1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:12 am
mimosa wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:00 pm
Forsteriaana30 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:46 am

Hi, Dorkomatic. Welcome here. :wave

Reading your idea I remembered two stories which was similar to this, but without pregnancy thing. Well, sounds good and I would love to read although I don't like that Margaret would marry Mr. Bell, but it gives some drama and intrigue to this story. So that's why I would enjoy it. 😃 And I would love to try to write it, but unfortunately, I'm busy with my book writing. I agree with Tom that Merry would write this. She would do it perferct, but also Tom would make this great. I hope there will be someone who will take this and write. Fingers crossed! 😍🤞
Fossy, I'm pretty good at remembering stories or know where to look, but now my mind went blank...do you remember which ones those were again?

ME
This is one of them - https://m.fanfiction.net/s/10546999/1/ who is unfinished, but can't remember that other's title and author. Only remember that I read them both in FF.net! :up
So I found that other "Margaret married Mr. Bell" fic - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9428812/5/Different-way. It's finished. Enjoy! :up
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
QueenCorbeau

Fanfic ideas

Post by QueenCorbeau »

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but something I'd like to see would be something entirely from Hannah's POV. Could go pre-canon through canon and post, but I'd love more insight into her character. I admit to a mild obsession with her, especially as portrayed by Sinéad Cusack.
My mind is at rest for my soul she has blessed with a touch of her love.
DarkshireLass
50 Posts
50 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by DarkshireLass »

QueenCorbeau wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:30 am Not sure if this has been brought up before, but something I'd like to see would be something entirely from Hannah's POV. Could go pre-canon through canon and post, but I'd love more insight into her character. I admit to a mild obsession with her, especially as portrayed by Sinéad Cusack.
In Facing the Future I gave her an AU storyline and a romance. She was not the main POV, though. I think there have been other stories which are from Mrs T's POV, but not a whole retelling, as far as I can remember.
Dorkomatic

Fanfic ideas

Post by Dorkomatic »

So I had a couple other ideas. It isn't very fleshed out, and not quite as spicy as my last idea. The characters would be a little OOC.

Ideas # 1: A fic where Margret is the one to propose.
-AU where the mill failing never happens
- Margret's mother and father want to see her settled before they die and her father is sending her back to London whether she likes it or not and/or arranging for her to marry Mr. Lennox whether she likes it or not.
- Margret asks Mr. Thornton to do her the favor of marrying her because she is desperate not to return to London/marry Mr. Lennox. Even though they have their differences, she believes that Mr. Thornton is probably the only one who would help her.
- Mr. Thornton is SHOCKED by her unconventional proposal. Not only is it highly inappropriate for a women to propose, he had always assumed there was no possible way that Margret would ever accept his affections.
- Mr. Hale does not consent to the marriage.
-Mr. Thornton and Margaret elope.
- spicy consummation scene (in order for the elopement to be valid prior to returning home) with a virgin and nervous Margret who didn't take this aspect of the marriage into consideration at all.
- HEA

Idea number 2:
- NOT modern day AU
-Secret BDSM dom/sub relationship develops between Mr. Thornton and Margret. Very dubious consent. VERY taboo for the time.
- somehow HEA happens eventually
This one is not at all fleshed out but I think it has potential.
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by dianakc »

Dorkomatic wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:54 pm So I had a couple other ideas. It isn't very fleshed out, and not quite as spicy as my last idea. The characters would be a little OOC.

- Margret's mother and father want to see her settled before they die and her father is sending her back to London whether she likes it or not and/or arranging for her to marry Mr. Lennox whether she likes it or not.
- Margret asks Mr. Thornton to do her the favor of marrying her because she is desperate not to return to London/marry Mr. Lennox. Even though they have their differences, she believes that Mr. Thornton is probably the only one who would help her.
- Mr. Thornton is SHOCKED by her unconventional proposal. Not only is it highly inappropriate for a women to propose, he had always assumed there was no possible way that Margret would ever accept his affections.
- spicy consummation scene (in order for the elopement to be valid prior to returning home) with a virgin and nervous Margret who didn't take this aspect of the marriage into consideration at all.
- HEA

Idea number 2:
- NOT modern day AU
-Secret BDSM dom/sub relationship develops between Mr. Thornton and Margret. Very dubious consent. VERY taboo for the time.
I like the concept of the first one for sure
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Philipaholt »

dianakc wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:11 pm
Dorkomatic wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:54 pm So I had a couple other ideas. It isn't very fleshed out, and not quite as spicy as my last idea. The characters would be a little OOC.

