Whinge about a fall

The Good, the Bad and the Annoying.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by eccles »

Out for my usual daily walk, this morning I stumbled over a kerb and went a pearler landing flat on my face. I suffered a few scrapes to my face and upper lip but it'll heal in about a week. What was hurt most was my dignity - falls happen to old people. OK, at 75 I suppose I am old but until today I'd never thought of being in that category.
Ho hum...
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by OurCreature »

That's horrid, Eccs - I hope you recover quickly from that fall.

Mum had a fall in Winchester when she was 83 or 84, just outside the bank. The workmen were doing things to the pedestrian area and had sectioned off their work area with those red and white barriers with the sticky-out feet; Mum didn't notice one of the sticky-out feet, tripped over it and whacked the side of her face against the barrier. People helped her and someone even sent for an ambulance; they decided she didn't need the hospital and took her home instead. She recovered physically from the fall but lost her confidence somewhat re walking and never got it back 100%.

However, you are somewhat younger than Mum was so I hope from that point of view everything will be all right.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by eccles »

Thanks OC. I was over a mile from home at the time so had little choice but to continues walking which wasn't a problem. No doubt I'll be out again tomorrow. Shaving might be a problem for a few days though.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by Furby »

Poor brave Eccles walking home with a smashed face. You are right though no choice if need to get home. Its part of why I dislike going far because of no way to get home should something happen.

Hope Eccles is ok today for his walk and after all its not your legs injured is it so why not.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by eccles »

Furby wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:09 am Poor brave Eccles walking home with a smashed face. You are right though no choice if need to get home. Its part of why I dislike going far because of no way to get home should something happen.

Hope Eccles is ok today for his walk and after all its not your legs injured is it so why not.
Thanks Furby, and yes you're right, my legs are ok so I did the usual 3 mile walk this morning. :elephant
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by dianakc »

Oh no! I hope you are on the mend x
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by eccles »

Thanks Di.
My face scrapes are settling down into dark red scabs that make me look like I've been in a fight. Yeah, bro, I'm tough innit.
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by dianakc »

eccles wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:25 am Thanks Di.
My face scrapes are settling down into dark red scabs that make me look like I've been in a fight. Yeah, bro, I'm tough innit.
🤣
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by mimosa »

You can totally whinge about falls. Those are not amusing. I hope that your face feels better. What about your hands?

ME
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by OurCreature »

scoff.JPG
I scraped my hands a bit when I tripped up on some uneven concrete 5km from the finish of the Reykjavík half marathon in 2000; I was lapped by the winner of the full marathon with 1 km to go; I wouldn't have been if I hadn't fallen over. I had to finish the course because I was being sponsored, and also there was a medical tent at the finish. You can see that the bandages didn't hinder my ability to scoff food that evening!

Several of my friends from work ran various distances that day, and we raised around £3.5k which was shared between Wessex Heartbeat and Icelandic Search and Rescue. My friends Oddur (in the pic) and Habba hosted our party, and I paid for the food.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by Furby »

I wondered about Eccles hands too because usually in a fall it's instinct to put hand out. Then I thought as Eccles is a seasoned walker in all weathers he probably wore good gloves.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by eccles »

I landed on my forearms then toppled forward which is why I scraped my face. Furby is right - I was wearing gloves.
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Whinge about a fall

Post by dianakc »

I once got lapped on a park run by man with a pram 🤣🤣🤣