Andy Burnham fined nearly £2000 for speeding

News & Friendly Debate
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Manchester mayor Andy Burnham has been fined nearly £2000 for speeding. He was doing 78mph in a 40mph limit. His excuse was that he wasn't aware of the variable 40mph limit. Was he not aware of the general 70mph limit that he also exceeded?
He was penalised 6 points on his licence.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The financial penalty altogether was:-

Fine - £1,353
Victim Surcharge - £541
Costs - £90

Total - £1,984

Being a nosey sort of person I followed the M62 on Streetview to the junction Mr Burnham wanted to use to get on the M6. It is a smart motorway ie no hard shoulder, and on his way to the junction with the M6 (North) he would have gone under a gantry with the lights that tell you the speed limit etc and past two electronic motorway information signs (the ones on a grey pillar that have a big black screen when it has nothing to tell you) which presumably would have told him if the junction was closed. So I think he wasn't paying all that much attention to the road sign information because he thought he knew the way home.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Who is the victim in speeding? If he hit someone thats a different crime.

I don't understand speeding laws at the 70 mph limit. If that's the limit why not just ban cars with capability to drive that fast. The very small number of people who have their own lands to speed on can get permits like with guns.

Smart motorways changing rules so people can be fined are sneaky really. Like those parking signs that are hidden and purpose is to collect fines from people. Not sure why its news because speeding is not a crime to be banned from office over is it. Though Boris was forced out over breaking covid rules and being fined but there won't be the numbers to plot against Mr Burnham gm is solid labour apart from a very few areas.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I think there are regulations in the pipeline that plan to do pretty much what you are suggesting Furby where speed limits are set by the car's systems. The idea is that you can override it but it's a conscious decision. There can be occasions when you need to accelerate to avoid a potential problem.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

The speed limits on motorways in this country are utterly ridiculous - they haven't changed since 1965 despite cars being vastly improved in terms of steering and braking. The Highway Code still describes braking distance in terms of thinking and braking distance and says at 70 mph they are 70 feet and 245 feet respectively for a total of 315 feet. Various motoring organisations hae tested modern cars and in every case stopping distance is about half what the antiquated Highway Code says. In virtually all of Europe the limit is 130 kmph or 81 mph. The variable limits are a joke too - drivng back from Basingstoke yesterday there was a 50mph limit on one section of the M4 beecause of an accident that according to the radio had been cleared over an hour earlier and a second 50 mph llmit "to protect the workforce" - needless to say there wasn't a single worker in sight. That said Burnham deserves all he gets - all these nanny state restrictions were introduced by his party.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Andy burnhams always going on about buses and bikes anyway and there are a ridiculous amount of cycle lanes and bus lanes. Theres only a bus every 20 minutes and I have never seen anyone cycle in the cycle lanes so they are reducing a main a road with top pollution scores to one lane in the parts where the lanes are and whats the point if the lanes just stop where it gets trickier. So why is he driving at 78 mph when he could cycle on his cycle lanes or get a bus in a bus lane.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

He's a fully paid up member of the Hypocrisy Party. A bit like Diane Abbott, Shami Chakraborty, Emily Thornberry, etc. saying the public should not be allowed to send their children to private schools....while sending their own children to private schools.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Wikipedia has a paragraph or two about Diane Abbott's decision to send her son to City of London School at a cost of £10k a year. I mention in passing that my former English teacher at school became Headmaster of City of London school but retired in 1995, several years before James Abbott-Thompson started there. Here's what Wikipedia has to say.
Abbott's decision in 2003 to send her son to the private City of London School after criticising colleagues for sending their children to selective schools, which she herself described as "indefensible" and "intellectually incoherent", caused controversy and criticism.

According to the Daily Mirror, she said: "I'd done a lot of work on how black boys underachieve in secondary schools so I knew what a serious problem it was. I knew what could happen to my son if he was sent to the wrong school and got in with the wrong crowd. I realised they were subjected to peer pressure and when that happens it’s very hard for a mother to save her son. Once a black boy is lost to the world of gangs it's very hard to get them back and I was genuinely very fearful of what could happen."

Her son contacted a radio phone-in to say that his mother was following his own wishes: "She's not a hypocrite, she just put what I wanted first instead of what people thought," he told LBC. He added that he had wanted to go private rather than attend a local state school in Abbott's Hackney constituency.
However, this was not money well spent, despite Master James continuing his education at Cambridge University, joining the Foreign Office fast track scheme and beginning what at one time seemed to be a meteoric diplomatic career. According to the Daily Mail, he became addicted to crystal meth even before joining the Foreign Office in 2014 and in 2019 was recalled from his post in Rome. Things got worse, and between July and December 2019 he assaulted several members of the emergency services (mainly police and NHS staff) and even chased his mother around her home armed (the police think) with scissors though at the time he claimed he had a gun; Ms Abbott summoned the police but chose not to press charges later. In the end he admitted to lots of charges and at his final court hearing he was subjected to an indefinite hospital order and banned from going to the Foreign Office.

It must be very galling for Ms Abbott that despite her efforts her son went off the rails anyway.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hears.html
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

It's a difficult problem children turning out bad taking drugs isn't it. As we have seen with Prince harry obviously nothing to do with deprivation that causes it. It's probably that living in deprivation makes things harder to hide for longer so is noticed more.

Andy burnham does cycle at least there are picture stories of him cycling. He does demonstrate very well the lie about cycling. It's a hobby interest for people who have cars as well and not the answer to climate and pollution for most people to cycle in daily life. When you really need to go somewhere have to get there quickly and or carry things too big for bikes. So as a hobby it shouldn't be allowed to take over the roads making everyone else's daily lives even tougher. Bus lanes are a good idea where they are proper dedicated ones but a few hundred yards of bus lane then oh dear end of bus lane like in furbyland is a waste of space.

The government is thinking to ban those silver cannister things because is third most popular drug now. I noticed them in lockdown the park was full of them. Might have been because the litter bins were locked up for lockdown hoping people on a one hour walk would take litter home. A poor worker probably cleans them up before I have to see them now.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

It's nitrous oxide in those little canisters, better known as laughing gas - it's relatively harmless compared with other drugs and is still used as a pain killer especially by dentists. I've taken it myself when I was a medical student in an experiment to monitor the effect of various substances on respiration and it just made me feel a bit light headed (as a complete non sequitur I can testify to the fact that breathing 3% CO2 while on an exercise bike is very unpleasant). Crystal meth is a very different story - I've known a few methamphetamine users over the years and it has ended badly in every case. It's very popular not so much for the euphoria but because it puts your sex drive through the roof!
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Nitrous oxide is inhaled using balloons, so when you see the discarded silver canisters there'll be one or two balloons nearby as well. :party