- HEA

Idea number 2:
- NOT modern day AU
I can see you writing #1 Diana
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by dianakc »

Philipaholt wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:33 pm
dianakc wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:11 pm

- HEA

Idea number 2:
- NOT modern day AU
I can see you writing #1 Diana
Yes, maybe part way through. I'll have a think
Lothiriel84

Fanfic ideas

Post by Lothiriel84 »

So, after making a half-hearted (and quite rushed) attempted at it myself, I would love to see a proper take on the scenario in which Margaret has no relation in England who might take her in after Mr Hale's death (no Mrs Shaw nor Edith, and Mr Bell is either unable or unwilling to look after Miss Hale himself - while Frederick is of course in Spain, and it is quite impossible for him to come and fetch his sister himself). Therefore, it somehow falls on the Thorntons to care for Margaret until a suitable situation can be found for her (and therein lies the biggest issue with this scenario, for I cannot quite figure out how such a thing could be made even remotely acceptable under the social norms of the time); cue Mrs Thornton gradually softening for Miss Hale as she gets to know her better, and reluctantly finding herself in the position of having to help Margaret and John find their way back to one another.
Caesia390

Fanfic ideas

Post by Caesia390 »

Lothiriel84 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:16 pm So, after making a half-hearted (and quite rushed) attempted at it myself, I would love to see a proper take on the scenario in which Margaret has no relation in England who might take her in after Mr Hale's death (no Mrs Shaw nor Edith, and Mr Bell is either unable or unwilling to look after Miss Hale himself - while Frederick is of course in Spain, and it is quite impossible for him to come and fetch his sister himself). Therefore, it somehow falls on the Thorntons to care for Margaret until a suitable situation can be found for her (and therein lies the biggest issue with this scenario, for I cannot quite figure out how such a thing could be made even remotely acceptable under the social norms of the time); cue Mrs Thornton gradually softening for Miss Hale as she gets to know her better, and reluctantly finding herself in the position of having to help Margaret and John find their way back to one another.
I love that you went ahead and sketched this out and posted it as a one-shot!

The way I'm thinking it could make the most sense in this scenario is that Mrs. Thornton did make a promise to Mrs. Hale, so she's got to see it through. And I kind of love the idea of it being her insistence that she has to do this - gritting her teeth the whole time because she hates, hates, hates it.

In this scenario maybe she even kicks John out of the house. They can't afford to rent a new place with the mill's circumstances being what they are, and maybe he could set up a cot in his office.

But on second thought maybe they could all stay together in the house? Doesn't the main character in Wives and Daughters spend a significant amount of time living at Hamley House when the mother is ill, even with at least one of the sons there as well? So maybe in extenuating circumstances and as long as there's someone there to chaperone, it's not a big deal..? I mean, regency house parties were a whole thing - I don't know how different it would be with the tradesman class in a manufacturing city...
DarkshireLass
50 Posts
50 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by DarkshireLass »

