Why is your handle your handle?

DaisyNinjaGirl
200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

So... while some of us have internet handles that appear to be our real names, a bunch of us don't, and I'm a bit curious about the stories behind them.

For me, DaisyNinjaGirl was given by my sister, back in the Olden Times when LiveJournal was where the Cool People (TM) hung out. I had my real name as my handle, but I'd used a picture of some daisies as my user icon (because it's my favourite flower.) The daisies had a slightly dark background, and my sister had set the colour for my LJ account to black, and she started referring to me as 'daisyninjagirl' when talking to other people. (It took me a few weeks to twig that she meant me. ;-) )
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

This is a clever topic. I was curious about your handle.

Mine is boring. It's a pen name I made up almost 14 years ago. But I think it suits me, yeah?
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Forsteriaana30
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

Good idea for topic, Daisy. Well, Forsteriaana isn't my pen name. I just found it in one story and I like it, so that's why use it. It's mean nothing. In true I need a pen name, 'cuz I still have a plan to write and publish books in Amazon Kindle (which not N&S). My real name is so latvian (country where I live is Latvia) that won't fit for pen name, so I need something english and I have first name and it's Evelyn (yes, Tom, from that story 😁). About this name is long story, but in short I like it very much. Just need to figure out last name, but nothing come to my mind. If you, Daisy, or you, guys, have an ideas, please, share it here or in PM. I'll be very happy about your help! :blush :up
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

Lovely topic! You're.... not really.... Daisy?

:sob

I was named by a fanfic friend back in Ye Olden Times, we were both obsessed with weird music and there was this one piece which she decided suited me and my off-the-wall stories.

Sebastian

It really is the most beautiful song, so worth a listen if you didn't the last 18 times I posted the link :rofl - all the way to the end - big finish!
Radiate simply, the candle is burning, so low for me
Generate me limply, can't seem to place your name, cherie
To rearrange all these thoughts in a moment is suicide
Come to a strange place, we'll talk over old times we never smile
Somebody called me Sebastian
Work out a rhyme, toss me the time, lay me, you're mine
And we all know, oh yeah!
Your Persian eyes sparkle; your lips, ruby blue, never speak a sound
And you, oh so gay, with Parisian demands, you can run-around
And your view of society screws up my mind like you'll never know
Lead me away, come inside, see my mind in kaleidoscope
Mangle my mind, love me sublime, do it in style,
So we all know, oh yeah!
You're not gonna run, babe, we only just begun, babe, to compromise
Slagged in a Bowery saloon, love's a story we'll serialize
Pale angel face; green eye-shadow, the glitter is outasight
No courtesan could begin to decipher your beam of light
Somebody called me Sebastian....
I was just 'Sebastian' in those days, but found that had been taken by someone when I came to register on AO3 last year. Possibly by me in a former life ;)
"We see the storm on the horizon and draw in our sails." - Elizabeth Gaskell
Patience

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Patience »

Oooo. Lovely topic. My name comes from an old internet provider I had. I was with virgin and I was thinking of a fairly unique user name. I suddenly thought. Oooo Patience is a Virtue at Virgin and my email address was formed!
DaisyNinjaGirl
200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Forsteriaana30 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:29 pm Good idea for topic, Daisy. Well, Forsteriaana isn't my pen name. I just found it in one story and I like it, so that's why use it. It's mean nothing. In true I need a pen name, 'cuz I still have a plan to write and publish books in Amazon Kindle (which not N&S). My real name is so latvian (country where I live is Latvia) that won't fit for pen name, so I need something english and I have first name and it's Evelyn (yes, Tom, from that story 😁). About this name is long story, but in short I like it very much. Just need to figure out last name, but nothing come to my mind. If you, Daisy, or you, guys, have an ideas, please, share it here or in PM. I'll be very happy about your help! :blush :up
Gosh, I'd just assumed Forsteriaana was a Latvian name. And that Pippa was using her real name. This is really interesting!

I'm listening to your song, Merry, it's really strange and compelling.
merry wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:22 pm Lovely topic! You're.... not really.... Daisy?
In fact, I am not. I like having a separating between work and hobby identities, especially when the latter can include smut. ;-)
DaisyNinjaGirl
200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Patience wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:36 pm Oooo. Lovely topic. My name comes from an old internet provider I had. I was with virgin and I was thinking of a fairly unique user name. I suddenly thought. Oooo Patience is a Virtue at Virgin and my email address was formed!
Good joke. ;-)
Forsteriaana30
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

DaisyNinjaGirl wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:21 pm Gosh, I'd just assumed Forsteriaana was a Latvian name. And that Pippa was using her real name. This is really interesting!
Daisy, my real name is Liga Brutane, for your information. Forsteriaana is a nickname. So now you, and others, see why I need pen name. I just need to figure out last name, 'cuz I have first name. :up But glad you're interesting in this! 😁
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

Gosh, I'd just assumed Forsteriaana was a Latvian name. And that Pippa was using her real name. This is really interesting!

I'm listening to your song, Merry, it's really strange and compelling.
merry wrote: ↑Lovely topic! You're.... not really.... Daisy?
In fact, I am not. I like having a separating between work and hobby identities, especially when the latter can include smut. ;-)
Alas, it's not my real name. For similar reasons as you. Separate life/work identities. But I've been Pippa online so long, it sort of **is** me in a weird way.
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

DaisyNinjaGirl is such a cool name and a great story to go with it. Even if I meet Daisy, and find out she is really 'Ethel' (my dear nan's name) she will always be Daisy to me.
'm listening to your song, Merry, it's really strange and compelling.
Thank you for listening to it! :hugs

Same with Philipa, and if she weren't Philipa (lover of horses, though I don't think she particularly is? :D then she couldn''t be Pippa, Pipkin, Pippy, and Pips. All of which are sweet names for a lovely person.

