Caterpillar Cake

Top tips, handy hints, recipes
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Caterpillar Cake

Post by mimosa »

Hey!

My friend was asking about something his daughter discovered on some weird facts YT thing that discussed a caterpillar cake for birthdays. I told him I would ask some British friends about this. Tell me about it. Add links etc, if you can, but I want to hear it from you instead of Google.

TIA!

ME
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Caterpillar Cake

Post by Furby »

We had caterpillar cake wars here. It is a chocolate log cake decorated with sweets for eyes and spots on its back.

Marks and Spencers which is a shop selling things for quite well off people had a colin the caterpillar cake and then Aldi which is a german shop who make blatant copies of branded goods for cheaper prices sold Cuthbert the caterpillar. Marks and Spencers sued Aldi for copyrights but it got settled in secret and now every shop has their own caterpillar cake with names beginning with c.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-24285600
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Caterpillar Cake

Post by mimosa »

This is fascinating.

I wish we had known about this when my FIL was alive His name was Colin, and he was pretty British.

I might have to find a recipe so that we can try it out for his birthday in October. But I'm Canadian, so it's not like I can just buy one. And a recipe might be a "pants full of work" to make...hmmm.

ME
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Caterpillar Cake

Post by merry »

Mimosa, you have to check out this topic from our old board! I think it was one of our best ever topics! Furby has done a great resume, but that topic will tell you everything you need to know about Caterpillar Cake Wars... two pages of hilarity. With pictures!

(remember you have to log in to view it)

Can Colin and Cuthbert be besties?

The Nude Cuthbert really cracks me up...
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Caterpillar Cake

Post by Furby »

You could just buy the "nude" caterpillar which is a chocolate Swiss roll and then stick the sweets on to make the face and coat.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Caterpillar Cake

Post by mimosa »

Oh my word, I missed this entirely... I'll check it out soon.

ME
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Caterpillar Cake

Post by merry »

Yes do, mim - I think you'll like it :) it is a darling topic!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Caterpillar Cake

Post by merry »

Just bumping this because we were talking about it in Chat tonight.

They did actually have to make a Caterpillar Cake in this year's Bake-off.... with varying results... it was VERY hard, especially cutting the sponge to get the ridges.