First attempt at roast potatoes

Top tips, handy hints, recipes
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by impossibleusay »

I decided it was high time to finally find out for myself what those legendary roast potatoes are all about, and oh my - where have these been all my life? I've made a few different sliced/diced potatoes baked in the oven with oil and herbs over the years, but never the true English roast potato. I am definitely going to be making these very often!

I used this recipe, and couldn't help sneaking a few here and there when it was time to turn them over!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ult ... t-potatoes

20230128_182332.jpg
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

I don't think I've really roasted potatoes. I should really try sometime. They look really yummy!

ME
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

These look delicious!! I've got to try them sometime! Thanks for sharing, Imp! 😁
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I like roast potatoes. On Sundays when N & J would come round to Mum's for Sunday Lunch Mum quite often produced roast beef, Yorkshire Puddings (she bought those and heated them up), various veggies including peas, and roast potatoes. With gravy. And quite often a baked jam sponge with custard for pud. Happy days!

Your roasties look good, Imp!
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by impossibleusay »

Definitely give them a try, Mim and Tom - the flour coating on them really makes them incredibly crispy!

OC, that sounds like a lovely meal! I've always wanted to try a real English roast dinner but have never gotten around to making all the traditional dishes. I wish we could buy Yorkshire puddings in the states to save some time. Someday I'll do it though! And a Victoria sponge too - that's also on my list of recipes to try.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Roast potatoes are one of my favourite foods in the WORLD! I'm sure you'll be making them often from now on, Impy! They look GORGEOUS!

I have the easiest recipe in the world for Victoria sponge and have won prizes with it, which I say not to boast (oh ok! just a bit of a boast then! :devil ) but more to say that this very simple method actually works: basically, weigh three eggs (for two 8 inch tins) and they will be about 4-5 oz, or 180g. Add the same weight each of sugar, self-raising flour, and baking margarine (you can use butter which tastes extra nice but you'll have to soften it, AND, the baking marge seems to give a fluffier result) and BEAT IT ALL IN ONE with an electric beater/food mixer till it's light and fluffy. You don't need to do all that one by one creaming stuff some recipes insist on. Divide into two lined round tins and bake about 18 mins at 170-180 c.

I weigh the tins with the mixture in to have the best chance of two identical sponges but this is not necessary.

Traditionally English Victoria sponge has only a thin layer of raspberry jam in the middle but adding a thick layer of whipped cream as well makes this REALLY divine. Shake some caster sugar over the top sponge.

I love VS but I'd rather have the roast potatoes!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by impossibleusay »

Ooh thanks, Merry! I am definitely going to use your recipe, it sounds so easy! And prizewinning - look at you go! :clapping Have you done a lot of competitions?
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Yes lots :) but they are very local little things. Very typically English, a summer Village Flower and Produce Show. People bring in their biggest turnip, best dahlia, etc. And ladies (and men) bake cakes and buns and bread and sausage rolls and exhibit them.

Not up to Bake-Off standard by a country mile :D
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
impossibleusay
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by impossibleusay »

That is so cool, Merry! We have similar in the US at the county fairs - baking, crafts, gardening, livestock, etc - it's always torture to look at all the delicious looking foods but not get to taste any of them. How to become a baking judge!

I do like to bake myself on occasion though I have never entered any competitions - cookies, cupcakes, muffins, etc. I've been trying my hand at bread most recently and still struggle there - for some reason, all my yeast rolls always spread out to be super flat instead of rising upwards nicely. Still tasty, just not cookbook pretty!