Coronation Nation (6 May) - souvenirs and other stuff

Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Don't think he has to stop talking to plants does he George v was allowed to keep talking to his stamps and no need to write to prime mininster when he meets him every week . I expect reading the King's speech written by the government for him will choke him more than it did the previous queen. The King has signed laws to stop environment protestors getting in the way of his coronation so it just shows people only care about the environment as long as they are all right personally. All laws need police willing to enforce them though and there been the problem with protestors so far. There must already be laws about sitting in the road because drunks try it and are moved on.

There's still time to sign up to volunteering on Monday but its online only as many things these days. When I went to the waxworks i only saw queen and William and Kate. Charles was missing. So I looked up to see if he's there yet and they are online booking only and cashless for the cafe and shop. Don't deserve any customers do they really.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Ocado had sold out of the big Coronation Colin, and all the mini Coronation Colins, by yesterday. :sob Just as I had made up my mind to order one!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

merry wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:15 pm I love it, OC!

Oh Furby I do hope we see a postbox with a hat! I love those.

Mr Merry (nothing wrong with his wits!) cracked me up today.

Presenter on Classic FM: "I've had a letter from Anna in Norfolk, she says 'the Coronation Fruit-cake's in the oven!'
Mr Merry thunders "BEST PLACE FOR HIM, I SAY!"

:rofl

We have henceforth referred to him as The Coronation Fruitcake every time he gets a mention on tv/radio (far too often, alas)
Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

ME
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

merry wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:06 pm Ocado had sold out of the big Coronation Colin, and all the mini Coronation Colins, by yesterday. :sob Just as I had made up my mind to order one!
Asda's Letty is still showing in stock.
https://groceries.asda.com/product/birt ... 0383166762

In keeping with the fruit cake topic the above "may contain nuts"
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Meanwhile in Wales.............
It had been billed as “the party of the year”, but a Welsh market town has been forced to cancel its coronation celebration after failing to raise any money to cover costs.

Caldicot, in south-east Wales, was planning a “massive street party” with a big screen to watch the coronation of King Charles III, a “fully decorated town centre”, entertainment, children’s activities and competitions.

But organisers were forced to call off the festivities when nobody contributed to a crowdfunding page and they failed to attract money from local authorities.

The community group Caldicot Town Team said on its website: “Caldicot Town Team are disappointed to announce that the planned event for the king’s coronation has had to be cancelled primarily due to a lack of support and funding available to cover costs.
Full article here:-

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... oney-costs
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I took a walk down to where I saw the knitted post box hat last year. No sign of any hat. So does seem less interest. I did think of getting a coin so I have the coronation set but I don't know where they sell them now banks don't. Then i thought I am old and have enough stuff anyway so stopped trying to find out.

And its going to rain tomorrow. So people will be glad they cancelled street parties. Who used to pay for street parties I have avoided attending any ever but don't remember fund raising requests for jubilees. Nobody at all contributing to crowd funding. I don't really understand the crowd funding but people seem to raise thousands for all sorts of things don't they so nobody at all paying seems very disappointing.

Wales in the link oc posted has a nice knitted post box hat.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Eccles - I have ordered a Letty for tomorrow!

I bet it will be out of stock by then! fingers crossed!

Asda's Letty and M&S Colin put to the test

letty.jpg

Can you get your coin from The Royal Mint Furby? I bought one the other day, not a Coronation one but it came quickly and was nicely packaged
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Yay our friends in Vienna :rofl

charlietram.png
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

It's wellying down here so like Furbyland any street party will get washed out. During my regular walks I saw one house has bunting outside and another has a straggly bit adorning their front gate, and that's it.
As for the rain, it's lucky the big thing is indoors isn't it.
Good luck getting Letty, Merry.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I suppose I could but I can't be botheted. If they want to make it more difficult to get commemorative crown coins by letting the banks stop supplying them too bad. I will look at my previous ones.

