Tough 2 (22 Jan)

merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Tough 2 (22 Jan)

Post by merry »

What links:

9 Waugh and Gardner in 1928; Lautner and Dome in 2022?

10 Heseltine; Prescott; Clegg; Raab; Coffey; Raab again?

11 Ciambella; Bundt; Gugelhupf; Savarin?

12 Ariane Matiakh; Marin Alsop; Alice Farnham; JoAnn Falletta?

13 Schadenfreude; malice; vagabond; congous?

14 Juventus; New York Times; Florence Nightingale; okra?

15 NCR (Canada); NCT (India); ACT (Australia); DC (US)?
"We see the storm on the horizon and draw in our sails." - Elizabeth Gaskell
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Tough 2 (22 Jan)

Post by Furby »

10 deputy prime ministers of UK. They never got to actually do anything depityish as far as I remember. When Boris was at death's door Mr raab was the closest but i can't remember anything he did that week.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Tough 2 (22 Jan)

Post by OurCreature »

:p Furby beat me to it today. Still, I can do one of the other qs.

15 NCR (Canada); NCT (India); ACT (Australia); DC (US)? Initials of the capital territories of these countries. ACT is Australian Capital Territory, and DC refers to the District of Columbia as in Washington DC. I think the NC in the other 2 countries refers to National Capital - maybe National Capital Region for Canada which is Ottawa, and National Capital Territory for India which is the Lutyens-planned New Delhi.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
DaisyNinjaGirl
200 Posts
200 Posts

Tough 2 (22 Jan)

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

OurCreature wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:25 am :p Furby beat me to it today. Still, I can do one of the other qs.

15 NCR (Canada); NCT (India); ACT (Australia); DC (US)? Initials of the capital territories of these countries. ACT is Australian Capital Territory, and DC refers to the District of Columbia as in Washington DC. I think the NC in the other 2 countries refers to National Capital - maybe National Capital Region for Canada which is Ottawa, and National Capital Territory for India which is the Lutyens-planned New Delhi.
Australian Capital Territory and Washington DC also don't have full rights of states. Is it possible that the other two have separate legal status as well?

13 Schadenfreude; malice; vagabond; congous?
Schadenfreude and malice are both words around wishing ill on someone, not sure how that would map to the others, though.

This week's questions are really tough!
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Tough 2 (22 Jan)

Post by Furby »

It's the first question I knew in a while. Most times I don't even know the question let alone the answer. Can we get more Xmas type questions for small children I knew most of them.
Wildrover

100 Posts
100 Posts

Tough 2 (22 Jan)

Post by Wildrover »

9. Taylor Lautner who was in the BBC series Cuckoo and once dated Taylor Swift got married last year to another woman also called Taylor who took his last name so Taylor Lautner is married to..... Taylor Lautner. I'd guess Evelyn Waugh married a woman called Evelyn Gardner who became Evelyn Waugh.
13. I think this is one you either see immediately or you don't see at all. All the words have an African country contained in the word - Chad, Mali, Gabon and Congo
14. Nicknames containng Lady. Juventus is the Old Lady, Florence was the Lady with the Lamp and okra is Lady's Fingers. Don't know the New York Times nickname.
For #12, Marin Alsop was the first woman to conduct at the Last Night of the Proms a few years ago but I don't know any of the others or what they were first to do...
Patience

100 Posts
100 Posts

Tough 2 (22 Jan)

Post by Patience »

Isn’t New York Times also the Grey Lady?
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Tough 2 (22 Jan)

Post by merry »

Well done all! They were super tough this week! 6/7

9 Married couples with same first name: Evelyn; Taylor.
10 Deputy prime ministers.
11 Ring-shaped cakes. - this is the only question I could answer (predictably :lol)
12 Conductors.
13 Hidden African countries: Chad; Mali; Gabon; Congo.
14 Lady nicknames: Old Lady; Gray Lady; Lady with the lamp; lady’s fingers.
15 Capital regions: National Capital Region (Ottawa); National Capital Territory (of Delhi/New Delhi); Australian Capital Territory (Canberra); District of Columbia (Washington).
"We see the storm on the horizon and draw in our sails." - Elizabeth Gaskell