January - no blues allowed! first Chatty thread of 2023

Chat about anything and everything
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

As everything is online it was very tiresome.
It is and gradually they have closed down call options and email so now it's the bloody BOT all the time.

Looking forward to a pic of New Car, Patience!

Love that pic, OC! that's exactly what i had in mind! :rofl
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Love that pic, OC! that's exactly what i had in mind!
OC? :huh
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

I am so sorry, Eccles!!!

Sackcloth and ashes going on !

I won't edit my post - or it will make yours nonsense - I will leave my shame there for all to see!

*kills self*

:oops

;)
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Well, after a lovely Christmas snuggle-in, time to get out into the real world again... I'm going to help Juliet with the HHs today... she has promised me 'double poo-picking' :halo :rolleyes
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

No problem Merry. Double poo duty is more than enough penance. :D Was it muddy?
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Patience wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:37 am This month there are a couple of exciting things (imho) happening. The first is delivery of my “new” car on Monday. It’s another Hyundai i30. This time it’s automatic and has a higher spec.
Well…..
The car was due yesterday between 12 and 2.
Around 8:40 I got a call to say the car wouldn’t be with me today as it was damaged 😱😡 during transport. The back bumper needs repair which they have booked for next week and will contact me to rearrange delivery when it has been completed and the rear parking sensors have been tested. They also confirmed they would reimburse me any expense (with receipts) I incurred because of the delay.

Of course, I am disappointed and v annoyed. I have asked for photos of the damage. It could be a minor scratch, it could be a big dent.

Just before lockdown, a van went into the back of my car. It was low speed and the car was away getting repaired for weeks. When I took my car into the body shop to get scratches repaired, it was away for nearly a week. I expect it will be around a fortnight before I hear back.

I will think about asking someone to take a thorough look at it. As it has been >18 years since I bought a second hand car and would value any advice on this.
Wildrover

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

The single most important thing is that it comes with a guarantee, even if only for 3 months, as any residual problem will almost certainly come to light during that period. If there's no guarantee then I'd insist on one given the damage. Unless someone has gone into the back of it with real force (in which case there could be suspension damage) it's unlikely there's any lasting damage to anything other than the bumper, parking sensors and lights all of which are easy fixes. After all the bumper is designed to prevent damage to the car.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I know nothing about cars but sounds like a scam to me. If they said buy this damaged car you would say no thank you but if they say oh dear it was damaged in delivery you still buy it as too late.

Whatever the truth I hope patience new car tale has a happy ending. Can't live without cars in scotland was told by relatives who lived there. Though people obviously managed in the olden days when all my relatives lived there but they did live near to boats in those days.

It keeps raining so I can't even go out my front door this week but I suppose that reduces covid and flu chances. I have to try and ring a gutter man now which is always a trial. No one ever seems to want to do any work these days.

I have made myself a Wensleydale and cranberry pizza for breakfast with leftover Xmas cheese.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I got an appointment for next Monday afternoon so that's not too bad. Wouls prefer sooner in case fabrics of bricks get damaged but could be worse and of course they havent actually turned up yet.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Good luck Patience and Furby with getting what needs mended done on time.

Yesterday I had a letter from HCC - not in an envelope, just the letter - pushed through my letter box; it hadn't come via Royal Mail. It said that they were coming today to do carriageway patching works in our close and that there would be no vehicular access to our close today between 08:00 and 16:00, and that we would be informed if the date of these weather-dependent works changed. That meant that I wouldn't be able to go to Knightwood today, so I phoned them to let them know.

After giving Them their second wet food feed of the day 2 hours ago, I went up the end of the path to see if anything was happening. Not a sign of any works at all. Oh joy, thought I.

I shall go to KW tomorrow morning, assuming I can get the car out of our close, and if I can't get out or get back in when I come home I shall write a letter of complaint to the Director of Economy, Transport and Environment (a posh way of saying County Surveyor and County Planning Officer after they merged the depts before I retired). Cross that bridge if I come to it. I shall have another look later this afternoon - they have asked for the road by No 18 near the garages (not my garage block) to be kept clear so I know where they are supposed to be working.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

No one ever seems to want to do any work these days.
That is so true. I'm tired of ringing people up to get the little jobs done and they never get back to you. :(

Oh Patience, I'm so sorry! That must have taken the shine of your excitement :( I do hope it all gets sorted out.

My bad little car Fizzy is also giving me a headache. Drove it home a week ago from his VERY EXPENSIVE FIX and remarked to myself how lovely and smooth it was, how willing, how lively! :love How I'd made the right decision not to send it for scrap and start again.

