Radio Drama Adaptation

barelytolerable

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by barelytolerable »

Hi! I wanted to make sure y'all had the link to the North & South BBC Radio Drama from this past September. Here is a link to episode 1:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001brj0

It's a three part drama, each episode about an hour long. They made some interesting adaptation choices, some of which I absolutely loved (because what they change is very fanfic-esq) and some I did not love (because it was unlike the characters). Overall, I really enjoyed listening to it.

Someone mentioned to me that Radio 4 typically keeps the dramas up for a year before taking them down, so definitely have a listen before it's gone.
Last edited by barelytolerable on Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He is my first olive: let me make a face while I swallow it." (Chapter 21 of N&S)

My fanfics on AO3
DaisyNinjaGirl
200 Posts
200 Posts

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Thanks, I'll have a listen!
FMN49

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by FMN49 »

barelytolerable wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:06 am Hi! I wanted to make sure y'all had the link to the North & South BBC Radio Drama from this past September.

Thank you for this- I didn't know this was a thing. :clap :clapping :loveeyes
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by TRavine »

Oooh! Thank you so much!! 😊😊
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
mimosa
300 Posts
300 Posts

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by mimosa »

barelytolerable wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:06 am Hi! I wanted to make sure y'all had the link to the North & South BBC Radio Drama from this past September. Here is a link to episode 1:

It's a three part drama, each episode about an hour long. They made some interesting adaptation choices, some of which I absolutely loved (because what they change is very fanfic-esq) and some I did not love (because it was unlike the characters). Overall, I really enjoyed listening to it.

Someone mentioned to me that Radio 4 typically keeps the dramas up for a year before taking them down, so definitely have a listen before it's gone.

I just listened to it all. Just stopped my life for it...lol. I agree with you about the adaptation choices, some I liked, and some I didn't. Some scenes I thought they'd do they didn't and vice versa.

The one adaptation I really did not like was that in this one John made a speculation. I guess there's creative permission, sort of like when some fanfic authors take creative license in their stories...but it somehow seems wrong to me when it becomes a performance (radio or movie)...but that' just my opinion, and I don't even have a reason for it...lol.

But I have to admit that I loved John Thornton (James Cartwright)'s voice...I feel they made a good choice there. I kept thinking that Margaret Hale's voice was like [the old] Anne of Green Gables (Megan Follows)'s voice.

Anyway...gotta get to "work" and do something useful.

ME
barelytolerable

Radio Drama Adaptation

mimosa wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:48 pm
barelytolerable wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:06 am Hi! I wanted to make sure y'all had the link to the North & South BBC Radio Drama from this past September. Here is a link to episode 1:

I just listened to it all. Just stopped my life for it...lol. I agree with you about the adaptation choices, some I liked, and some I didn't. Some scenes I thought they'd do they didn't and vice versa.

The one adaptation I really did not like was that in this one John made a speculation. I guess there's creative permission, sort of like when some fanfic authors take creative license in their stories...but it somehow seems wrong to me when it becomes a performance (radio or movie)...but that' just my opinion, and I don't even have a reason for it...lol.

But I have to admit that I loved John Thornton (James Cartwright)'s voice...I feel they made a good choice there. I kept thinking that Margaret Hale's voice was like [the old] Anne of Green Gables (Megan Follows)'s voice.

ME
The speculation is the part that absolutely SHOCKED me. I'm ok with adaptation choices being made, but this seemed to be counter a fundamental part of Mr. Thornton's character. And, I don't think they justified the change within this adaptation anyway. Like it didn't make sense at all even with their version of the character.

The part where she goes and sees the mill is a fun change that gives them more time together and I love that, though. so yeah, some things I like and some things I definitely didn't.
"He is my first olive: let me make a face while I swallow it." (Chapter 21 of N&S)

My fanfics on AO3
mimosa
300 Posts
300 Posts

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by mimosa »

barelytolerable wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:09 pm

The one adaptation I really did not like was that in this one John made a speculation. I guess there's creative permission, sort of like when some fanfic authors take creative license in their stories...but it somehow seems wrong to me when it becomes a performance (radio or movie)...but that's just my opinion, and I don't even have a reason for it...lol.

