North and South Chat

merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

The last post in our previous topic:
OK, so I have wasted a ridiculous amount of time (where I'm supposed to be going to bed and sleeping because I have to wake up early and get my daughter to vball practice) looking for the comment about the roses being fake, and I told Tom I'd try to find my source: I found it!

"KB: Â All the yellow roses that you can see dotted all over the place were actually fake roses, so the art department had to spend hours trying to put in fake, sort of material roses all over the place."
https://richardarmitagecentral.co.uk/tr ... parts-1-2/
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

and I replied that I thought it had survived the journey from Helstone in John's pocket rather well ! :lol:
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

Did anyone else attend the online interview with Sandy Welch, which was hosted by the Elisabeth Gaskell house yesterday?
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

Ummm. What??! How did I miss such a lovely event?

(No, Tom I missed it. Hope you got to watch.)
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

I did watch it and it was fascinating! Very interesting. TheScribblerCMB interviewed her and they talked for almost one and a half hours. They had to cut it short in the end and did not get to talk about the Great Exhibition scene :cry:

But they spoke about the beating of Stevens, which was interesting, the train scene, and Ann Latimer.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by mimosa »

Yes, Tom, I was there.
I was on my son's computer, and my ID was Mumpsy. LOL. I was so glad to see another one of there..totally "recognized" you.

Philipa, you can still listen in. You contact Linda at Elizabeth Gaskell house and tell her. You have to buy the ticket and then she'll send you the link. That is what I might do for the other talks about North and South that I have missed.

ME
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

I was on my son's computer, and my ID was Mumpsy. LOL. I was so glad to see another one of there..totally "recognized" you.
Aah so that was you!!! :D :D I saw your comment and was like "I bet that's one of the Millers" lol

Oh I should do that too I think. I hated missing the one about Manchester. They are mostly on Wednesdays, which sucks, because that's when I have evening classes.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by mimosa »

TRavine wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:38 pm
Aah so that was you!!! :D :D I saw your comment and was like "I bet that's one of the Millers" lol

Oh I should do that too I think. I hated missing the one about Manchester. They are mostly on Wednesdays, which sucks, because that's when I have evening classes.

Yes! I was hoping you would figure out that it was a Miller by my comment. I was trying to say something that tried to give a clue. I mean, the exclamation you used was just soooo "German"? It was so great.

I follow the Scribbler on FB, but I could hardly understand her English. What a thick accent she has! I could have listened to them for hours. LOL!!

ME
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

Yes! I was hoping you would figure out that it was a Miller by my comment. I was trying to say something that tried to give a clue. I mean, the exclamation you used was just soooo "German"? It was so great.
Haha true! 😂 And I doubt there are too many Toms in this fandom.🤔😅
I follow the Scribbler on FB, but I could hardly understand her English. What a thick accent she has! I could have listened to them for hours. LOL!!
Tell me about it, especially via zoom, where the audio quality isn't always top notch. It was the second talk I saw with her, so I had somewhat grown used to her accent by then. She is extremely knowledgable and I love her character interpretations.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

Hey - look what two of our lovely Millers did!
travineforum.png
forsteerforum.png

I am unbelievably touched by this - sniffle! :grouphug

Thank you both! (and how clever you are!! wow! beautiful!)
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

merry wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:42 pm
I am unbelievably touched by this - sniffle! :grouphug

Thank you both! (and how clever you are!! wow! beautiful!)
You're welcome, merry. We really love this forum, so we wanted to help to grow it bigger. :cuddle One person answered to this my story, but I don't know if this person will be joining. We will see it and I'm happy to help! 😃🥰
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

That's lovely! Hopefully we can snag some more lovely friends :clap
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

Bless you Forsteeriana, you are just so lovely :cuddle and so talented! I have no artistic talent whatsoever so I'm always super-impressed by those who are.
Hopefully we can snag some more lovely friends
And we are missing a couple of our old ones - Annabella and Penelope at least. For Annabella I will leave a comment on one of her stories (I have found one I haven't read! so a treat anyway) and put the link in. I hate to nag people though (believe it or not :lol
PenelopePitstop

North and South Chat

Post by PenelopePitstop »

Hello again Millers,
I have found my way back to the Mill after re-registering.
I would have liked to have joined in the Sandy Welch session to ask her why she did not include the scene where Thornton carries Margaret into the house after she's been knocked unconscious and he cries "Oh my Margaret...etc". Don't suppose anyone knows answer to this, Sandy's rationale? For purely drool inducing reasons alone, I would have loved this scene in the adaptation!😅 Maybe it would have been a bit too swoon-worthy for TV?!!
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

Oh Penny, I am so pleased to see you! I was figuring out a way to send a search party to bring you back to the flock :up :grouphug
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by merry »

Thornton carries Margaret into the house after she's been knocked unconscious and he cries "Oh my Margaret...etc". Don't suppose anyone knows answer to this, Sandy's rationale? For purely drool inducing reasons alone, I would have loved this scene in the adaptation!😅 Maybe it would have been a bit too swoon-worthy for TV?!!
Oh good heavens! :loveeyes I wish they had put that in - imagine!

Were they trying to keep John a mystery man to the end? He looks at her lying there and we are supposed to GUESS he is thinking 'Oh my Margaret'?

Personally I felt TRavine's North and South Crack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl04XymxaIY did this way better than the series. An offkey wailing voiceover singing "IIIIII... will always love yoooooooooooo - OH SHIT!" :lol :lol :lol
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by TRavine »

I would have liked to have joined in the Sandy Welch session to ask her why she did not include the scene where Thornton carries Margaret into the house after she's been knocked unconscious and he cries "Oh my Margaret...etc". Don't suppose anyone knows answer to this, Sandy's rationale? For purely drool inducing reasons alone, I would have loved this scene in the adaptation!😅 Maybe it would have been a bit too swoon-worthy for TV?!!
They did actually touch on that briefly, and Sandy said something along the lines of: Margaret did hear Fanny and the maid talking about her pursuing John, and if she had included that scene with John's confession, it would likely not have been clear to the audience whether Margaret would have heard that as well or not, so it might have been confusing.

I still like to ponder what Richard Armitage would have done with that scene ;)
PenelopePitstop

North and South Chat

Post by PenelopePitstop »

Just watched the Crack video - very funny, great editing!
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Philipaholt »

Tom's crack video is one of my favourites
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North and South Chat

Post by Forsteriaana30 »