Coronation Nation (6 May) - souvenirs and other stuff

merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Unfortunately.

I suppose we have to have a topic about it.

Memorabilia and nice food will be the funnest part.

I might have even bought this Asda coronation bear but it's out of stock of course.

I don't actually like it that much so it's probably just as well ;)

asdabear.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

According to BBC News

There are hopes that people will say out loud: "I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God."

The Archbishop of Canterbury will then proclaim "God save the King", with all asked to respond: "God save King Charles. Long live King Charles. May the King live forever."
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Tesco had a king bear but I have resisted ordering it because I have a lot of bears already ending up in skip when I shuffle off so at my old age should not be collecting any more.

I was shocked that children are having last minute school lessons because they don't understand the coronation and monarchy. At my school all our history lessons revolved round who was the king or queen back then. When I was little the coins showed all the previous 20th century kings and queen victoria and I had a collection of pennies. Coins are virtually gone these days and anyway since 1972 it's been queen Elizabeth or nothing and everything pre 1945 was melted down to send to the Americans.

I will watch the coronation because I like the ceremony and think it's a big swizz not letting the lordships wear their red fur coats and silly hats. They have them already in the family so would even cost less than then all buying a brand new suit. All this inclusion stuff is a bit odd too can understand it for family occasions if thats what Charles wants but the coronation is a sacred religious ceremony only church of england people should be allowed in the abbey. This wouldn't include me so I didn't expect to be invited and I wasn't.

There's a litter clean up on Monday they want volunteers for. 2000 people get a day watching the king be crowned and the likes of me get a chance to pick up litter. It's insulting really. The idea of making people volunteer is probably well intentioned but tagged onto a 100 million pound coronation is really the wrong timing.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I did get a biscuit tin but it's not as useful to keep papers in as older Xmas tins.
Attachments
16828415196360.jpg
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

only church of england people should be allowed in the abbey
Ah, that explains why I wasn't invited either. I may watch the recorded highlights but not the full event. The gushing commentary that follows these events gets on my nerves after a while.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The gushing commentary that follows these events gets on my nerves after a while.
I agree, Eccs; that's why (when I do) I watch Trooping the Colour and the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday on the Red Button because those are without commentary.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The Archbishop of Canterbury will then proclaim "God save the King", with all asked to respond: "God save King Charles. Long live King Charles. May the King live forever."
Archbishop Welby didn't need to look too hard to find that, it's from The Messiah but particularised for Good King Charles.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

No one lives forever do they what's point in saying that. Even if charles gets to send a telegram to himself it's only 26 years. History does show us that God has no interest in saving kings.

Red button has accessible commentry for coronation not sure what that is.

Tescos king bear has now been replaced by an eco bear without a crown or cape. If I had thought on I could have ordered one and got my shopping for 40 pounds instead of finding 10 pounds of extra things to make 50 pounds next week.
Attachments
16828606050630.jpg
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

There are hopes that people will say out loud: "I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God."
Given that we won't get a lot of help from God I suspect a large percentage of the UK population will formulate their own response to the above:
tongue.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I think you are right :lol certainly MY response!

There is a Coronation Colin
coronationcolin.jpg
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Back in July 2000 Chaircat Midge made some observations about the then Prince Charles's plans for his future coronation.

And now I can reveal the Prince of Wales' secret plans! He thought he had been clever, but he is not too clever for me! Here you see him trying on some new headgear.
dafthat1.JPG
He is very ethnically minded, almost New Age as long as he has the funds as well, to make it more bearable. He plans to wear the first hat at his Coronation when it happens. He do not like to wear a proper Crown because it very heavy, and he might get tired. But the second hat is for Camilla!
dafthat2.JPG
See how the false dreadlocks obscure the face! She will wear it in Westminster Abbey, and the Archbishop will say Whoo this? And the Prince (soon to be king) will reply, O just a pretender to an obscure European throne, just come along to see wot a proper Coronation look like! And the Archbishop reply, O that all right then, better sprinkly you with this as you are in the Club Royale. And as he do the sprinkly, the person whips off the hat and all the Lords and Ladies in the Abbey, all dressed up to the nines, coronets etc, they all do shriek QUEEN CAMILLA!!! But it is too late, she has been ANOINTED, and long to reign over us etc. And Camilla grin in triumph. And Prince William thank his lucky stars that in the rules of the House of Windsor, it's first come, first served.

During the intervening 23 years Camilla has landed her fish so there is no need for a disguise, but the Coronation would have been more fun for the rest of us if Chaircat Midge had guessed right! :lol
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

:rofl

Ahh, the Chaircat! Much missed :hug
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The proper crown is very heavy and even the 27 year old elizabeth complained of it and she was the least complainey person. Charles is 74 and one of the most complainey. Charles and camil!a are also the oldest king and queen ever crowned so it's a worry because old peoples necks wear out. Maybe they can get a cardboard replica and secretly swap it after the ceremony because the gold coach is very uncomfortable and that plus a heavy crown they will likely be off sick and it's trooping colours soon.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

It would lighten things up with the hat with dreads wouldn't it.
The Archishop would say all the things required to crown Charles to whit Charles would reply:
"Noo prob-lem mon."
:D
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

This isn't a coronation souvenir as such but one I have had for about 20 years just waiting for it's chance to pretend to be one.
Attachments
IMG_20230502_220035.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I love it, Furby!!

:love
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Post boxes have been decorated for the coronation. In UK they are usually red but I have seen a blue aiirmail one and Olympic gold ones. The coronation ones are white with blue hat and red boot. Only in London Cardiff Edinburgh and Hillsborough in North Ireland. So too far to go and see. There are also the unofficial knitted hat ones I might see one of those if I see it before it gets stolen there was a jubilee one so I will keep a lookout there.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

:devil
coronjoke.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I love it, OC!

Oh Furby I do hope we see a postbox with a hat! I love those.

Mr Merry (nothing wrong with his wits!) cracked me up today.

Presenter on Classic FM: "I've had a letter from Anna in Norfolk, she says 'the Coronation Fruit-cake's in the oven!'
Mr Merry thunders "BEST PLACE FOR HIM, I SAY!"

:rofl

We have henceforth referred to him as The Coronation Fruitcake every time he gets a mention on tv/radio (far too often, alas)
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

We have henceforth referred to him as The Coronation Fruitcake every time he gets a mention on tv/radio (far too often, alas)
Now he is King, he is no longer allowed to be a fruitcake so no more talking to his plants or sending letters to the Prime Minister.