December Chatty, hohoho!

Chat about anything and everything
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by merry »

Thought I had better start this off, but there are new posts in the Nov one so don't miss those!

To get it off with a bit of festive cheer, here's the Christmas tree at Paddington Station yesterday! (Juliet, Helen and I had a wonderful day out revisiting the Burnt City on a sightseeing tour of Troy.)

Chat tonight

paddingtontree.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by merry »

Just out of interest, I used the 'remove people' option on my new phone and I think it did quite a good job! Here's what it came up with:

paddingtontreenopeople.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by eccles »

Might not be in chat this evening. My internet is down and I'm tethering from my phone with Smarty, which has a 4gb limit.
First time in over two years it's been broken. Ho hum.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by OurCreature »

Dear Merry :hug has sent me a lovely pre-Christmas present - an Advent Calendar with a difference. Behind each day's door there is a 187ml bottle of wine. Clearly each small bottle is intended to be drunk on the appropriate day, so I have drunk the bottle for December 1 - a red wine from Portugal - with the cheese sandwiches I made myself for lunch. I shall drink the next bottle (a white wine) sometime this evening and one small bottle a day thereafter.

The Merries will have to wait for their Xmas pressie - it's due to arrive on 20 December! :D
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Furby »

So merry has a new phone. Is it that one advertised on TV where they hide the shark tank. Merrys new picture looks like abandoned cases left behind which isnt good at stations can the phones only hide living things. It's quite useful these days as it's illegal to post identjfying photos without permission and whereever you go there are people getting faces in the way.

A while mini wine bottle instead of a piece of chocolate advent calendars have evolved since the 1960s havent they.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by merry »

Interestingly, it's not illegal to post pictures of randomers who got into your photograph
In general, if the photograph was taken in a public place (ie a place where there is not a reasonable expectation of privacy) where photography is not prohibited, and is not use commercially, no permission is required. With respect of someone sending you a photograph, you do not automatically have the right to share it further. As they took the photograph they "fixed the image", and thus have copyright - which means they get to decide who gets to see the image.
I've called my new phone Pixie, just like the old one :D so far not quite yet tamed, as she makes a lot of dictation mistakes, but she'll get used to my voice in time. They are clever and learn! She is a Pixel 7 - I think she would die quickly if she was glugging down to the bottom of a fishtank!

I'm so glad you liked the advent calendar, OC dear :hugs

Glad you got your internet back and came to Chat, Eccles! :cuddle
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Furby »

Thanks to merry for clearing that up about people in the way. All the news stories seem to have people blurred out these days but that's because they are commercial use then.

The adverts werent in the tank it was a family on a day out at SeaWorld where you walk through the tanks in a glass tunnel and something got in the way and they used camera to remove it. I find it all too complicated and just not want to point and take these days. Whatever is the easiest.

It's been snowing. I missed it and seeing it fall is best bit. It's all muddy slushy on the pavenents now.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by eccles »

In general, if the photograph was taken in a public place (ie a place where there is not a reasonable expectation of privacy) where photography is not prohibited, and is not use commercially, no permission is required.
Unfortunately, a large proportion of people are not aware of this, so when out and about with my camera I err on the side of caution to avoid arguments. For instance, snapping children without express consent is a definite no-no. The pic below is ok. The guy in the pic below wasn't that far away, didn't know I was shooting with a wide angle lens and that he would be unrecognisable, but he wasn't bothered anyway.
one man and his dog.jpg
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by OurCreature »

Busy day today.

This morning I attended a funeral - the chap who lived next door with his family in Sermon Road when we moved there in 1967. He and his wife and children were lovely neighbours, and they had a beautiful black cat called Benjy; they used to put him out at night but dear old Benjy soon trained us to take him in, and we'd often feed him a small tin of cat food and when we went to bed he'd come up with us and curl up on my bed for the night.

After 10 years they moved a few minutes walk away so we were able to keep in touch easily and maintain our friendship. So when his wife wrote to me and said I'd be very welcome to attend the funeral, of course I replied by return and let her know I would be there.

I had a dental appointment in the afternoon to have my crown fitted. That wasn't until 14:50 so I went across the road and round the corner a little to partake of lunch at the Kyoto; formerly the Kyoto Kitchen near the hairdresser's I visit to have what's left of my hair cut. The Kyoto did not disappoint; I started with Beef Tataki which was 6 thin strips of beef about 4" long with a small helping of veg and a sauce in which to dip the beef when you had put some of the veg on it. Then I had what they called the Dynamite Roll - a slice of salmon which formed the roll with tempura prawns, asparagus and a few other things inside; it was cut into 4 pieces and served in a spicy mayo. I had a side dish of garlic egg fried rice with that and very good it was. I had a 175ml glass of Japanese white to go with it. I thought that was enough and had a small pot of Japanese tea, and then boss waiter easily persuaded me to have a dessert. I chose dorayaki which was rather like a quartered thick Scotch pancake filled with green tea flavoured cream with some piped whipped cream and a halved strawberry as a garnish.

At the end of all that I felt very cheerful and happily had them debit £65 to my credit card.

