Rishi Sunak priorities

contentious or thought-provoking issues
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by Furby »

Over on the old forum we had a list of Theresa Mays priorities and she kept adding new ones while not achieving old ones but we did notice.

I have checked back and all these years later they are all still unsolved priorities really.
They were
1. Brexit means brexit
2. The just about managings (people not on benefits but still poor)
3. Housing (after Grenfell but also in general)
4. Stamp out harassment
5. universities are too dear
6. Social care costs
7. Gender pay gap
8. Syria
9. Windrush unintended Id consequences and Id requirements for everyone else without one.
10. Plastic
11. Trains
12. Shops shutting down
13. NHS
And never stated by her but noticed here on hard facts - to stay in power

Rishi Sunak has a shorter list so far (my comments in brackets)
1. Halve inflation (this means prices will only go up 6% still more than most wages are rising and private pensions are fixed at 3 or 5 so it's not really that good a target and bank of England has 2% target anyway is this being increased because half inflation is a year of bank apology letters needed)
2. Grow the economy (how we do this when many don't have enough for essentials and even the better off are using up savings)
3. Reduce debt (assumes we have no more crisis to subsidise going forward having spent up on covid and wars and energy)
4. Cut hospital waiting lists ( unless we can reduce numbers admitted as emergencies can this even start happening. Unless the plan is people die from untreated emergency so are crossed off lists)
5. Stop migrant boats (its always tough to deal with people already outlaws by making new laws because they just don't obey the new laws either and the law and most lawyers are on the side of outlaws in general the boat people is just one example of that)
Patience

100 Posts
100 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by Patience »

Absolute nonsense from Sunak. I have no belief they will or are in any way competent to carry out these “aims”. Some, like inflation, are due to happen without any Government help. A bit like me saying that but this time next year I will be a year older. It will happen, unless….
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by OurCreature »

I'm inclined to agree with Furby and Patience. As was pointed out on the News/Press Preview on Sky News last night, most of what Dishy Rishy listed as things he will do per Furby will/should happen anyway like reduced inflation and I think the real test is how well is the UK doing compared with countries with similar economies. You won't be told that little fact in most of the newspapers unless things go horribly wrong with those countries. I haven't read his aims, just what Furby says they are and what I gleaned from Sky News last night but I'm sure that when you get to the detail he'll have left plenty of wriggle room in case things don't go according to his wish list.

At least Mr Sunak noticed that all is not well with the NHS - I understand that the other day he thought there wasn't a crisis there at all. The families of people who die while waiting for an ambulance might not agree with him. I must confess that when I saw he wanted to be judged on the reduction of NHS waiting lists I wondered whether it would be achieved by fiddling the statistics or simply hoping that loads of people waiting for treatment die off and reduce the lists that way.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Rishi Sunak priorities

Post by eccles »

Although the UK is in a mess, it is by no means exceptional compared to others in Europe. This is what media sources such as the BBC omit, that the UK's economic performance is about average when compared to others, and for the last two years or so, was well above average. Most of our ills are due to past measures or those beyond our control. They are:

The huge deficit caused by shutting down the country in the mistaken belief that it would save lives and the NHS. Well, the NHS is in crisis and the UK's record with covid deaths is no better than others. When the restrictions were lifted the pent up demand as people cashed in on the government's generous measures such as the furlough schemes were inevitably responsible for an inflationary spike. But many other countries also shut their economies down. With the exception of Germany the larger EU nations have similar or greater per-capita national debt levels than the UK. Furthermore, at a time when spending should be reined in, the ECB is still pumping vast amounts into the Eurozone and is projected to continue this until well into next year. Italy and Germany are at odds with EU interest rates with a precarious balance held. German banks are teetering on the edge.

The Ukraine war and subsequent energy crisis. The government can do quite a bit here but there's no short term fix. If we want to cut Russia out of the energy supply business we will have to pay more until we can become more self sufficient in energy production and use. Once the extra costs fix into the system then inflation will go down without the government doing anything because inflation is only calculated on a year-by-year basis. As already suggested the aim to get inflation down to where it is likely to end up anyway isn't much of a target. The UK is well placed for imports of liquified natural gas, so much so that it is currently re-exporting some of it to the EU, but its storage capacity and hence its ability to weather short-term shocks is poor.

Brexit. There has been a small impact but I believe many commentators are conflating its real effect with other causes. The small businesses that have suffered from the extra paperwork have had little impact on the overall economy, and larger businesses have coped pretty well.

Where the government has fallen down is a laggardly response to Brexit opportunities. The legislation to revoke or revise EU rules is progressing through parliament now when this should have been started two years ago. EU food tariffs should have been thrown out at the same time. Abandoning EU laws on so-called grey imports is another no-brainer. We really don't need to be protecting the EU.