Chatty thread for non-N&S topics - anything and everything!

AnnabellaGrace
100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by AnnabellaGrace »

MyWatchBegins wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:38 am
Off Topic
Hiya, I was just wondering how excited we all are for some Armitage awesomeness on Thursday? Anyone planning on watching Obsession?

It's a Thursday, but not Thornton - so I guess this post goes here, unless you consider Richard the ultimate, one and only broody mill master for ever and ever. I do. :loveeyes
Sorry for bringing smut right after the Easter thread.
I watched it and wished I had not. I will leave it at that.
AnnabellaGrace
100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by AnnabellaGrace »

ForeverAutumn1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:24 am
ColleenD wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:16 pm This is what was said as regards my Outlander fic "I'm Sent to Fetch Ye" Ch2: "Well, this one fanfic is well researched, grammatically correct and intriguing. Shall read it till the last."

It is possible the person was serious but it sure sounds facetious to me (why would someone compliment me on my grammar?)

So how could he/she have said it nicely?
Of course I don't know for sure, but to me that comes off as sincere. There are a lot of fanfics out there with poor grammar, no research or accuracy - I think they're just trying to say (in a weird way) it's a quality fic and it's worth a reader's time. I think it's actually a not very well-worded compliment. :)
I concur with FA. I think the reader meant to compliment you. You are such a talented writer, and I always love your stories.
Vandraren
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by Vandraren »

AnnabellaGrace wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:49 am
ForeverAutumn1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:24 am
ColleenD wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:16 pm This is what was said as regards my Outlander fic "I'm Sent to Fetch Ye" Ch2: "Well, this one fanfic is well researched, grammatically correct and intriguing. Shall read it till the last."

It is possible the person was serious but it sure sounds facetious to me (why would someone compliment me on my grammar?)

So how could he/she have said it nicely?
Of course I don't know for sure, but to me that comes off as sincere. There are a lot of fanfics out there with poor grammar, no research or accuracy - I think they're just trying to say (in a weird way) it's a quality fic and it's worth a reader's time. I think it's actually a not very well-worded compliment. :)
I concur with FA. I think the reader meant to compliment you. You are such a talented writer, and I always love your stories.
I hope I get the quoting-thing right now, still a bit new here. But I agree with the other two above. Where I come from people can be quite blunt at times, almost rude-sounding when they are just trying to say something positive or neutral. It works in my language, but translated into English it doesn't sound very nice. I kinda had to unlearn that when starting to comment on stories, because I quickly realized that I could come across as insensitive at times. Also, some people simply are very artless in their feedback, I mean direct and without any big words. And you are a fantastic and talented writer, I could not agree less with that! :)
Run mad as often as you choose, but do not faint. ~Jane Austen
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

AnnabellaGrace wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:44 am
MyWatchBegins wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:38 am
Off Topic
Hiya, I was just wondering how excited we all are for some Armitage awesomeness on Thursday? Anyone planning on watching Obsession?

It's a Thursday, but not Thornton - so I guess this post goes here, unless you consider Richard the ultimate, one and only broody mill master for ever and ever. I do. :loveeyes
Sorry for bringing smut right after the Easter thread.
I watched it and wished I had not. I will leave it at that.

Oh Annabella, I’m sorry. **Hugs**
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
AnnabellaGrace
100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by AnnabellaGrace »

Thank you, if you like erotic thrillers, then you might like it. I think his character in the movie is so deeply flawed, and I just could not find him likeable at all.

I do love RA, but because I loved him so much as the kind of man John Thornton was, it was hard to watch him in such as different type of role. I am a huge Sanditon fan, and I feel the same way about Ben Lloyd-Hughes. His role in Stranger in my Bed was so disturbing, but I loved him as Alexander Colbourne.
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

AnnabellaGrace wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:31 pm Thank you, if you like erotic thrillers, then you might like it. I think his character in the movie is so deeply flawed, and I just could not find him likeable at all.

