Fanfic ideas

TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by TRavine »

Oh I LOVE it!

Henry would probably be interested in Margaret...Fossy, that could be something you'd like! :smug
Gosh yeah, bring on the PTSD!! But would he be a gamekeeper then? He'd have to shoot game too. Or maybe he would just be a loner living in the woods...

Feel free to discuss, while I sit here taking notes! :D
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by impossibleusay »

Maybe he was a gamekeeper before the war and now he's struggling with the shooting aspect of his job? I don't know if they actually shoot game themselves, or just keep the estate hunting ready for the owner. Maybe they take care of the guns too? Or he could be a mechanic who takes care of the cars, or some other job that brings him onto the estate where he can run into Margaret. I can't see him as a servant or butler or valet type worker. I definitely like the idea of him being a loner, so to me gamekeeper fits. And of course he needs his own cottage away from the main house where he and Margaret can shack up! :tongue
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

TRavine wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:15 pm Henry would probably be interested in Margaret...Fossy, that could be something you'd like!
:rofl :rofl :rofl Yeah, I could like it. True. :lol Now I'm started to be very intrigue in this idea. When I first had read it, I thought that I won't be read it, but more I read your chatting about it, more I like it, especially if there also will be my lovely love triangle. :rofl So can't wait! :love
TRavine wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:25 am Margaret is a lonely rich girl, John is a (probably traumatised) post-WWI soldier who works as a gamekeeper for the Hales.
Only I haven't idea in my mind, so I believe that whenever you will think it will be good, but I like this one and with Henry in it! :lol :loveeyes
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by impossibleusay »

Ooh, I just had an idea for another scene! Disclaimer: I have not read the book and I have only seen part of a film/TV adaptation I think was made in the 80s, and that was probably over ten years ago. So I don't know anyone's names other than the titular character or anything about the plot, other than she is married to some rich dude who I think was in a wheelchair and she apparently falls in love with the hot gamekeeper.

I remember there was a scene where the lover (I don't even know what his name is, haha) shows her some baby chicks - imagine dark and dour John holding some cute little baby animal (could be chicks or something like kittens or rabbits or puppies or even lambs - anything cute!) - the stern look on his face finally softening, the stress and pain of the war held at bay for a few minutes. The way he looks at Margaret in canon, basically! Imagine Margaret seeing that softer side of John and falling in love with him that little bit more, and he in turn being enchanted by her delight in the baby animals. A nice little scene to bring them closer together! (I think the original also used this scene as fertility symbolism comparing the lover in his natural habitat to her husband who kept to the airless, dark house, or something along those lines.)
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by TRavine »

impossibleusay wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:59 pm Ooh, I just had an idea for another scene! Disclaimer: I have not read the book and I have only seen part of a film/TV adaptation I think was made in the 80s, and that was probably over ten years ago. So I don't know anyone's names other than the titular character or anything about the plot, other than she is married to some rich dude who I think was in a wheelchair and she apparently falls in love with the hot gamekeeper.

I remember there was a scene where the lover (I don't even know what his name is, haha) shows her some baby chicks - imagine dark and dour John holding some cute little baby animal (could be chicks or something like kittens or rabbits or puppies or even lambs - anything cute!) - the stern look on his face finally softening, the stress and pain of the war held at bay for a few minutes. The way he looks at Margaret in canon, basically! Imagine Margaret seeing that softer side of John and falling in love with him that little bit more, and he in turn being enchanted by her delight in the baby animals. A nice little scene to bring them closer together! (I think the original also used this scene as fertility symbolism comparing the lover in his natural habitat to her husband who kept to the airless, dark house, or something along those lines.)
Oh yes, that scene was in the new adaptation on Netflix too :love (Like I said, I only skimmed it, but I saw that one). It's got a lot of potential. Oooh, I can see this thing! Do keep the ideas coming. Anything that comes to mind, just hit me with it! The more you come up with, the cooler it will be! :D
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by merry »

I second Tom there! Keep them coming!

I love the thought of John with animals and there's a scene with horses in both my latest stories (not yet seen) which I really loved writing. One in my Christmas story.

Also someone, and to my shame I can't remember if it was Mim or Penny, who mentioned Margaret trying to win John around with lots of little touches, even while sex is a long way off on the horizon. To some extent I've used that in THatT. So thanks for that!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by impossibleusay »

merry wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:20 pm I love the thought of John with animals and there's a scene with horses in both my latest stories (not yet seen) which I really loved writing. One in my Christmas story.
Two (2) upcoming stories! :eek I'm so excited for them both!

Lots of little touches - yes please! Especially in this time period where they can't exactly walk around draped over each other or cuddle in public/in front of family and servants. Starting small is good!
PenelopePitstop

Fanfic ideas

Post by PenelopePitstop »

I think the 'small touches' could be a separate fanfic one shot in its own right. Margaret in her loneliness ends up craving John's touch. How she might contrive subconsciously situations where she might touch him, maybe making sure she us thee to serve him tea....

