December Chatty, hohoho!

Chat about anything and everything
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Patience »

Back from my Christmas Party and overnight stay in Glasgow and I barely have a voice. Partly because of the cold and partly because to have to shout to be heard.

Home and curled up with the cat. I think I will snooze the afternoon away.

My new car is automatic which I have switched to with ease. There has only been twice in the last month where I have tried to change gear. Not bad going.
I do struggle with reversing up a hill. My GDPR I’ve is on a slope and I have a lip at the front of the garage. I hadn’t appreciated how much I used the clutch to control my speed when reversing.
One negative is the rear camera is rubbish if it’s wet or dark. Of course this is an unusual state of affairs in the UK in winter. 😜
An exciting plus, it has Automatic Full Beam! I put it on at night and it will dip if it sees headlights, rear lights or street lights and then go back to full beam when they have gone away.
It also has heated wing mirrors. 😁
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by eccles »

Ee, bloody luxury. I can only dream of reversing cameras, heated wing mirrors and automatic main beam.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Patience »

It has been nice to get a car with bells and whistles. That’s why I needed to get one which was 4.5 years old as opposed to change of model delivery mileage
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Patience »

And the itchy ears were right. Down with a cold. I always seem to get one at this time of year.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by eccles »

I've got a "nearly" cold, a bunged up nose and a cough, irritating rather than debilitating. Sympathies to anyone and everyone who are suffering.
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by asymphototropic »

I have a gas electric hybrid Honda car, and it has a standard transmission [stick shift]. Very few were made, and now none are being made.

Furby makes an excellent point: if there isn't enough electricity for houses, where will the electricity for plug in cars come from?

We had snow last night here on top of Catoctin Mountain. Just a pretty crystal frosting, not enough to be a nuisance. :snowing

Went to an English Country Dance holiday party yesterday afternoon at a private house in Historic Waterford. Ate fancy food in moderation and danced off all the calories. My new blue party frock got some compliments, which pleased me, since the pattern was my own design and I sewed it and all. If anyone got a picture in which I dont appear a gargoyle, I might post it. Then again maybe not. :elephant

My entire family had whooping cough when our daughter was in grade school. The immunity from the immunizations we got when kiddies doesn't last, but is certainly better than nothing.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Furby »

Every time it's freezing now electric companies are asking households to cut back and the plans to forcibly cut off on a rota system if that isn't enough have been polished off. Electric cars should be banned during bad times houses were here first. Of course answer should be just make more electric then but as we also have to stop oil and gas and freezing usually corresponds with times of not much sun and wind they are in a bit of a pickle and we will have to get used to being cold and hungry on a rota system I suppose.

My bins are not emptying the food waste bin over Xmas and new year weeks. That's all right then isn't it because people don't have much food waste over Xmas and new year do they.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by merry »

Christmas parties and cars, I must catch up properly tomorrow!
Went to an English Country Dance holiday party yesterday afternoon at a private house in Historic Waterford. Ate fancy food in moderation and danced off all the calories. My new blue party frock got some compliments, which pleased me, since the pattern was my own design and I sewed it and all. If anyone got a picture in which I dont appear a gargoyle, I might post it
Oh I do hope you get a non-gargoyle pic to post Asy! (I'm sure you don't ever look like a gargoyle, but speaking as someone who does indeed mostly look gargoylish in photographs...)

We went to Tewkesbury Abbey tonight for the Dean Close (Helen's old school) Carol Concert, they have a wonderful choir, the Schola Cantorum

The Abbey was looking mighty fine!

abbeysmall.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by OurCreature »

I had a nice surprise today - a buffet lunch at Knightwood. I must have been told about it at some stage but it all passed me by and on into the well of forgetfulness. One of the nice kitchen ladies reminded me about it and showed me in which room the lunch was taking place at 12:30 that day, and it turned out that I was on the place list. Various of the staff came round with food to serve us; the food was provided by a firm called Selwoods.

It was a good buffet, and I enjoyed partaking of it, though in the photo I look as if I am wondering when will it be my turn to be shot instead of wondering when is grub up. The chap on my left lives in one of the apartments, and the two ladies opposite us are amongst the residents whose water jugs I change on Wednesday mornings.
OCSantahat.jpg
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Furby »

Ah compulsory Santa hats. :xmas_hat That's reminded me how happy I am not to have to go to work next week. Isn't a buffet when you walk round and get food but I suppose older people can't do that in a care home.
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by dianakc »

My cousin is in a care home and it's their Christmas party on Friday. My mum and I have an invitation so will join in the festivities although my cousin will likely stay in her room! The home went to extraordinary lengths for the summer party with an ice cream van, mocktails, Caribbean music and a photo booth so I'm not sure what to expect. It's been full on Christmas mode in there for a few weeks now so I'm not sure how they can make it more Christmassy!
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by OurCreature »

Isn't a buffet when you walk round and get food but I suppose older people can't do that in a care home.
Correct on both counts, Furby! Especially re the old people, many of whom have mobility issues and a few can get around only in wheelchairs. So it was much easier for the carers and admin folk to walk round and serve us. On the first round they were careful to make sure there was enough for everybody; on the second round they were using up the food, so I did very well for turkey, potato salad etc. :lol

I finished off with cheese and biscuits, but didn't stay for the mince pies. It was getting on time-wise and I wanted to get to Morrisons before the schoolchildren were let out and charging up and down the aisles with their parents.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by merry »

The home went to extraordinary lengths for the summer party with an ice cream van, mocktails, Caribbean music and a photo booth so I'm not sure what to expect.
That sounds wonderful! I hope you and your mum enjoy Friday, and that your cousin can be coaxed out of her room :hugs

A buffet lunch at Knightwood, OC! what a nice surprise.

Mr Merry has an awful cold and has been quite poorly. See also, Flood and hole in ceiling, in Whinge, for the tale of MY week :rolleyes On the other hand, we also had the lovely carol concert in the Abbey, and Juliet and I had a good look around Dobbies in Tewkesbury this morning which was very festive. I signed up for their loyalty card (£15 a year, two free hot drinks a month which they proudly say is 'worth £70 a year ' :eek) and 'saved' £26 at once on loyalty-card-priced goods, though as Mr merry would say, that 'saving' was not actually put into my hand, in fact I gulped when I saw the overall dent in my bank account!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Merry, I bet the acoustics in Tewkesbury Abbey are stupendous, and the choir sounded accordingly awe inspiring.

Here is the least gargoylish of my blue party frock pics.
Attachments
small blue gown.jpg
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by eccles »

It's amazing how savings make you poorer isn't it. I had savings of around £20 from my online delivery from Asda on Wednesday and am nearly £90 poorer. :huh :ohwell

Asy you are definitely not gargoylish in your new dress. I'm not so sure about the trainers though. ;)

The Merry household seems to have continuous cycles of illnesses through the winter don't they. I hope Mr Merry gets well soon.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by OurCreature »

Asy, you look ready to dance the night away once you have put on your Ball Shoes! :)
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Its the tennis shoes or go barefoot. Feet are somewhat gouty. :wave emoji in white trainers agrees...
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by OurCreature »

In that case you are excused! :lol
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by Wildrover »

You're definitely excused - gout is miserable and incredibly painful. Although I'll also say allopurinol is a fabulous preeenttative drug - haven't had an attack in 10 years.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

December Chatty, hohoho!

Post by OurCreature »

The people next door aren't always at home. I now have 3 parcels for them awaiting collection, 2 of which arrived today. I had to hide the first one that arrived yesterday as it is in one of those big plasticy envelopes, a material that Midge loves to chew and gnaw.