Blue Lagoon, Iceland - seismic activity (and webcam)

News & Friendly Debate
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The Icelanders are building an auxiliary hot water pipeline and are hoping to reconnect the towns in that part of the country - something like 30k people are without hot water and heating because it is all a big district water heating system fuelled by Svartsengi. They had already started building it just in case it was needed, so they are hoping to complete the works today or tomorrow.

In the meantime there has been a run on electric heaters, with care homes, hospitals and vulnerable people being given priority of supply. A sudden blip in imports of heaters will appear in Iceland's trade figures in due course.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

And lots of business for electricians rewiring houses after that. Electric heaters are fine if you can afford the energy bills but cant plug in more than one at a time while doing anything else. I blew a fuse in my house using the iron while the heater was on so I know these things and am extra careful now.

Its all bad news everywhere at the moment isnt it. Cant the lava do something useful and go south and make more iceland. I am impressed at Icelands extreme cleverness in having already started in case of future need obviously didnt employ any English advisors.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The hot water for the 30k people who have been having to do without is back and the storage tanks are being filled. Some folk have already got their hot water and heating back, but it will take a few days for everybody to be back to normal.

In a separate development the Icelandic government, with (I think) all-party support, is introducing a bill to Alþingi which will establish a company to handle the purchase etc of all residential properties in Grindavík at 95% of their official fire insurance value with the relevant mortgages deducted - that's because the Icelandic government will take over the mortgages. The article doesn't say what happens if the homeowners have negative equity. House owners will have until 1 July to apply if they want to use the scheme. The estimated cost of all this is €411 million.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Doesn't this volcano know about climate change and how we are supposed to be cutting back on emmissions.

Must be very worrying for Iceland people. Nice sunset to look at but no use if your home might be gone.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Nice sunset to look at but no use if your home might be gone.
From my friends' apartment in Greater Reykjavík.
volcano.jpg
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

:eek
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)