North and South Chat

Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

ColleenD wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:39 pm Doing vocab with the kiddos this morning we came across a word that I thought would be appropriate to N&S. The word was synecdoche. Here is the definition from The Free Dictionary:

synecdoche
A figure of speech in which the name of a part is used to stand for the whole (as hand for sailor), the whole for a part (as the law for police officer), the specific for the general (as cutthroat for assassin), the general for the specific (as thief for pickpocket), or the material for the thing made from it (as steel for sword).
That's interesting, but I didn't understand. Sorry, but for me it's so complicated description. I had read it many times, but still nothing. :blush But prefer that is something interesting! :up
ColleenD wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:39 pm Although now that I think about it... was that in the book or the series, that she didn't approve of calling them hands (or was it in some other fanfic I've read)?

No, I think it wasn't in the series nor the book. I don't remember at least it! :huh
ColleenD wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:39 pm That begs another question... Did Fanny say, in the series, that John was "Married to the Mill"? I used that in my story but I wonder now if I got that from the series or some other fanfic (see my paranoia setting in here LOL!).
No, she didn't said it I think. I'm watching it so much times, so I say that this wasn't there! :lol
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
graceeliz

North and South Chat

Post by graceeliz »

I suppose this goes in here. I'm listening to the BBC Radio 4 drama version ft Patsy Ferran, on BBC sounds. I like it!
Violently Enthusiastically Northern
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by ColleenD »

I just found this: Audible has North and South for free https://www.audible.com/pd/North-and-So ... 0adcf31590

You don't need a subscription just an Audible account. They have a bunch of other free audiobooks too, including other Gaskells, Austen, Dickens, etc.

https://www.audible.com/ep/FreeListens? ... pK8MrIWTWI
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by ColleenD »

I saw this online. It proves that we ff authors provide a necessary service to humanity. :D
Attachments
325289601_498845529039037_2933429134007546821_n.jpg
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

ColleenD wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:49 pm I saw this online. It proves that we ff authors provide a necessary service to humanity. :D
Oooh I felt that!!! And that's so true!!! I have a hard time starting new books sometimes, partly because I'm still too much into the ones from the last book. 🤣 That may weird, but my brain goes: "I'm not up for meeting new people again. I'd rather hang out with the ones I know and love."
That may also be the reason why I'd rather rewatch my comfort movies for the 50th time than start a new Netflix series. 😂
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

Also this! 🤣🤣 Pretty accurate.

82c75f04ef14868ab3a7ed8f5cc3ec55--book-images-allons-y.jpg
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

TRavine wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:34 am Also this! 🤣🤣 Pretty accurate.

:rofl :rofl :rofl
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

:lol That picture! says it ALL!
It proves that we ff authors provide a necessary service to humanity.
Absolutely! :clap It's that which got me into writing fanfic in the first place.... NO, WHAT?! YOU STOPPED THERE??!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

merry wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:50 am :lol That picture! says it ALL!
It proves that we ff authors provide a necessary service to humanity.
Absolutely! :clap It's that which got me into writing fanfic in the first place.... NO, WHAT?! YOU STOPPED THERE??!
Do you know, I just realised I wrote fanfiction as a child. For movies and books I loved and wanted to be a part of the story!
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

TRavine wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:33 am
ColleenD wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:49 pm I saw this online. It proves that we ff authors provide a necessary service to humanity. :D
Oooh I felt that!!! And that's so true!!! I have a hard time starting new books sometimes, partly because I'm still too much into the ones from the last book. 🤣 That may weird, but my brain goes: "I'm not up for meeting new people again. I'd rather hang out with the ones I know and love."
That may also be the reason why I'd rather rewatch my comfort movies for the 50th time than start a new Netflix series. 😂
This makes perfect sense to me. It may also be why you travel back to the same places rather than exploring new ones. You want to find all the hidden details and secrets
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

Philipaholt wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:08 pm
TRavine wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:33 am
This makes perfect sense to me. It may also be why you travel back to the same places rather than exploring new ones. You want to find all the hidden details and secrets
That is literally SO true!!! 😉🙃 How do you people know me so well?! 🤣
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by ColleenD »

Oh, I love this! Yes! FF is like a smorgasboard.
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Oh, absolutely. Fanfic style writing, where people pick up an idea and do it all the ways it could have been is much, much closer to how people wrote pre-1700. Yes, in some cases there are original stories where we know who thought up the first plot, but a lot of the Big Stories, like Greek myths, and the Arthurian Cycle, and Robin Hood, and that, the 'great' versions are the ones that got told by a great writer - they were drawing on a big sloshy cauldron of other people's story telling to get there.
(she/her)
PenelopePitstop

North and South Chat

Post by PenelopePitstop »

Reading well written fanfiction has opened up the characters of John and Margaret for me, revealing new believable layers to their personalities, and giving greater insight into their motivations and drivers, something which the book and TV series only hint at.
As a grateful reader, thank you writers for all your fabulous John and Margaret tales. ❤
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

Penelope. Thank you so much! You are lovely - so supportive - heartening to hear something like that, it really is! :bighug
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by mimosa »

Oh Pippa, why do you have John Thornton chewing coffee grinds? :eek

We have a 5-cup pot where Y, G, and I each make our own separate coffee (well, the pot is broken, so we use mugs and the girls get cheap coffee whereas I get quality coffee -- that's my salary...bwahahaha). One of my daughters is messy putting grinds in the filter of our coffee maker (so it gets in the filter holder), and I just got a load in my coffee...so freaking gross. :bash

:rofl

ME
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

mimosa wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:18 pm Oh Pippa, why do you have John Thornton chewing coffee grinds? :eek

We have a 5-cup pot where Y, G, and I each make our own separate coffee (well, the pot is broken, so we use mugs and the girls get cheap coffee whereas I get quality coffee -- that's my salary...bwahahaha). One of my daughters is messy putting grinds in the filter of our coffee maker (so it gets in the filter holder), and I just got a load in my coffee...so freaking gross. :bash

ME
Because....he just does....Im not terribly sure why?? He's an odd one, my John. Does things out of nowhere....I have it as a habit he picked up from his father.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by mimosa »

Philipaholt wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:17 pm
mimosa wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:18 pm Oh Pippa, why do you have John Thornton chewing coffee grinds? :eek

ME
Because....he just does....Im not terribly sure why?? He's an odd one, my John. Does things out of nowhere....I have it as a habit he picked up from his father.
Yes, he does and he did. Your John has many unusual quirks...and I love him, even if he chews coffee grinds. I'm glad that Margaret found that she loves him, too. :love

ME
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

mimosa wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:01 pm

ME
Yes, he does and he did. Your John has many unusual quirks...and I love him, even if he chews coffee grinds. I'm glad that Margaret found that she loves him, too. :love

ME
Oh now I'm dying to know what other unusual quirks he's got 😅🤣🤣
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

Philipaholt wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:17 pm
mimosa wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:01 pm

ME
Oh now I'm dying to know what other unusual quirks he's got 😅🤣🤣
Right off the bat: Tossing his keys and wallet in his hat. 😁 Always loved that one.