I do love RA, but because I loved him so much as the kind of man John Thornton was, it was hard to watch him in such as different type of role. I am a huge Sanditon fan, and I feel the same way about Ben Lloyd-Hughes. His role in Stranger in my Bed was so disturbing, but I loved him as Alexander Colbourne.
How I understand you, Annabella. I felt and thought the same when I saw Obsession trailer and some gifs from another movie in which RA was filmed before N&S (it's something similar like there too). I like RA and love him in John Thornton role, but saw him in this and that another movie was something awful and disturbing. Also I don't like thrillers. You know that I'm romantic and I love romantic movies and series much better, especially period. The same about BLH. I didn't saw Stranger in our Bed, but after what I read about his role there and saw some pics and videos, I understand that's also not for me and won't be watch it. He also are so much bad boys roles, but I love him as Alexander Colbourne and so hope very much to see him more in romantic roles (especially in period) in future and that he won't be doing the same what RA - all time filming only in thrillers and take so serious and bad roles. Fingers crossed about it. So I'm with you, Annabella, in this! :up :hug
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

AnnabellaGrace wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:31 pm Thank you, if you like erotic thrillers, then you might like it. I think his character in the movie is so deeply flawed, and I just could not find him likeable at all.

I’m definitely not a fan of erotic thrillers. Too much for this old woman;)
AnnabellaGrace
100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by AnnabellaGrace »

Philipaholt wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:24 pm

Be care there about talking about old women. :rofl You know I am a grandma.
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

AnnabellaGrace wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:32 am

fair enough. My soul is old. Except when it's not
AnnabellaGrace
100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by AnnabellaGrace »

Philipaholt wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:59 pm
AnnabellaGrace wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:32 am

fair enough. My soul is old. Except when it's not
My little Selena is my heart. I cannot tell you what being a grandma is. It is the most amazing love!
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Post by dianakc »

Not sure where this goes, but especially for merry, here is my Austrian curd cheesecake c/o Mary Berry (with an extra biscuit base)
Attachments
20230505_190600.jpg
20230505_185950.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Oh Di, that looks delicious.

A baked cheesecake is much more of a lovely thing than a non-baked one (though those can be lovely in their own right.)

I am (genuinely) feeling really hungry looking at that!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

WOW! My whole page one was red alerted with new posts this morning (except the pinned posts). I am going to be in shock if I ever find the second pages has one or a few red threads. Wouldn't that ever be cool?

ME
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

mimosa wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:54 pm WOW! My whole page one was red alerted with new posts this morning (except the pinned posts). I am going to be in shock if I ever find the second pages has one or a few red threads. Wouldn't that ever be cool?

ME
We tried hard :) I'm trying to think of new topics to revive this forum a bit, but I'm so uncreative XD If anyone comes up with new cool stuff we can talk about, post away.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Awww, Mim and Tom! :hugs :hug

It was a lovely surprise to see so many posts today!

Vandaren too has done some great ones today!
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

merry wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:50 pm Awww, Mim and Tom! :hugs :hug

It was a lovely surprise to see so many posts today!

Vandaren too has done some great ones today!
We decided tha our lovely mill needs a bit of a boost. 😄
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Here's something truly off-topic...

Here is a chart that Mr. Mim (P) made today about the forest fires...

2014 Northwest Territories
2015 Saskatchewan
2016 Ft. McMurray, AB
2017 - 2018 B.C.
2019 AB and others
2020 dead
2021 ON MB BC
2022 boring
2023 AB, now SK, now Quebec

(QC just had 106 new fires from lightening strikes in the past two days...they only have enough staff to service 30, but most of it is in the middle of nowhere.)

ME
Attachments
burnarea_chart_10yr.png
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

That is a heck of a lot of fires...
(she/her)
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Tom and I saw this display of gorgeous singing, dancing cactuses in Oxford... i was sooooo tempted to buy one!

For you, Autumn!

cactus.jpg
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Oh - lots more Tom visits merry pics in the topic called Tom and merry do the Cotswolds! ^^^ somewhere in the forum called Travellers' Tales