North and South Chat

DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

TRavine wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:03 am Does anyone know which month exactly the Hales moved to Milton?

I could look it up, but I don't have the book with me atm. Must have been late summer/autumn right??
Late July or early August.
No, I didn't just have that in the top of my head, there's a searchable text of the novel on Project Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/4276/4276-h/4276-h.htm
(she/her)
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

TRavine wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:03 am Does anyone know which month exactly the Hales moved to Milton?

I could look it up, but I don't have the book with me atm. Must have been late summer/autumn right??
Yes, I think that it could be summer end (august end) or autumn begin (september begin)! 😉
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by ColleenD »

This is what I used to think of when I heard "North and South" Patrick Swayze is pretty good looking but he's no RA.
North and South
North and South
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

If anyone is interesting about this event next week Wednesday, 16th November! 😉
N&S last event
About N&S events in EGH Website

EGH.jpg
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by ColleenD »

I have a question for y'all. I am remembering a scene with John and Mr. Hale where Mr. Hale says something along the lines of "May I call you 'John'?" This would have been when they first met.

I thought it was in the movie or the book but I can't find it. Maybe I read it in a fic somewhere. I am not trying to hunt down the fic though. If it is not from the book or the movie I can't use it but if anyone can tell me it is from book or movie I would appreciate it. Thanks. :D
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by ColleenD »

I think someone answered this already, but I wanted to post here that Trudy Brasure has a North & South timeline on her blog More Than Thornton. It can be found here: http://www.morethanthornton.com/timeline.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

ColleenD wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:05 pm

I think someone answered this already, but I wanted to post here that Trudy Brasure has a North & South timeline on her blog More Than Thornton. It can be found here: http://www.morethanthornton.com/timeline.
Thank you so much, Colleen, this really helps!
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

ColleenD wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:05 pm

I wanted to share this, but Trudy something was did in her blog, so I couldn't going in it and share, but Colleen did it.😁 Very well, Colleen. :clapping This is really interesting, but something I can't understand in it. But maybe it's just that, how Trudy wrote there, than Mrs. Gaskell wasn't correct with records of passing time, but anyway it's amazing job that Trudy did with it and I like it! :love
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Guys, I had read in many fanfics/stories where Frederick hiding under the name Frederick Dickinson. From where this last name is came? From book or somehow from Charles Dickens last name? I need to know it for my stories. Maybe I will add this in one of them too! :up
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:36 pm Guys, I had read in many fanfics/stories where Frederick hiding under the name Frederick Dickinson. From where this last name is came? From book or somehow from Charles Dickens last name? I need to know it for my stories. Maybe I will add this in one of them too! :up
It's from the book, although the spelling can change between Dickenson and Dickinson. (Searchable texts are great! https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/42 ... mages.html)
“Where is Frederick now, mamma? Our letters are directed to the care of Messrs. Barbour, at Cadiz. I know: but where is he himself?”

“I can’t remember the name of the place, but he is not called Hale; you must remember that, Margaret. Notice the F. D. in every corner of the letters. He has taken the name of Dickenson. I wanted him to have been called Beresford, to which he had a kind of right, but your father thought he had better not. He might be recognised, you know, if he were called by my name.”
(she/her)
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Oh, thank you very much, Daisy. :cuddle Yeah, this really mean that I need to reread a book definitely! :lol
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Maybe someone once shared this, but I wanted post this again. Oh, my gosh, how this is fun. I love it, 'cuz John really could do it! :rofl :rofl :rofl :heart
Screenshot_20221225-002154.png
Screenshot_20221225-002202.png
There's that article - https://www.silverpetticoatreview.com/j ... n-moments/ It's wonderful! :love
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

Here's an interesting blog post about what Mr Thornton's clothes tell us about him in the miniseries. I love the attention to detail in the series and how they played with his costumes to emphasise what he was going through in the story.

https://feminema.wordpress.com/2011/10/ ... outh-2004/
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

TRavine wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:51 pm Here's an interesting blog post about what Mr Thornton's clothes tell us about him in the miniseries. I love the attention to detail in the series and how they played with his costumes to emphasise what he was going through in the story.

That. Was. Fascinating. I love it. Thanks for sharing.
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by mimosa »

I remember reading this some time ago, but re-read would be good. I remember reading/watching something similar about Guy of Gisborne as well...so fascinating. Helps that it's the same actor :p :heart

ME
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

TRavine wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:51 pm Here's an interesting blog post about what Mr Thornton's clothes tell us about him in the miniseries. I love the attention to detail in the series and how they played with his costumes to emphasise what he was going through in the story.

I think that I saw this some time ago or something similar, but anyway it's interesting. Thank you, Tom, for sharing this! 😃❤️
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

That was really interesting - I hadn't picked up on when he's wearing the top hat, but yes - it's totally there. And the cravat, for sure.
(she/her)
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by ColleenD »

Doing vocab with the kiddos this morning we came across a word that I thought would be appropriate to N&S. The word was synecdoche. Here is the definition from The Free Dictionary:

synecdoche
A figure of speech in which the name of a part is used to stand for the whole (as hand for sailor), the whole for a part (as the law for police officer), the specific for the general (as cutthroat for assassin), the general for the specific (as thief for pickpocket), or the material for the thing made from it (as steel for sword).

I love words! I get giddy when I learn new ones. As a writer, words are my palette. Discovering a new one is like finding a new color!

Anyway, as soon as I saw the 'hand for sailor' (like all hands on deck!) thing I thought of John calling his workers 'hands' and Margaret not liking that. So Margaret doesn't like synecdoches.

Although now that I think about it... was that in the book or the series, that she didn't approve of calling them hands (or was it in some other fanfic I've read)?

That begs another question... Did Fanny say, in the series, that John was "Married to the Mill"? I used that in my story but I wonder now if I got that from the series or some other fanfic (see my paranoia setting in here LOL!).
graceeliz

North and South Chat

Post by graceeliz »

This is a really interesting read I'll save for when my brain recovers from being back in work with the kids, but it reminded me of my observations when I first read the novel, which was that Thornton and Margaret almost swap the "roles" we anticipate in fiction. The usual stereotypes we've come to expect, and which they probably reasonably expected in the day, are tossed: Margaret is reserved and stern and seems unfeeling, and John is the one who feels strongly and is heartbroken. In fact, you could argue that compared with Pride and Prejudice (as it so often is) the roles of the main male and female lead are switched. I'm not sure if I wrote about this in my coursework or not, but I've probably got notes about it somewhere, possibly annotated in the actual novel, which I haven't actually read since then.
Violently Enthusiastically Northern
graceeliz

North and South Chat

Post by graceeliz »

Now then, this may have come up in your fun research before, but these two real historical events make up the strike in North and South:
The strike over wages in 1854,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston ... %80%931854
And the strike and riots in 1842
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_Strike_of_1842
I'm sure I also remember reading about a lockout but I'm not sure whether it was the 1842 riot or if I'm misremembering some other piece of research. It's been, gosh, four years or more since I did my a levels, so I do still remember a bit but it's not by any means fresh. I hope you enjoy this little piece of historical real life context!
Violently Enthusiastically Northern