Autumn Gold

eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Autumn Gold

Post by eccles »

Speech House Lake, Forest of Dean. The location was used in BBC's Merlin (Season 1 episode 7)
Right click and open in a new window for larger image.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Autumn Gold

Post by merry »

Oh, that's beautiful! A perfect depiction of 'Autumn colours'.

I once had to endure a dreadful stay at the YMCA in the F o D when our English teacher foolishly took 30 girls away for a weekend, poor woman, I'm sure she regretted it, off the top of my head I can remember one case of nocturnal vomiting, homesickness, squabbles and general misery! The words 'Speech House' brought it all back to me - we must have paid it a visit, though I don't remember it at all.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Autumn Gold

Post by Furby »

It looks nice in the picture. While sitting on a sofa with the heating on and not there in cold and wet November. Although we don't realise at the time there are advantages to being poor as children because it was an escape from majority of school trips except some day trips.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Autumn Gold

Post by merry »

I think our poor teacher, a well-meaning but easily walked-over woman (oh we did tease her, poor thing!) paid for the whole thing herself!

Nowadays even quite normal state schools have trips to Borneo and so on but I expect only the rich kids can go and the rest make do with a visit to the local prison or something.

I remember when STPD was at a fancy private school (on an 87% scholarship I hasten to say) word came home of a ski-ing trip to a posh resort - they wanted nearly £1000 for it (25 years ago!) - we vetoed it but I don't think she wanted to go, anyway!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City