So glad there is some enthusiasm for Lady Chatterley's Lover mash up. Maybe Margaret gets sent to the Beresford's estate to live for a bit following death of her parents? All sorts of scenarios possible.
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

TRavine wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:35 pm
Philipaholt wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:04 pm Can this John please have a giant dog named 'Tiny' who terrifies Margaret at some point. And she gets angry about the dog's name?
:rofl Gosh yes!! Duly noted!! What kind of breed? I'm shitty at dog breeds. I can literally see John getting a cute baby pup and naming it Tiny...only to have it grow! 🤣🤣
I love the idea of a huge dog called Tiny (an oldie but a goodie.)
Newfoundlands are traditional in terms of Huge Dogs in Movies (https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/newfoundland/), but on the other hand, nothing looms like a Great Dane (https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/great-dane/)

I also love the idea people have suggested of Margaret finding excuses to casually touch John - it's such an inadvertent way for your feelings to bleed out.
(she/her)
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by impossibleusay »

PenelopePitstop wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:27 am I think the 'small touches' could be a separate fanfic one shot in its own right. Margaret in her loneliness ends up craving John's touch. How she might contrive subconsciously situations where she might touch him, maybe making sure she us thee to serve him tea....
Oh yes, I could devour a whole fic of this! Not just the physical or dreamed touching, but all the pining as well. How much of her fantasies does she dare attempt in real life? Is John confused by her new changes in behavior, or is it too subtle for him to realize why she's doing it? There could be some humor in that angle! Does he pick up on it and start coming up with reasons to touch her in return? Does this behavior go unnoticed by the Hales, Thorntons, and Milton society? Or even just an angle where it's all or mostly daydreams, until the eventual engagement or marriage where they finally get to touch at last. So many possibilities!
PenelopePitstop

Fanfic ideas

Post by PenelopePitstop »

I like how the 'small touch' idea is developing...what if Margaret starting brushing fingers with John, or maybe offering him an unexpected handshake, would that encourage John to be less angry/ resentful towards her?? (Me thinks yes!!) Maybe he wouldn't let go of her hand?? Maybe Margaret wouldn't want him to let go of her hand? Maybe it develops into a bit of a secret 'game' between them whilst John attends his lessons??
All sorts of possibilities....
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by ColleenD »

I was doing some research (yeah, right) for my current fic and I watched one of my favorite scenes in the series: Margaret and John conversing in the mill yard. One of John's lines struck me as perfect title for a fanfic "The Overbearing Master," which John confesses he "would love to play." Now it would have to be a smutty fic and I have yet to venture there (I don't even know if I could! :blush ). But I would love to read it!
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by impossibleusay »

I stumbled across this lovely video on Twitter and now I can't stop imagining Margaret and John going for a romantic walk in the snowy streets, holding hands (or at least arms), with the softest looks on both their faces :blush

Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

ColleenD wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:06 am I was doing some research (yeah, right) for my current fic and I watched one of my favorite scenes in the series: Margaret and John conversing in the mill yard. One of John's lines struck me as perfect title for a fanfic "The Overbearing Master," which John confesses he "would love to play." Now it would have to be a smutty fic and I have yet to venture there (I don't even know if I could! :blush ). But I would love to read it!

Colleen, I love this. I hope it's about your Cinderella story. Please, doing it. You can and will be alright. Just try. Ohh, it will be wonderful. Can't wait! :love :heart
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

impossibleusay wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:51 am I stumbled across this lovely video on Twitter and now I can't stop imagining Margaret and John going for a romantic walk in the snowy streets, holding hands (or at least arms), with the softest looks on both their faces :blush

Oh, yes, I love this idea too. Can imagine it too. So romantic and wonderful. Very well, Impy! :love :clap
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by impossibleusay »

The loveliest surprise today with Pippa's fic update - that romantic walk including handholding I was wishing for! :love
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Philipaholt »

impossibleusay wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:21 am The loveliest surprise today with Pippa's fic update - that romantic walk including handholding I was wishing for! :love
Were you really?? It seems I've been hitting everyone's wishlist. You, Tom, Seb/Merry.....pretend I'm doing on purpose yeah? :rofl
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Philipaholt wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:19 am Were you really?? It seems I've been hitting everyone's wishlist. You, Tom, Seb/Merry.....pretend I'm doing on purpose yeah? :rofl
It was very sweet with the 'I'm not going to have your hand on my arm - holding hands or nothing!" gesture.

I'm starting to wonder what your variety of 'Firsts' is going to be.
(she/her)
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by ColleenD »

DaisyNinjaGirl wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:16 am
Me too! :D
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Fanfic ideas

Post by Philipaholt »

Philipaholt wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:19 am Were you really?? It seems I've been hitting everyone's wishlist. You, Tom, Seb/Merry.....pretend I'm doing on purpose yeah? :rofl
It was very sweet with the 'I'm not going to have your hand on my arm - holding hands or nothing!" gesture.

ColleenD wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:18 am
Me too! :D
That's nice of you both to wonder...most of the 'firsts' are calendar based. Pretty boring. :party
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC