O Very Well - April Showers

Chat about anything and everything
OurCreature

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I can see Queen Merry plans to hold out INDEFINITELY to make Somebody Else start the April chat thread.

We have had 2 small Lottery wins in the past week - £30 a go so not much but better than a kick in the teeth.

There! I've started this month's chat thread. The things I do to keep Mrs :whip happy...................
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
OurCreature

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I read what I thought was a really good April Fool's news article last night. It was a commentary on a statement issued yesterday by Buckingham Palace declaring that King Charles III had changed the rules of succession in favour of his beloved grandson Prince Louis because he was dissatisfied with the constant squabbling of Princes William and Harry, and so decided they should both be cut out of the line of succession to the Throne. His concern about their never-ending bickering dated right back to their childhood when they used to fight for the last Werther's Original in the handbag of Her Majesty The Queen.

More recently the Princes have been quarrelling about their roles in the forthcoming Coronation. Sources claim that Prince William wanted to be in the front row in Westminster Abbey, and that Prince Harry countered by asking for seats for himself and the Duchess of Sussex in the front row, to which the King agreed. Now both Princes have demanded that they be allowed to sit on the King's lap for the ceremony.

It was all like that. It was brought to me by Google on my smartphone - it lists various news items. I think this spoof was on the MyLondon website.
eccles

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by eccles »

:lol
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Patience

200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by Patience »

I’m glad that the worst of winter is paddy and we are into spring.
Later this month, I have a weekend booked on the Isle of Bute. I had completely forgotten about it until the balance reminder came in.
The full information arrived today and I’m now looking forward to it.
One of the best bits is I can get there by 2 trains and 1 ferry. The end train station is one of the prettiest and I will need to remember to take photos.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

can see Queen Merry plans to hold out INDEFINITELY to make Somebody Else start the April chat thread.
:rofl how well this man knows me!

Did you ever get your car, Patience? sorry if I missed a post about it.

I had a busy day today and actually did some gardening, which I'll post about in the gardening topic at some point.
"I used to be a picture in a storybook. Then I escaped." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

What a lovely train station! I was going to put up a pic stolen from Streetview and then I thought no, Patience's pics will be better.

And here is Edward Lear's little ditty that mentions Bute; he wasn't so good at last line rhyming but never mind.
bute.jpg
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Patience is brave risking two trains and a ferry at Easter.
Patience

200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by Patience »

Furbs, the good news is I can always drive to the Ferry place if all is not well with the trains. Fortunately ScotRail resolved their dispute months ago. I just need to worry about Network rail or the unreliable ferrys
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

What's on the Isle of Bute anyway. One of my ancestors names was derived from there but long before any records I could find. So I have Bute in mind as somewhere with so nothing there that people leave it.

I have been getting the emergency phone alerts they are so annoying. . Do not know why I am chosen as guinea pig. The test for everyone else is 3pm on the 23rd which is a Sunday. It's so annoying and wears your battery down if you aren't near your phone at the time to press stop it buttons and even if on silent it still goes off.
Patience

200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by Patience »

@Furbs I’ll let you know what’s on Bute when I get back. I believe there’s a castle, museum and a distillery. Walks, too. I’m not so keen on those. 😜
Wildrover

200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

A look at Tripadvisor shows a wonderful country house called Mount Stuart which has one of the highest ratings I've ever seen for a stately home. It rated 4.5 which is the same rating as Blenheim Palace and Chatsworth. Amusingly the second most highly rated attraction on Bute is Rothesay's Victorian toilets!!
OurCreature

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I think my Gran and Grandpop went for a holiday in Rothesay so there must be a few nice things there or they wouldn't have gone there from Wigan. They didn't have a car so the journey to the ferry would have been by train.
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by asymphototropic »

Bute looks absolutely gorgeous, especially Scalpsie Bay wildlife. Looking forward to your pictures!

