October Chatty - after the apocalypse II

Chat about anything and everything
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Still running around looking at settings. I just disabled one which would have said "someone has posted ahead of you while you were writing that do you want to wait and read theirs first" which I think would just confuse a tired poster (me)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Poor tired Pani!

Am impressed you made the new Chatty, though! you don't usually obey me as quickly as that :whip
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by asymphototropic »

Wow, I was afraid I had lost you all forevah! Taking a bit of getting used to, this new format.

Had an emergency tooth pulled last Saturday, but bearing up bravely!

Looking at our share of the remnants of Hurricane Ian out the window.

But must scurry off to a wedding at the courthouse. :wave
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

So glad to see you, Asy! :clapping :kissy

Sorry about your poorly tooth :( teeth troubles are the worst !

Hope Hurricane Ian was not too bad to you?
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by asymphototropic »

What happened to the old website? Did something epic transpire? Your disappearance and re emergence is shrouded in mystery. :D
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Asy, the 'Epic' was Merry and Pani working flat out to get this new site up and running after the server provider decided to upgrade and not support the old Board any more when HF couldn't run on the upgraded server.

As I'm not a techie I'm not sure if I am 100% correct but I think I'm close enough.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Hi Asy :wave

As OC said they upgraded the server. It had all the latest software and our poor old forum couldn't connect to it at all. I was expecting it one day but not right then and it was a bit of a panic to find an alternative.

There was no way to change our old forum to work, but I always had a copy running on a computer at my place for testing purposes and for now at least that is open to visitors to read (but not post in)

It is running on old software it can cope with, but it's not practical to try it and run it for posting in.

It's there for reasons of nostalgia and so people can pop in and read old posts or copy a photo they liked.

It is up to date with the very last post before it failed.

http://dark.hard-facts.net/cgi-bin/forum/fxm.cgi

Login/password the same as before.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

It does seem to be the way of the modern world that things don't work any more and they say it's just too bad we don't want you using old fashioned things like banks and boards any more we only like apps now. Well done pani for getting us back to something at least the same colour in a few days. Are there photo rules for admins on this one why have pani and merry got those silly faces were the Wizards exterminated.

I have seen the dark facts website but I wont keep pestering it in case of wears out panis systems. I do remember we said things 15 years ago and check back at times so will look then. It's become so much more difficult now talk is mostly in chat and it could be anywhere so recently I haven't dug up old threads as much.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

:lol You don't like my profile pic?!

I'll have to change it now ! :oops:

Can't answer for Pani :D
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

There! Is that better?

(that is a picture of me drawn by Juliet on her phone.)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Her boots are made for pinking!
(Where are her little shears?)
You'd better not annoy her
Or it all might end in tears.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

:lol

Did you make that up? I love it.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Yes, I did. Clearly it's a doggerel based on Nancy Sinatra's These Boots Are Made For Walking but I made most of the words up apart from the first line.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

With the photos I wondered if the new place had rules that admins must show faces.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

No. But I have lost my little pink Top Cat, though I expect Pani could find it again.

Pani is working on the Gallery today. Look at these treasures!

Furby made Pani a certificate
furbycert.jpg

merry and OC at Stanway House - with swans!
swansoc.jpg
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Furby, I just fancied a change and this avatar used to belong to SilentPartner. A login I used for testing the other style when I made changes.

I may choose something better when I get time.

Don't worry about bandwidth if you visit the dark forum. It's more the other way around. If we tried to use it as our main forum I'd be rebooting or downloading something huge and no one would be able to post.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

The Hard Facts Gallery Merry mentioned is up now though still may need adjusting.

I collected together all the images attached to posts on the old forum and put them up there in case anyone wanted them. Also the contents of the older gallery we had. I didn't want any treasures going missing (like my certificate :))

The Board Archive is split into years and months with the posting date in the filename under the image.

I may have better uses for that in time.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I am fed up looking at AGENT EDDIE BALLMAN lol

(I wish we still had the 'three latest topics' in each subforum thing but P made that specially for oldboard and probably won't be possible on this one.)

Well guess what we spent all morning fixing the board AGAIN because of the email thing. This is a known issue. I guess it's all teething problems and we will soon be settled....

What else, hmmmm.... well, I had a Waitrose delivery of mostly 'my favourites on offer.' W are generous and their weekly offers are 25% off so make a real saving. Did I really need two tubs of coffee icecream and a large Italian Christmas chocolate cake tho ;)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The gas engineer should be calling today; E.ON have arranged the appointment to begin between 08:00 ie five minutes ago and 12:00; we shall see.

If I am told yet again that the engineer can find nothing wrong with my gas meter I shall be annoyed. I have printed out my gas and electricity meter readings so that he can see which one has had manual readings taken since the end of April this year. If he still claims there is nothing wrong with my gas meter at the end of his visit - assuming he hasn't replaced it - there is no further hope down this avenue.

09:00 and no phone call from the engineer to say when he will arrive.
10:00 and no phone call from the engineer to say when he will arrive.
11:00 and a phone call from the engineer to say he will arrive in around half an hour.
11:30 they arrived.
12.20 they departed, having changed my gas meter and making sure everything was OK.

If the gas meter is indeed working, I shall be happy.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Hooray they turned up. Wasn't he supposed to do a long test of using lots of gas and seeing did he do that.

I don't have confidence in smart meters. It's all very well that they don't have to bother to come and read the meter every 2 years but if they need to come out sooner to replace battery (happened to a few people on gas meters which don't have their own supply) or because the thing is broken like oc there is no saving is there. A meter reader will be cheaper than meter fixer.

They haven't been our to read mine since lockdown which by my calculations is over 2 years. Tney send stuff varying from threats to bribes to have a smart meter. I send my readings because I can read an old metermirz just look at the big clear numbers. My latest bribes are I can have a free cup of coffee or a tree named after me if I get a smart meter. They could at least offer something worthwhile like a new comuputer or TV or fridge couldn't they. A cup of coffee thst i would have to go out and catch covid to get. If I am forced to have a meter I will pick the tree.