January - no blues allowed! first Chatty thread of 2023

Chat about anything and everything
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I've not much to say but thought we should have one for the first day of the New Year....
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Happy New Year, peeps!

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that we are a bunch of such lovely people. I am grateful for this place and for all of you, and I greatly enjoy all of our conversations. This is so much better than Facebook or any other social media platform. It's much more personal and I genuinely like all of you so much!

So thanks for letting me be here and for this wonderful community!
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

I tried to like Facebook, but I never could get on with it. Twitter has its uses, but not for creating a community. None of the platforms can compete with a simple forum for that in my opinion.

This is a nice board - fast and easy to use and we're proud of that, but it's the people using it to post and make friends that make it special.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

And thanks to you Panikos and to Merry for another year of making it all happen. As we all know the board would not continue without you.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Seconded!
th-47133998.jpg
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
babs

Post by babs »

...thirded! :D Thank you from this wanderer too and a Happy New Year to one and all :wave
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Babs! :hugs specially lovely to see our very dear Babs, who flits in and out like a Mirrie Dancer :cuddle

Thank you so much, Wildrover, that was a lovely thing to say - Eccs too - as Panikos said, this board is its members - Tom, you are very welcome, as are all our new lovely members, and thank you for your many contributions around the board - especially the Yodels :lol
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

merry wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:06 pm Tom, you are very welcome, as are all our new lovely members, and thank you for your many contributions around the board - especially the Yodels :lol
There's more where that came from, Merry! 🤣
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Happy New Year. This is such a lovely safe and non judgmental place, whatever we share. Although if someone announces they are setting up home with Richard Armitage, that might change. 😜

I’ve been back at work since Monday. The holidays have been very long this year and the weather so rubbish I’d had enough. I did spend an hour or so each day going through my emails and have reached inbox 0 which is such a relief. I find that they hang like a sword of Damacles over me.

This month there are a couple of exciting things (imho) happening. The first is delivery of my “new” car on Monday. It’s another Hyundai i30. This time it’s automatic and has a higher spec. Alas it’s a 19 plate and much older than I would have liked. However after my last 2 cars being delivery mileage pre-registered, these bargains aren’t around at the moment. I started looking in October and it has taken a while. I’m also taking a leap of faith as the car is in Maidstone and I’ve not seen it. 😱 Bizarrely, the car appeared on Cinch the day after I decided to buy it so I phoned the dealers and asked about delivery. They could not provide it at an economical cost and make a profit, so Cinch it is! The price they offered for my old car was more than I expected, so we’ll see if they change their mind and when they get it. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I really hope not. They have the mileage, can access the MOT history and a month or so back I had the alloys refurbished and the bodywork touched up.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

For Patience.
arm.jpg
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

A friend of mine was offered a very good price for her car recently (2012 Corsa). She declined as she'd only have to go and buy another, but hers and Patience's story shows that when new car sales are down then second hand is more sought after.
Was your car automatic by choice, Patience, or just happenstance?
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Eccs, I wanted an automatic and a good spec of i30. They were like hen’s teeth. The offer for my car was about £1,500 more than some of the other sites were offering.
asymphototropic

50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by asymphototropic »

Hi guys, Happy New Year.
I'm off to San Diego for a week, first thing tomorrow morning. Tremendously stormy at the moment, which is good news for the aquifer, but makes the flight in to Lindbergh Field a bit iffy. Watching the crazy storm weather rather more closely than usual.

Hope this itinerary goes pretty much according to plan.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I looked at the prices of second-hand cars and their general lack of charm compared to Fizzy, so I decided to hang on to Fizzy, even though he spectacularly failed his MOT and ran up a £997 repair bill :rolleyes

Lovely RA montage, OC!

Asy! have a wonderful time! I don't envy you the iffy flight in high winds :eek
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

It was one I found on the internet, Merry - not my own work, I fear!
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Asy, I hope you have a safe trip.
OC, thank you for the montage.
Merry, you love your Fizzy, but he/she/they/it needs a good talking to!
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Safe journey, Asy!
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Yes, he's a Very Naughty Car - now I'm picturing Basil Fawlty belabouring Fizzy with a tree branch :rofl

Chat tonight folks - I missed it last week due to illness - but I'll be there tonight!
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

LOL. Had to post this.
latest-390394251.jpg
I hope Fizzy can now motor on for many years after that eye-watering bill.

From what I remember, Basil's car, the Austin 1100, had a similar problem to that of the Mini, in that the distributor was situated low down in the engine space and in front of the engine. This meant that in wet weather it could easily become saturated from splashes. You will notice that the weather in the above photo was wet, although I wonder if the progamme makers actually paid that sort of attention to detail.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

I have sorted out my insurance and breakdown cover and looked out the logbook, so I am now sorted for The Delivery! 😁

Argos came and picked up the Keter Store it Out Ultra that was missing a part. It was quite an important part - the back.
As everything is online it was very tiresome. The website says to contact Keter if there is anything wrong. Keter advised they don’t have that spare part and don’t know when it will be in stock. Back to Argos and a chat bot 😢. There didn’t seem to be the option of a replacement, just a return. The good news is I have already received an email advising that they have credited by CC. That should be through in about x weeks 😜