Thingummie minor and Thingummie esquire invited me along on their long weekend to Austin, Texas. I graduated from UT in 1973 [BA in Biology with honors] and had not returned since then. It has transitioned from a large university town to a sprawling large city with a decaying center [the bad news]. But a revision to the bridge at Congress Avenue in the 1980s serendipitously resulted in a perfect home for mother bats. Hundreds of thousands of free tailed bats come up from Mexico wintering to birth their summer babies under the bridge. We went on a one hour river cruise with bat expert Merlin Tuttle lecturing to a small select group of bat enthusiasts. The early spring emergence did us proud with the dusk emergence of several large columns of bats. A spectacular view, well worth the trip. Also did the 90 minute walking tour of Longhorn Cave and saw the tiny tricolor bats [which look a bit like cute little chocolate covered marshmallow creatures]. Had a wonderful time.
Patience

200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by Patience »

I also have the emergency test thingy to our mobile phones to look forward to on the way back.
I wonder how it will cope with a Nokia 3310. Or how a 3310 will cope with it! 😱
eccles

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by eccles »

@Patience, that phone of yours is bordering on vintage. It might be worth something. Good luck with it on the 23rd.
Asy, I'm envious of your bat trips. There's an old dramway (coal trucks on rails) tunnel that runs through the local nature reserve where pipestrelles and daubenton's bats reside and I've assisted with bat walks on a couple of occasions there in the past.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
dianakc
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by dianakc »

Not sure where to put this so plumped for this thread! Tied in a trip to see my manager (with post op survival pack including N&S DVD, The Jane Austen Society book and chocolate) with a trip to Queen St Mill! Thoroughly enjoyed my tour and look forward to going again if I need a bit more insight for my big fic xx
Attachments
20230406_125119.jpg
20230406_135817.jpg
OurCreature

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Those pics remind me of Quarry Bank Mill - Mum and I went round it years ago. I found the list of punishments for erring mill workers most interesting..........thanks for posting the pics, Diana.

As for Nokia phones, mine is a model 2600. It's something like 19 years old.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Queen St Mill, Diana! :love I get shivers when I see those looms lying silent. You know why...

The steam engine is wonderful too.

I didn't know you had been there, OC! It is a special place for us North and South fans, as some of it was used for 'John Thornton's factory in the BBC North and South, and some crucial scenes happened there.

Patience, Bute looks lovely.

Furby, how did you get specially selected for the Alarm Tests?! how thrilling (actually, probably not..!)

Juliet and I are off to The Burnt City on Saturday. We had train tickets booked but with little warning they have closed the entire line from Didcot to Oxford. I've spent a tiring evening trying to reroute - finally achieved - but have the process of applying for a refund on the useless ticket to come, I can't face it tonight, they say we can all have free refunds but no actual way to apply for one that I can see (just the usual way which incurs a long form and an admin fee.)

Due to the rerouting, I won't be in Chat tomorrow night (sorry folks.) Please everyone else do go! I'll be thinking of you all and back there next week.
"I used to be a picture in a storybook. Then I escaped." - Hades, The Burnt City
dianakc
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by dianakc »

OurCreature wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:35 pm Those pics remind me of Quarry Bank Mill - Mum and I went round it years ago. I found the list of punishments for erring mill workers most interesting..........thanks for posting the pics, Diana.

As for Nokia phones, mine is a model 2600. It's something like 19 years old.
I went to Quarry Bank Mill years ago! I'd forgotten. It is much more impressive size wise than Queen St Mill which was really quite small. I think I'll have a day out there again. Thanks for the reminder x
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I dont know how I got picked for beta testing of alarms one day my phone went off and I had to find out myself. It's happened several times this year. It's everyone in range of transmitters with a suitable phone so maybe my phone mast is a chosen test one. I also have a old Nokia don't know model number and that didn't go off. So if all you have is a old Nokia in an emergency will just have to die without knowing why unless can ask someone else nearby who seems to be panicking.

I have seen a working loom thing in the science museum. Seen it several times because have to walk though it to get to other parts of museum though most of the time it's just there not working. Used to have a working steam train but they cut off the museum from rail lines so it cant go far out of station now. It's free to go to science museum except some special exhibitions but in covid they brought in only if you book online first and kept that on joining the long list of things busineses always wanted to do and covid gave the excuse. The common themes are "customers go away" and "online only".