constantly listened to while writing were "Carnival of Rust", "War" and "Dreaming Wide Awake"
merry wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:07 pm My entire soundtrack for the past three months of writing has been the epic and fantasy music of Peter Crowley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNexNBy88Gk - though I have some specific songs I listen to at times for the mood,
Peter Crowley is so good! 😍 Definitely fitting for some epic N&S Stories!!
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Carnival of Rust is so powerful. It's kind of hitting me on two fronts - music and lyrics. How did I never know about this band before?
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

merry wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:40 pm Carnival of Rust is so powerful. It's kind of hitting me on two fronts - music and lyrics. How did I never know about this band before?
So glad you like it, Seb. 🤗 I thought the same thing when it randomly came up on my Spotify one day.
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

These are a bit silly but these two songs make me think of my modern Fanny Thornton. :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu_mlDPGHoE
(Just the first one in the video)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxbu6_vR5es
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

Although not an N&S devotee I too really liked Carnival of Rust and added to my playlist. It reminded me very much of another song in terms of its style and construction and I played it to a couple of musical friends who, unsolicited, came up with the same track, Bring Me To Life by Evanescence. I listened to some of Poets of the Fall's other stuff too which I also really liked so thanks for the pointer Tom.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Wildrover wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:08 am Although not an N&S devotee I too really liked Carnival of Rust and added to my playlist. It reminded me very much of another song in terms of its style and construction and I played it to a couple of musical friends who, unsolicited, came up with the same track, Bring Me To Life by Evanescence. I listened to some of Poets of the Fall's other stuff too which I also really liked so thanks for the pointer Tom.
Oooh I had not made that connection, but now that you mention it! I love me some good old Evanescence!! :love
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

My daughter (STPD) just sent me a link to this song, saying it reminded her of 'my' John and his Secret Garden - it's such a lovely song and a lovely story about 'Black John' and his life - worth a listen! He's even had a YELLOW ROSE named after him!

Black John - Angeline Morrison
blackjohn.png
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

merry wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:44 am My daughter (STPD) just sent me a link to this song, saying it reminded her of 'my' John and his Secret Garden - it's such a lovely song and a lovely story about 'Black John' and his life - worth a listen! He's even had a YELLOW ROSE named after him!

Black John - Angeline Morrison

blackjohn.png
What a wonderful song and story. And he even married a Margaret!!! :clapping
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

I found this track on Spotify - it's an old English folk tune. (Dunno if the Brits amongst us may know it). I think it fits pretty well with my snowed in/christmas story ;)

merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Oh that is a lovely song, Tom! I shall play it again when I read your snowy story :) I love that they filmed it in an old empty barn :lol I adore folk and songs like that make me long to have the ability to play the guitar.. it's so beautiful and versatile.
And he even married a Margaret!!!
I know! wasn't that lovely?
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

This old Pearl Jam song popped up in my playlist today, and it reminded me of Pippa's modern John, especially the second verse about his father.

Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

You all know how romantic I am so this is song which reminding me about our lovebirds. It's very romantic! :love

TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:08 pm You all know how romantic I am so this is song which reminding me about our lovebirds. It's very romantic! :love

I have always loved that song, Fossy. It fits J/M perfectly! ❤️
Vandraren
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by Vandraren »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:08 pm You all know how romantic I am so this is song which reminding me about our lovebirds. It's very romantic! :love

Aww, someone should make a youtube-video of John and Margaret with that song, it's very beautiful! :loveeyes

Ok, my song is extremely cheesy and it actually is a North and South video that is only on vimeo now, the one on youtube is different. It's called "You're still you" by Josh Groban. I can't handle Josh Groban, but I have a secret love for some of his songs anyways. But this song just works for John and Margaret (imo), maybe it's just because I have seen the video so many time. Go have a look :blush

Otherwise I really love "Travel to Edinburgh" from the Cloud Atlas (and other music from the same film), I think it really sets the tone for a Milton scene :)
Run mad as often as you choose, but do not faint. ~Jane Austen
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

That music video is really lovely, Vandraren.
(she/her)
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Vandraren wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:41 am Aww, someone should make a youtube-video of John and Margaret with that song, it's very beautiful!
You can't imagine how I wish that someone could make a video with our lovebirds with this song. It is very beautiful and lyrics are so romantic. I really think it fit them very much! :love
Vandraren wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:41 am Ok, my song is extremely cheesy and it actually is a North and South video that is only on vimeo now, the one on youtube is different. It's called "You're still you" by Josh Groban. I can't handle Josh Groban, but I have a secret love for some of his songs anyways. But this song just works for John and Margaret (imo), maybe it's just because I have seen the video so many time. Go have a look
Oh, my, how wonderful video and that song. Amazing. I love it. :loveeyes I like Josh Groban's songs too. I think they are very romantic too. Thank you for showing us this, Van! :clap
Vandraren
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by Vandraren »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:28 am
Oh, my, how wonderful video and that song. Amazing. I love it. :loveeyes I like Josh Groban's songs too. I think they are very romantic too. Thank you for showing us this, Van! :clap
I am glad you like it Fossy. A "much" younger me watched that video for hours and I still love it, cheesy or not.

Also, your Ronan Keating song made me think of that other song in Notting Hill. "She" by Elvis Costello. It can certainly inspire a lot of romantic scenes between John and Margaret :smug

I have a whole playlist for writing, which may seem surprising, since I have never published anything. It's mainly movie soundtracks, some classical music here and there and the occasional ballad.
Run mad as often as you choose, but do not faint. ~Jane Austen