And then off - slowly - to the dentist. I called in at the bank to get some coinage for future stays at the Park and Ride. I arrived at the dentist early which was just as well because I had hurried up the hill from the bank as I needed a loo and the dentist had one, and arrived very out of breath. Eventually I was called in and that's when the fun began. The cap over the offending tooth was rather more sturdy than we would have liked and Elisa had a real old job to get it off which took what seemed like ages. The gum round the tooth took a real old hammering and bled a lot, so at that point (40 minutes into the job IIRC) she decided that to fit the crown properly she needed the gum to stop bleeding and the way to do that was to give me a jab in the gum. So the crown was fitted and my gum and mouth are unfreezing as I type; and I already can feel the whole area starting to feel uncomfortable. Elisa said to give it 2 days and if it is still playing up to book myself in as an emergency and she will deal with it. I don't think it will come to that - she's very competent. So downstairs I went to let their virtual cash register ring out to the tune of £300 which makes £930 in total for the crown.

And that was my Tuesday.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Furby »

Sounds like a Tuesday crammed with all the unpleasant things to do in one day hopefully oc used up his allocation and rest of his December will be nicer.

I would only like the half a strawberry out of that meal.
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by asymphototropic »

Happy December everyone!

We had an absolutely silent night at the rescue squad, and then 5 minutes before we came off duty after a 12 hour shift, the tones dropped and we were out on a call. And it wasn't even our first due, so we had a bit of a drive in rush hour traffic to get to the patient's location. Ah well, these things happen.

Saw the best thing ever in a holiday parade last weekend. In the Middleburg Christmas parade [ lots of horses of all sorts] there was a pack of about 50 corgis [!] all in their festive red and green sweaters, and grinning from ear to ear. Thingummie major and I will be back in Middleburg mid-December to join in a bit of historic dance in their Dickens of a Christmas Victorian holiday event.

I've been considering buying a new car, but disappointed I cant find a hybrid with a standard transmission. Really enjoyed seeing the pictures of Patience' new car in the November thread.

I made rum raisin fudge yesterday and I must say it turned out rather well. Never made if before, but my sister in California was longing for some, so I tried the recipe. Now I just need to find a pony express rider to carry it cross country to her. :rolleyes
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by eccles »

Lucky old OC to have a crown. At over £900 I'd expect it to be jewel encrusted.

@Asy, given that most US cars have automatic gearboxes what does an American call standard transmission? Is it manual change or automatic?
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Furby »

I don't understand about cars is standard transmission where you have a gear stick.

In UK we had a plan to discontinue petrol cars and make them all be electric. The government has put it back 5 years but there are still quotas of electric cars to make each year meaning fewer real cars available . Arent electric cars all without gear sticks. I don't know what USA do they seem a bit more sensible on net zero than UK but probably not that much. Quite where all electric cars will get charged I don't know if we don't have enough electric even for people to use lights and living and asked to cut down. Electric cars use loads don't they even if people have house garages to charge in. Theres not many charging points they are putting them in garages that sell petrol and in supermaket car parks but those places aren't designed for cars to stay for hours.

I am making Xmas stew today which is a stock cube and some beans and any leftover vegetables. Used to be to use up leftover vegetables and save much cooking and shopping between Xmas and new year in days when shops didn't open many hours. But I decided to have it today anyway.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by OurCreature »

I don't understand about cars is standard transmission where you have a gear stick.
I think so, Furby; I looked it up in Wikipedia just now. My car is a non plug-in hybrid and is automatic transmission; as you say, I think all EVs/hybrids are. I must confess I find an automatic much easier to drive and I wish I'd changed to one years ago.

If HMG of whatever political persuasion insists on EV production targets being met I think there will be difficulties in a failure of the supply of public charging points matching demand for various reasons, including the inability of National Grid to connect such points to the national grid in the required numbers within the required timescale. I read in Yahoo News some time ago that there are motorway service areas with loads of charging points that don't work because NG and the power companies can't connect them to the grid.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/electric-car- ... 22987.html
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by merry »

I hope your crown site settled down, OC. I'm not surprised you had 'discomfort' (that's what my dentist used to call it) in the area after she attacked your tooth with pliers and a mallet!

Lovely to hear the news from Loudoun, Asy!

Last night I was surprised by two random, barking coughs which came out of nowhere. This morning I've woken up with a cold. I feel so 'off' it might almost be 'flu. I can't be sick, I've got too much to do, everything ramping up towards Christmas!
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Furby »

Merry if you are sick you are sick. Xmas will cope as long as food and drink in house and I am sure you run the household such that there would be even if non traditional Xmas.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by eccles »

A friend mentioned yesterday that whooping cough is currently doing the rounds. It's a nasty disease for kids apparently, less so for adults.
Take care of yourself Merry. :hugs
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Wildrover »

MYF and I both got colds 4 weeks ago and although it wasn't flu it was the worst cold I can remember. I felt knackered for about a week but it has taken 4 weeks for the mucus production to subside and this week is the first time in 4 weeks I've been able to fall asleep breathing through my nose rather than having to breathe through my mouth. I find breathing through my mouth makes it difficult to sleep so that has added to the tiredness from the virus. Also having broken ribs is miserable when you have a cold as every cough and sneeze is really painful. I hope you haven't got the same one Merry.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Patience »

As ever we have wise words from Furby!

@Merry, I hope it’s not a nasty lingering one like WR.
@ WR I hope the remaining bugs go soon.

I was at the funeral of a colleague’s husband today. He was only 49 and had a very aggressive form of MS that took him within 15 years. 😭

Tomorrow is Christmas Party night and we are off to Glasgow. Alas I have the start of a cold which I appear to have caught from reading this board. 🤣
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Wildrover »

I forgot to mention that just about everyone I know has had a dreadful cold in the last 2 months. The prevalent pub theory is that because very few people have had bad colds in the last 3 years our general resistance to the rhinoviruses is poor. I suspect there is at least an element of truth in this.