Caesia390 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:21 am But on second thought maybe they could all stay together in the house? Doesn't the main character in Wives and Daughters spend a significant amount of time living at Hamley House when the mother is ill, even with at least one of the sons there as well? So maybe in extenuating circumstances and as long as there's someone there to chaperone, it's not a big deal..? I mean, regency house parties were a whole thing - I don't know how different it would be with the tradesman class in a manufacturing city...
Trollope, in his novels, often has people staying in houses where they might meet their love interest (or potential love interest). As long as there are lots of servants and other members of the class of the family, it was not ipso facto improper. Examples off the top of my head are Eleanor goes to stay with her sister and brother in law (the Archdeacon) in Barchester Towers while Arabin is there ( I am pretty sure), and cousin Tom, who wants to marry Lucilla stays at the house in Miss Marjoriebanks (by Margaret Oliphant) (Lucilla's father is a doctor). These are slightly later / 1860s. Then there are all the scandalous goings on in the Tenant of Wildfell Hall (set a bit earlier) with mistresses staying as house guests, but its not improper as such just that they make it so by their carrying on. And, as you say, Molly stays at Hamley Hall - the reason it is considered as a question is because the Squire has a bee in his bonnet about his sons not marrying down, and also Dr Gibson is getting her away from Mr Coxe, so does not want her in another entanglement.

We know that there are six or seven empty bedrooms (!) in Marlborough House, because John mentions it to Mr Bell when he is staying in Crampton Crescent after Mr Hale's death, and is going to remove to the Clarendon Hotel to get out of the way when Aunt Shaw arrives.

I mean, there might be gossip, although, in the actual novel, we don't see so much gossip (the main thing I remember is Mrs Slickson asking Fanny why John is going to a tutor, at the end of the dinner party, and Fanny does not know whether to be ashamed or proud of him).
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

It would be acceptable for Margaret to stay at Marlborough House as long as Mrs Thornton (or Fanny) is present - she's there as Mrs T's guest, or even paid companion. If Mrs T wasn't there, then it would be awkward. I mean, there was some room around the edges: Mr Bell can stay for a couple of days after Mr Hale died (because he's old), but it's not appropriate for him to have Margaret live with him outright without a chaperone (he's not that old.) With Molly at the Hamleys, there's a point where Mrs Hamley is getting too sick and Molly is only interacting with the men in the house - she doesn't think about it, but her father makes a decision to bring her home, because it's starting to look 'awkward'.

I think it's a great idea, Lothiriel, you should totally write it!
(she/her)
DarkshireLass
50 Posts
50 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by DarkshireLass »

DaisyNinjaGirl wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:10 am It would be acceptable for Margaret to stay at Marlborough House as long as Mrs Thornton (or Fanny) is present - she's there as Mrs T's guest, or even paid companion.
agreed, I meant to say that.
Caesia390

Fanfic ideas

Post by Caesia390 »

Oh and I wanted to add too that I like the idea of it being sort of a time crunch - Mrs. Thornton agreeing to do her duty by Margaret with the inward intention that she will ship her off to any actual relatives who might become available as soon as it can be arranged. Maybe the Shaw/Lennox family is traveling and it's taking time to reach them, rather than them being completely out of the picture. And I love them knowing full well that Margaret has a relative in Spain but there's something kind of sketchy about it and only gradually are they able to put the pieces together and get the whole truth about Frederick.

And meanwhile Margaret of course is grieving, and Mrs. Thornton is reluctantly starting to sympathize with her, and John is - whatever - hopeless and despairing and having to deal with the mill failing but Margaret being close at hand but untouchable due to the circumstances and not wanting to take advantage of her grief.

I really hope you write this fic, because I would love to read it!
Lothiriel84

Fanfic ideas

Post by Lothiriel84 »

I might give it another go, but I lack both the skill and the conviction to see a story through anything more than a one-shot (or a series of one-shots at best). It'd be awesome if some better writer ever decided to take their own spin on the idea, and flesh it out as a properly plotted multichapter.
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Lothiriel84 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:16 pm Therefore, it somehow falls on the Thorntons to care for Margaret until a suitable situation can be found for her (and therein lies the biggest issue with this scenario, for I cannot quite figure out how such a thing could be made even remotely acceptable under the social norms of the time); cue Mrs Thornton gradually softening for Miss Hale as she gets to know her better, and reluctantly finding herself in the position of having to help Margaret and John find their way back to one another.
I really like how your story came out Lothiriel! :love
(she/her)
Lothiriel84

Fanfic ideas

Post by Lothiriel84 »

Thank you! (Which reminds me, I will have to get around to replying to all the lovely comments on AO3 at some point.)