Chatty thread for non-N&S topics - anything and everything!

TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

merry wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:48 pm Tom and I saw this display of gorgeous singing, dancing cactuses in Oxford... i was sooooo tempted to buy one!

For you, Autumn!

cactus.jpg
They were absolutely adorable!! ❤️❤️❤️
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

merry wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:48 pm Tom and I saw this display of gorgeous singing, dancing cactuses in Oxford... i was sooooo tempted to buy one!
I think you should have bought it Tom. For the Mill.
(she/her)
ForeverAutumn1
150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by ForeverAutumn1 »

For you, Autumn!

AHHHHHHH!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! :love :love 🌵🌵
🎵🌵 Humming a cactus tune...🎵🌵
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

For you, Autumn!

cactus.jpg
OMG. I don't know how you resisted. I would've bought one.
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

It was Tom and Juliet's fault!!

I looked from side to side and saw two No faces 😥
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Our Tom is meeting Di and Magda today! I hope it all happens as planned!

He is going to Helmshore where Hollin Bank Mill is. I looked up Helmshore and found this
One of the new mill owners who contributed to this expansion was William John Porritt (1820-1896), who was born in Ramsbottom. Porritt worked as a young man at Dearden Clough Mill as a hand-loom weaver and eventually became a cotton merchant. By the standards of the day the Porritts were considered to be good employers.
These are exactly the right dates for our John :heart - some other similarities there too!

Helmshore looks like an amazingly interesting place, especially for us Mill-lovers... I can't wait to hear their trip report.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

merry wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:11 am Our Tom is meeting Di and Magda today! I hope it all happens as planned!

He is going to Helmshore where Hollin Bank Mill is. I looked up Helmshore and found this
One of the new mill owners who contributed to this expansion was William John Porritt (1820-1896), who was born in Ramsbottom. Porritt worked as a young man at Dearden Clough Mill as a hand-loom weaver and eventually became a cotton merchant. By the standards of the day the Porritts were considered to be good employers.
These are exactly the right dates for our John :heart - some other similarities there too!

Helmshore looks like an amazingly interesting place, especially for us Mill-lovers... I can't wait to hear their trip report.
Oh how lovely! I'm so glad so many Millers are actually able to meet irl! Cash and I need to step on it. We're only 5 hours apart at this point....
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

I couldn't get on the forum from my phone, so this is what I sent everyone on discord:

This happened last night (Sunday):

Well, people... I'm in the hospital because of a near drowning incident with Silas.
Silas doesn't do pools...but we believe his ball fell in, and he got his own step stool to fetch it, and it floated away so that he fell in. Reuben happened to see him when he looked out of the bathroom window. He pulled him out of the pool and my sister and I started resuscitation. Fire and EMS were on scene very shortly after.. Silas is here for observation till later today. So terrifying...even if we were mostly outwardly calm.
It was scary. Initially I thought I had to bury a third child. He looked like he was gone.
I'm trying not to think too hard on the distress he was in while it happened. Too morbid and appalling...but...I'm going there. Probably part of the mom guilt.
If Reuben hadn't looked out the window....
We've been given mercy.

Four of my kids went to camp to volunteer in various capacities with adults with disabilities and Lizzy went to a girls camp. So I only have three kids at home.

UPDATE: He came home just after 6 this evening. He is being his normal self...so no extra brain damage so far. We'll see. His heart rate came back quickly after my sister's chest compressions and his breathing after my breathing twice and letting him get rid of water. The chest x-ray was good, the bloodwork was good, he tolerated his feeds, etc, and he slept a lot from the time it happened to this morning. We'll have a follow-up with his doctor later this week. Silas's dr has admitting privileges since he has a lot of medically fragile kids. He's also a teaching doctor. So he and his dr partner take turns making the rounds early every morning to see "their kids", and they come every evening to see their kids.

Anyway, there it is.

ME
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

What an absolutely terrifying thing to happen for both Silas but also you and your entire family.

I am so glad that he seems to be alright. You are such a loving and dedicated mother, Mim. Honestly, with so many kids and homeschooling and having had children with medical needs...I often wonder how you do it all. It will be okay. I'm so glad he's home. ❤️
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Oh mim!