Patience is a Virtue :D Good work, Patience.

Liga is a pretty name! Fossy takes less time to type than Forsteriaana and I don't misspell it :D

I've slipped over to 'merry' IRL where I can. Because I like it and don't like my real name. I would get funny looks if I insisted on Sebastian I suspect.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

I was very uncreative. TRavine - well the T. stands for Tom, which is my actual name (it's Thomas, but no one really calls me that, except for my dad). Ravine is the literal English translation of my unpronouncable Old Bavarian last name. :D
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
ComicLitChick

Post by ComicLitChick »

Because I love reading, art, literature and live in that world, both professionally as well as in my private life. IDK, it sort of makes sense to me anyway.
381867DE-022E-48EF-BE76-754F59484DA2.jpeg
FYI—reading comics can wrap art and literature together beautifully. Depending on what one likes of course.
❄️
Oh, forgot to say I’m lousy as being anonymous. Most of my socials, like instagram, FB, twitter are my real name and tumblr, twitter are NFComics. So fairly easy to find because employees got me started in the whole mess. 😄
ForeverAutumn1

Post by ForeverAutumn1 »

What a fun topic! It's so interesting to read about everyone's name "origin stories".

Mine is just something I came up with last minute when I needed a screen name, from a song I like. It was mentioned in another thread somewhere, Forever Autumn sung by Justin Hayward. My dad raised me on the Moody Blues so it fit. :)
ColleenD
200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

I am one of those boring people. Colleen is actually my name and D is the first letter of my last name {yawn}.
DaisyNinjaGirl
200 Posts
200 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

ForeverAutumn1 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:03 pm Mine is just something I came up with last minute when I needed a screen name, from a song I like. It was mentioned in another thread somewhere, Forever Autumn sung by Justin Hayward. My dad raised me on the Moody Blues so it fit. :)
I love that song. I was raised on The War of the Worlds rather than Moody Blues, and didn't realise Justin Hayward was in both until a friend told me.

Did you ever see The Hunting of the Snark concert? Hayward does a brilliant love song in it. Here's a clip:
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

ComicLitChick wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:27 pm Because I love reading, art, literature and live in that world, both professionally as well as in my private life. IDK, it sort of makes sense to me anyway. 381867DE-022E-48EF-BE76-754F59484DA2.jpeg
FYI—reading comics can wrap art and literature together beautifully. Depending on what one likes of course.
❄️
Oh, forgot to say I’m lousy as being anonymous. Most of my socials, like instagram, FB, twitter are my real name and tumblr, twitter are NFComics. So fairly easy to find because employees got me started in the whole mess. 😄
Do you love Austenland?!? Because I absolutely love Austenland
mimosa
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by mimosa »

My husband calls me Mimosa; sometimes he says mimosa maravillosa. Mimoso refers to someone or something that is affectionate and loving...and since I'm female, it is mimosa. Almost like sweetheart.

For a few years, he has bought me all manner of mimosa items...from mimosa mix to a poster with the mimosa recipe to books with mimosa in the title, mimosa oil, body spray and massage oil with mimosa on the label. (He's such a sweetheart.)

Mimosa is an alcoholic drink, a plant/tree, and a yellow colour (probably because of the flowers of the plant). So mimosa yellow is one of my favourite colours. (That's why I tried to use yellow as my colour in the chat, but you can barely read it on a beige screen, so it has to be this orange colour.)

I started using it here and there as a quick name where I didn't want my real name. But you can imagine what my initials are since I sign all my messages (except comments on AO3).

But there's this little joke that when I got married, I went from Michelle Peters to Peter's Michelle...so now you know what my first name is (and my husband's, for that matter).

But here I'm Mim or mimosa...

ME
Last edited by mimosa on Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

mimosa wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:09 am My husband calls me Mimosa; sometimes he says mimosa maravillosa. Mimoso refers to someone or something that is affectionate and loving...and since I'm female, it is mimosa. Almost like sweetheart.

For a few years, he has bought me all manner of mimosa items...from mimosa mix to a poster with the mimosa recipe to books with mimosa in the title, mimosa oil, body spray and massage oil with mimosa on the label. (He's such a sweetheart.)

Mimosa is an alcoholic drinks, a plant/tree, and a yellow colour (probably because of the flowers of the plant). So mimosa yellow is one of my favourite colours. (That's why I tried to use yellow as my colour in the chat, but you can barely read it on a beige screen, so it has to be this orange colour.)

I started using it as here and there as a quick name where I didn't want my real name. But you can imagine what my initials are since I sign all my messages (except comments on AO3).

But there's this little joke that when I got married, I went from Michelle Peters to Peter's Michelle...so now you know what my first name is (and my husband's, for that matter).

But here I'm Mim or mimosa...

ME
That. Is. The. Sweetest. Thing.
MrBingleysMama

Post by MrBingleysMama »

I already posted the story behind my handle in the welcome chat, but I will provide some background for my dogs name. We went to the pound looking for a dog to name Darcy or Mr Darcy but the dog we had in mind wasn’t available so my sister brought home a different one.
When I first met my baby, I instantly fell in love but I knew we could never call him Darcy because he was simply too sweet. So I told my sister we would call him Mr Bingley instead. Because he is sweet and kind and not always the brightest crayon in the box. Lol.
Attachments
F8A44031-7B42-4806-868B-4AE6B040280E.jpeg
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

Awww he is ADORABLE!!!!!!
mimosa maravillosa.
Mimosa, what a lovely story. Your house is so full of love it makes me happy. :kissy