October Chatty - after the apocalypse II

Chat about anything and everything
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

you do still have all the worry of can't get the repair men.
So true sigh. We have started trying to fix minor things ourselves rather than try to find a man who will actually come.

Cheer for Patience, property owner! :toast
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Only one more day of FreePonyCare for me! yay!

It's not been too bad - weather's been nice, mud's my greatest enemy, there was that one year I kept getting my welly stuck in a foot of mud and sitting down in it :eek :lol but I shall NOT be sorry to go back to my one-day-a-week duty after tomorrow. I discovered to my horror an auxiliary poo patch the little blighters had been sneakily using, so when I thought I had been leaving a completely clean field I hadn't been. And now they have trampled it which makes it harder to pick. But I'll take my time tomorrow and try to clear the backlog.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Awww. Merry, the pesky pony poo. 💩

My car is back from the body shop, I was getting the alloys refurbished, a dent fixed and some scrapes and chips fixed.
Attachments
5C34A934-95C6-4631-9774-BD322993548C.jpeg
1B748131-1ED4-435B-84D6-2A9EF1BC0CFE.jpeg
F9F0685F-9B79-4B44-8880-F79889300807.jpeg
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I have managed to scrape near the nearside rear wheelarch when overestimating my capabilities when reversing Jazzy into my garage. My mileage is turning out to be very low (less than 5,000 miles a year) so I might keep Jazzy when the PCP comes to an end; if I do he will have his scrapes put right, like Patience's car which looks very nice.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Nice car, Patience! I like the colour too! Fizzy is the same shade of blue (but rather older and more battered :lol)

Poor OC! I hate it when those bumps happen! I was driving back through Alderton the other day and there was a diversion onto a tiny country lane; I pulled into the verge seeing a HUGE LORRY coming towards me, which was fine, but when I set off again there was an awful bump and scrape noise as Fizzy dived down a huge pothole IN the verge. :eek being he is so SMALL we were lucky not to vanish without trace lol. Couldn't see any obvious bumps, but it's one more nail in his coffin I fear as it will have damaged something.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Fizzy is holding up well. My car is a 13 plate and is growing old gracefully.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Several years ago I front ended someone on a motorway exit. The usual thing, the guy in front pulled away, I rolled forward checking to the right that there was room for another to follow and he braked. The damage to my car wasn't much more than the badge broken but since I had to put the other person's minor scrape through the insurance and I have no-claims protection I put mine through as well. The body shop not only repaired the scrape but also valeted inside and treated the body with a hard wearing polish. A friend popped round three days ago and commented on how shiny my car was. I last washed it about a month ago. I have no idea what exactly the body shop's treatment was but it was a very good job, almost worth the scrape.
It is an 07 plate. Occasionally the fascia lights disappear and I have to bang on the front shelf to bring it back. Fingers crossed for November 2nd which is when it is booked for its MOT.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Eccs, the body shop guy mentioned it to me when I said I’d seen a car that I liked but it was black and I wasn’t keen. His wife had bought a black car and they had it treated with this.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Why are cars such boring colours anyway.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The Little Master had his claws clipped today; some of them had grown quite thick so I was pleased I took him to visit his Physician. The extra rations are doing their work - he has put on 200 gm in 4 months and is now 6.44 kg. I'll do the same for the Lady Mina in around 2 weeks. Master Midge didn't really like having his claws clipped, but was placated by the occasional dried treat which he happily consumed in between clippings. The vet's virtual cash register rang out to the tune of £35 which wasn't too bad.

On Tuesday afternoon I ordered a 10 kg sack of dried food (Royal Canin Maine Coon breed specific) for Them. When I arrived home next afternoon from my duties at Knightwood and Park Road (it was visit Old Gentleman day) a cardboard box with my order inside it was on my front doorstep. You could see it only when opposite my front door thanks to my neighbour's lowish wall. I hadn't expected a next day delivery!

And I forgot to report on my lunch at Bella Vita a week yesterday. I kicked off with a ginger beer while waiting for my spicy meat balls in a cheese and tomato sauce - delicious as usual. Then I had a pizza folded over into what they call a calzone filled with chorizo, chicken and other meat, cheese and tomato - and a big glass of house white to wash it down. For dessert I had space only for 2 scoops of ice cream (chocolate and toffee) and then a cappuccino. That came to £45 including tip.

Next Wednesday I am taking 2 of my lady colleagues there for lunch - they haven't been there before, so if they don't like it at least they won't have spent any money there!
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Sounds lovely, OC, and how nice of you to take your colleagues there! :hugs
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by asymphototropic »

The Loudoun Now newspaper reports this item:

In a procedural move designed to keep an accused knife murderer from avoiding trial, "county prosecutors filed a new felony charge of concealment of a dead body in Circuit Court the morning of October 6...."

Gosh, I may just file my wedding registers by mail for awhile. :D
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Yay! My will is finally done, signed, copy received and bill paid.
It’s taken since April for the mortgage charge removed from my title deeds and my will done.
Sigh.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Wd Patience, it's always a relief when important legal things are sorted out.

I received my letter from the DWP today to confirm that my Winter Fuel Payment for 2022 will be £500. They take pains to inform me that the £500 includes extra money - a Pensioner Cost Of Living Payment - that I shall receive only for winter 2022.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Gosh, I may just file my wedding registers by mail for awhile.
:lol Asy! life in Loudoun seems so exciting :D

Well done for getting that sorted, Patience. Mr M and I made wills years ago, quite simple ones, which are with our solicitor and nothing has changed so I don't think they need updating. I would quite like to add in a largeish bequest to my beloved donkeys at Safehaven :love but hopefully if I get enough warning (!) I can do a donation myself while waiting for the Reaper to arrive lol.

Mr M has been poorly with a really bad chesty cough and cold the last two days. I've woken up with it and feel quite unwell :( I hope I'm better for Wednesday, when I'm due to go to Bristol to stay with STPD!
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

All the best to you and Mr Merry. Feeling ill is rubbish. :grouphug
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Get well soon, Merries! :grouphug
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Poor Mr merry. He gets out and about the least in the merry family doesn't he to have opportunities to catch colds yet he has it first. And now poor poorly merry too. I hope it's better by Wednesday that is four days. I have had a few mini colds since lockdown and I think oh no this is it I have covid but then it's gone in one or two days not even like a real cold.

The dwp are thinking ahead sending warning messages to oc. I don't think it will help them and next year we will see stories about winter fuel help for pensioners being cut by half and they are freezing again. Its always a danger of giving help that it then becomes a cruel thing to take it away when it was kind thing to give it in the first place.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Poor Merries. If you're still unwell it might be wise not to visit STPD and pass it on to her and her patients.
I am still waiting for my letter from the DWP.
Cor didn't it rain last night! My garden pond is full.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Sadly I've cancelled Bristol. Just not fair to spread it around - on train, bus, or to STPD herself :cry

Thanks for the good wishes al :bighug

I'll be back xxx