Try to start it yesterday and it's completely DEAD :eek Now obviously it's not good to have left it a week without starting it, BUT, I do this all the time. Often I don't start it for one or two weeks and it always leaps happily into life. So this seems like an amazing coincidence to me that it's just after it came back from the garage so I'm wondering if it's NOT the battery; anyway, I shall know soon enough as it's on charge now. The worst thing about it is we needed to move it off the drive (because we were loading the other two cars for a tip trip) and you can't even STEER it with no engine power, so we ended up pushing and leaning and edging it very awkardly all skewiff into the garage just about in far enough to close the door .behind it :( Fortunately Fizzy is the size of a medium rollerskate so it didn't have to go in TOO far.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Did the battery charge work? If it worked but does it again then maybe it's time to replace the battery.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

Here are the photos of the damage
Attachments
82EAB7F4-08A1-4BAE-B8F7-998D81E95FFD.jpeg
882EDBD5-EE5A-43DE-96EB-A402ECD4B9FF.jpeg
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Oh, what a nuisance. Oh well, it looks superficial to me. i.e. no dent in the boot itself so should be a seamless replacement. It's a shame the bumper has actually split as otherwise it might have been repairable.
I backed into a waste bin in a car park once. The bin was substantial and anchored securely to the ground. I dented my plastic bumper but it didn't break. I took it to a body shop who managed to apply heat to it and pull the dent right out. A lick of paint and it was as good as new. It still is, many years later.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I will not be in chat this evening.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I had two really nice surprises when I arrived at Park Road to visit the old gentleman earlier this afternoon.

The first surprise was the card and small package I was given when I arrived. They turned out to be from one of the old gentleman's daughters and her husband - a card to say thankyou for visiting him, and a small box of Ferrero Collection - best before halfway through March 2023 so those won't hang about. She obviously can read me like a book! :)

The second surprise was the fact that the old gentleman was up and dressed and sitting in his special chair - and alert. In fact he looked the best I have seen him since I started to visit him 18 months ago, and I told him so. We spent a really lovely 45 minutes together, and he talked quite a lot which was very good. He's unrecognisable from how he was 18 months ago, and his daughters must be very pleased with his progress.

So I departed happy.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

That is heart-warming OC.

I had a senior moment this morning.

I had an eye appointment at the Bristol Eye Hospital this morning. It was for 9:45am so using the Diamond travel card was cutting it fine as it can only be used from 9am. There is a bus stop 200 yards from my home but its route into the city is tortuous, taking over an hour. It is quicker to drive down the A4174 ring road to Brislington and catch the park and ride service from there. I prepared well, was fed and watered before 8am, checked for traffic on Google Maps - jams on the A4174 ring road so made extra allowance plus an addition 10 minutes to deice the windscreen. Phone, mask, appointment letter all checked. Into the car to the Park and Ride. I hit the jams immediately on the ring road allowing single lane traffic only but once at the Hicks Gate roundabout I used a little dodge, you can slip into the nearside lane, take the lane inside the Brislington one and slip into the Park and Ride come bus lane avoiding the jams on the A4. Parked up around 8:50am for a gentle stroll to catch the 9am bus.

then.. where's my bloody wallet with the travelcard in it?

It's on the PC desk at home, that's where it is. :bang

Oh gosh, says I, what a silly billy I am ( If you really think I said that you are very kind).

A mad dash back up the ring road - fortunately the jams were only one way - back home, pick up the wallet the time says 9:10am or thereabouts.

Phoned the hospital and was told we allow up to 20 minutes (take note WR, sometimes it works in the patient's favour) for late arrival. She said she'd tack a note to my appointment details saying I'd be delayed (I didn't tell her I'd cocked it up).
Back down the ring road where rush hour traffic had now eased off considerably, a bus was almost ready to leave while the driver had a quick smoke before setting off. 20 minutes later, a brisk walk from the Horsefair across the Bear Pit and to the hospital at 10:05 bang on 20 minutes late. The booking screen accepted my entry. I had scraped in with the finest of margins.

Everything else went pretty much as clockwork and after field test, cornea check, retina scan and photo, pressure test, I was delivered good to go for another year and ok to drive.

I was back home by 12:30. Strikes? What strikes?
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

WD Eccs - as George Formby used to say, 'turned out nice again!'
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Well done to Eccles for saving his own day.

Being standed without a wallet and ticket is a worry and one of reaosns I don't like going places. Though locally I can just travel for free on metrolink trams and pay the fine later so could get home that way.

It's snowing today but my gutters got cleaned of weeds so I can go out the door next time it rains. The workman turned up a time he wasn't booked for but I was in so it worked out well. I still haven't been able to phone the gas and am thinking whether to sign up for a phone package to afford the calls but then the phone people will want to change things and not let me keep my internet as is so I have avoided so far. Phones are being compulsory changed soon to electric phones only (just in time for the predicted regular power cuts brilliant) so was waiting out for that but if on the phone for over an hour at a time it's going to be a very dear do at 25p a minute.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Well done Furby on getting her gutters done. Was it Gary Gutter or Gutter McGutface that did them?

I don't have a home phone any more, relying on mobile for all communications. I use Smarty for the phone: no contract, no price rises for a year minimum, unlimited calls and texts and 4GB data allowance, cost £4 a month. I use wi-fi for things like app updates so rarely use more than about a gig of data.