North & South Bookclub

Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by Philipaholt »

Dear Millers,

I recently started reading North and South. I've not read it in so long and can I say I've been utterly blown away?

It's. So. Bloody. Good.

So now of course I want to have a serious bookclub to read and discuss it. Who would be interested and who could dedicate one or two hours a month to meet (online! Maybe on discord? No video, only audio 😉) and discuss it?

I'll warn you, I'm passionate about English literature and I want to really dig into this novel. So if you think you'd like to seriously study this with me for a few months, let me know! But of course, no pressure whatsoever. 🥰
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by TRavine »

I'm definitely in!!!
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by dianakc »

Philipaholt wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:29 pm Dear Millers,

I recently started reading North and South. I've not read it in so long and can I say I've been utterly blown away?

It's. So. Bloody. Good.

So now of course I want to have a serious bookclub to read and discuss it. Who would be interested and who could dedicate one or two hours a month to meet (online! Maybe on discord? No video, only audio 😉) and discuss it?

I'll warn you, I'm passionate about English literature and I want to really dig into this novel. So if you think you'd like to seriously study this with me for a few months, let me know! But of course, no pressure whatsoever. 🥰
I'd be interested. I've only read an abridged version many years ago so I'd like to read the full version.
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by ColleenD »

I'd love to!
ForeverAutumn1
150 Posts
150 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by ForeverAutumn1 »

Absolutely!!
🎵🌵 Humming a cactus tune...🎵🌵
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by mimosa »

ooh, that does sound fun.

I was following one on FB and they did N&S in Sept/Oct. I didn't interact that much...of course, it's more fun when you "know" the people and have created relationship.

ME
gotabingley

North & South Bookclub

Post by gotabingley »

Yes! As I get back into the fandom, I desperately need to re-read it, and this is a wonderful incentive to do so.
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by Philipaholt »

Excellent!!!

I'm thinking more towards May, as school for my children will be almost over and I'll have more time off from work. That would give everyone time to get a copy. And find a good meeting time as well.(coordinating schedules is a beast)

Is that too long a wait?
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by TRavine »

Philipaholt wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:51 pm Excellent!!!

I'm thinking more towards May, as school for my children will be almost over and I'll have more time off from work. That would give everyone time to get a copy. And find a good meeting time as well.(coordinating schedules is a beast)

Is that too long a wait?
May sounds good to me. Since I have school until the end June too, that will hopefully enable me to participate without too many extra things going on.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Is that too long a wait?
In beginning I wasn't sure if I can participate in it for time 'cuz I'm working, but in true I want be in this, so yes, I'm in and I have my N&S copy. 😃🥰 I really need to reread it again and discussing would be wonderful. I hope I can manage to speak in English very good that me could understand! :smug
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by dianakc »

Is that too long a wait?
May works for me x
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by ColleenD »

May is great! Will put it on the Do-List! :rofl
gotabingley

North & South Bookclub

Post by gotabingley »

May is great!
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

I'm tentatively interested, but I'm worried that the times that would work for me, wouldn't work for anyone else.

What a great idea!
(she/her)
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by Philipaholt »

DaisyNinjaGirl wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:43 am I'm tentatively interested, but I'm worried that the times that would work for me, wouldn't work for anyone else.

What a great idea!
Oh we should try daisy. We can try very hard
barelytolerable

North & South Bookclub

Post by barelytolerable »

It's. So. Bloody. Good.

I'd be interested depending on when! I know folks on Twitter would be too. We did one in 2021 (I think 2021? Can't remember) but everyone is always down to read it.
"He is my first olive: let me make a face while I swallow it." (Chapter 21 of N&S)

My fanfics on AO3
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by Philipaholt »

barelytolerable wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:04 pm

It's. So. Bloody. Good.

I'd be interested depending on when! I know folks on Twitter would be too. We did one in 2021 (I think 2021? Can't remember) but everyone is always down to read it.
That would be wonderful! I'll put together a list of interested parties soon!
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by Philipaholt »

Hello loves,

Moving forward with the book club, I’ve decided that Discord will be the easiest platform to hold both written and audio discussions. If you have no idea what discord is here is a quick tutorial video :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ13BA3-NR4

Once you’ve set up a free account, I’ll send you a PM with a link to the Bookclub Server. We have a few months to fool around with the platform and get acquainted with its quirks before May so enjoy! I’m already there, as well as Tom, Diana, and Fossy.

My name on discord is pippa#8735.

I’m really quite excited for this and I can’t wait to chat up all things literature with you lot. Cheers!
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

I've sent you a Discord friends request, hopefully it showed up (I don't use Discord very often).
(she/her)
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

North & South Bookclub

Post by Philipaholt »

DaisyNinjaGirl wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:42 am I've sent you a Discord friends request, hopefully it showed up (I don't use Discord very often).
It did!!