ME
The speculation is the part that absolutely SHOCKED me. I'm ok with adaptation choices being made, but this seemed to be counter a fundamental part of Mr. Thornton's character. And, I don't think they justified the change within this adaptation anyway. Like it didn't make sense at all even with their version of the character.

The part where she goes and sees the mill is a fun change that gives them more time together and I love that, though. so yeah, some things I like and some things I definitely didn't.
I actually had to listen again...I was like "Wait?! WHAT?!" listened again and said, "What the heck?! you're kidding me!" Except for that part, I thought it was well-done. Making a radio adaptation is so different, I think. We have to hear it all, but as if we're watching it.

ME
ForeverAutumn1

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by ForeverAutumn1 »

barelytolerable wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:09 pm

ME

Yes, what was up with that?? I finished it today, they made some interesting choices, most of which I understood, but I could not figure out why they would have John make the speculation. I kind of liked how they made John and Margaret less antagonistic upon meeting. And was it just me, or did Mrs. Hale’s doctor sound just adorable, I wanted more of him. :love
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by Philipaholt »

Overall I really enjoyed this. But goodness...the storytelling choices were... interesting. Maybe I'm more picky and critical since I've made it my business to write my own version of this story.

The one thing I cannot bloody swallow is the SPECULATION. I'm sorry but hell no. No bloody way. Other than that, (and missing Fanny and Mary!) I thought it was well done.
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by merry »

The one thing I cannot bloody swallow is the SPECULATION. I'm sorry but hell no. No bloody way.
I feel exactly the same :( it's just so fundamental to John and to the STORY that he would never do such a thing. What were they thinking?

Thank you, barelytolerable. Really appreciate that you posted about this, as I'd not have known about it otherwise :hugs
"We see the storm on the horizon and draw in our sails." - Elizabeth Gaskell
mimosa
300 Posts
300 Posts

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by mimosa »

Philipaholt wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:17 pm Overall I really enjoyed this. But goodness...the storytelling choices were... interesting. Maybe I'm more picky and critical since I've made it my business to write my own version of this story.

The one thing I cannot bloody swallow is the SPECULATION. I'm sorry but hell no. No bloody way. Other than that, (and missing Fanny and Mary!) I thought it was well done.
Right?! The speculation was integral to the story.

I missed Fanny and Mary as well...it felt incomplete that way. (On one hand I kept thinking about Tom's FtA with regard to Mrs T, Fanny, and Fred, but his wasn't a BBC production (although....the story is good enough to be...); on the other hand...it was necessary for them to be in, because there were pieces missing in the story.)

ME
barelytolerable

Radio Drama Adaptation

Philipaholt wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:17 pm Overall I really enjoyed this. But goodness...the storytelling choices were... interesting. Maybe I'm more picky and critical since I've made it my business to write my own version of this story.

I know!!!!! I gasped and went back and listened again to make sure I heard right because I could just not believe it. I don’t think it’s overly critical to think they altered something fundamental to his character.

Also the dinner at the end- Henry, John, and Margaret- I absolutely love the funny painting that paints. I imagine Henry sitting in the middle and John and Margaret leaning towards one another over the table as they try to talk to each other lol.

My fanfics on AO3
ForeverAutumn1

Radio Drama Adaptation

Post by ForeverAutumn1 »

barelytolerable wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:03 pm
Also the dinner at the end- Henry, John, and Margaret- I absolutely love the funny painting that paints. I imagine Henry sitting in the middle and John and Margaret leaning towards one another over the table as they try to talk to each other lol.
Yes! As soon as Henry said he’d invited Mr. Thornton to dinner I thought, oh this is going to be GOOD- poor Henry. He really was pretty sympathetic in this one. :cry