People are sitting in the abbey already. They are going to have the where are the toilets problem by 2pm aren't they. I know are toilets in the abbey but with security they might not let people just wander about and won't be enough for everyone all day. I also wondered what all the people camping out in tents to get front row standing room on the mall do for toilets and if people steal their place when they go finding toilets or if people turn up claiming back from toilet asking to go to the front.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Letty isn't coming :sob

I sort of knew this would happen, but since it was in stock when I ordered it this means they give priority to instore shoppers. Sad :(

My coronation cups and saucer isn't coming either! it was a gift for a friend :sad
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I bought a battenberg cake in advance and they keep for weeks anyway and have a tin of shortbread biscuits which aren't my favourite but are OK and always what you have go eat to get celebration tins. And my boring cheese and onion quiche is in the oven.

Do you think they have kept stocks low on purpose thinking people won't be that interested and don't want to be stuck with coronation stuff because after today it gets sold at half price or given to the poor or something.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I've just had a look at the order of service. Tedious isn't it?
They will do Zorba the Greek by Handle soon I think. :D
Ah yes, they've just sung it.
He's just been handed a bird and a spoon. :huh

It's sad that Merry doesn't have a caterpillar. Have you checked the garden?
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

And royal family not wearing tiaras. If you can't wear a tiara at a coronation when can you so what's the point of them having tiaras. All church services are terribly tedious this has been reduced from 4 hours of tediousness to only 2 hours and will be back to the horses and carts soon. I thought the horses seemed upset kept shaking their horsey heads a lot. The subtitles on GB news are bizarre during the hymn singing.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

And royal family not wearing tiaras.
I noticed that as well, Furby, but the Princess of Wales saved the day with her tiara and Princess Charlotte wore a mini-tiara. Prince Andrew was allowed to wear his Knight of the Garter fancy dress - several other people wore that get-up including the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent. The former PMs who are also Knights of the Garter just wore their Garter necklaces. I noticed that Messrs Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron hurried in before the last 3 former PMs properly arrived; I suppose they didn't want to be anywhere near Joker Johnson and Traumatic Truss and left Theresa May to deal with them if necessary.

I noticed that one of the guests was Andrew Bailey, the Governor of the Bank of England; presumably he was there to make sure that the cheque that pays for it all doesn't bounce.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Well that's that until the next coronation. We are unlikely to get a jubilee as Charles will be 99.

It's the music concert at windsor tomorrow Sunday . I am surprised Lionel Richie is still capable of singing songs but at least I heard of him unlike most of the other contestants.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

One thing I forgot to mention was Penny Mordaunt carrying the Sword of State. She looked like an avenging goddess out of classical mythology. I thought her outfit suited her very well. In the background you can see John Major wearing his Garter necklace; I didn't know until just now that he is 80 years old, he looks very well.
mordaunt.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Ah, Penny Mordaunt! I wondered who she was !
Do you think they have kept stocks low on purpose thinking people won't be that interested and don't want to be stuck with coronation stuff because after today it gets sold at half price or given to the poor or something.
That makes sense actually. Though Asda's design was not too kingly and would have carried on selling i think (little red soldiers.)

Zadok the Priest, yayyy! and one other good tune, forgotten what it was now. More Handel maybe.

I also thought the horses looked unsettled :( especially the poor boy who had two giant drums hanging on his sides being beaten with sticks! It's not fair on them it really isn't. Horses are uncomplaining creatures and they pay a price for it. Try hitching up six donkeys to a silly gold carriage and see how far you get :devil

Thanks Eccles. On your advice I found a nice caterpillar in the garden and ate it for tea, with a cuppa. It was tastier than the Letty cake would have been! Not necessarily in a good way.
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by asymphototropic »

Penny looks so much like Angela Lansbury, her grannie's cousin. Especially her nose. At least I think so. this pic belongs to Turner.
Attachments
AngelaLansbury small.jpg
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I didn't know that about Penny Mordaunt - thank you Asy. I looked up her Wikipedia page and the connection is via her mother who was a member by marriage of the (Philip) Snowden family.