How absolutely terrifying. You must be exhausted. :hugs

I'm so glad Reuben saw him in time!
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

mimosa wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:55 am I couldn't get on the forum from my phone, so this is what I sent everyone on discord:

Well, people... I'm in the hospital because of a near drowning incident with Silas.
Silas doesn't do pools...but we believe his ball fell in, and he got his own step stool to fetch it, and it floated away so that he fell in. Reuben happened to see him when he looked out of the bathroom window. He pulled him out of the pool and my sister and I started resuscitation. Fire and EMS were on scene very shortly after.. Silas is here for observation till later today. So terrifying...even if we were mostly outwardly calm.
It was scary. Initially I thought I had to bury a third child. He looked like he was gone.
I'm trying not to think too hard on the distress he was in while it happened. Too morbid and appalling...but...I'm going there. Probably part of the mom guilt.
We've been given mercy.

Four of my kids went to camp to volunteer in various capacities with adults with disabilities and Lizzy went to a girls camp. So I only have three kids at home.

UPDATE: He came home just after 6 this evening. He is being his normal self...so no extra brain damage so far. We'll see. His heart rate came back quickly after my sister's chest compressions and his breathing after my breathing twice and letting him get rid of water. The chest x-ray was good, the bloodwork was good, he tolerated his feeds, etc, and he slept a lot from the time it happened to this morning. We'll have a follow-up with his doctor later this week. Silas's dr has admitting privileges since he has a lot of medically fragile kids. He's also a teaching doctor. So he and his dr partner take turns making the rounds early every morning to see "their kids", and they come every evening to see their kids.

Anyway, there it is.

ME
MIM. You dear dear woman. I'm so sorry this happened. God bless your other son. I'm glad he was seen and pulled out so soon. Praying for you all.
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

mimosa wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:55 am I couldn't get on the forum from my phone, so this is what I sent everyone on discord:

We've been given mercy.

Anyway, there it is.

ME
OMG, Mim! Hugs :grouphug :hug
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

We've been given mercy.

Anyway, there it is.

ME
UPDATE:

We went to the dr for follow-up today, and he was blown away at the whole situation...that Silas recovered so well only due to Reuben's noticing/response, and Mel's and my quick response and resuscitation. Although, I have to say, that if Mel had not been there, I might not have had presence of mind that he needed compressions. Even the dr said that the outcome might not have been the same had we had to wait for EMS.
I went to fire station last night with the blanket they forgot along with a couple of freshly baked bread. The Sunday night team wasn't on, so last night's guys might freeze one or both of the loaves.

ME
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

mimosa wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:33 pm

We've been given mercy.

Anyway, there it is.

ME
UPDATE:

We went to the dr for follow-up today, and he was blown away at the whole situation...that Silas recovered so well only due to Reuben's noticing/response, and Mel's and my quick response and resuscitation. Although, I have to say, that if Mel had not been there, I might not have had presence of mind that he needed compressions. Even the dr said that the outcome might not have been the same had we had to wait for EMS.
I went to fire station last night with the blanket they forgot along with a couple of freshly baked bread. The Sunday night team wasn't on, so last night's guys might freeze one or both of the loaves.

ME
MIM. I'm holding you in my heart. I love you. God bless you.
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

Mim :hugs

Freshly baked bread. What a lovely thing to do.
SHBirds

Post by SHBirds »

I was on a short trip the other week and then had been rather insanely busy the last one, so I'm just catching up with this last page or two...
We've been given mercy.
Gosh, mimosa, what a harrowing experience for you all! What a mightmare for a parent. Thank goodness it looks like he's come through it without any permanent after effects from the accident, but still... :grouphug
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

I hope you had a lovely trip, Birdie. Happy to.see you back! 😊
SHBirds

Post by SHBirds »

TRavine wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:11 am I hope you had a lovely trip, Birdie. Happy to.see you back! 😊
Thank you, Tom! It's nice to be back here. But there's just so much to catch up on...

I was in Maastricht for a few days which is, basically, just around the corner from my neck of the woods, and it was indeed lovely. I like visiting the Netherlands; they are so laid back there and it's always a good place to practice speaking some English.

Are you still on your trip in the UK? What places have you seen so far? ... and iirc you've been meeting other Millers! How lovely!
anywhereis
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by anywhereis »

Hey, everyone! Just thinking about sharing my first-time solo trip :wave

I went to Hong Kong about two weeks ago. I went there because I got a free round-trip ticket from HK's national airline (to boost their tourism post-Covid, I think). They gave away thousands of free tickets across Southeast Asian countries, and I was one of the lucky ones.

I had a great time, also I got to celebrate my birthday there (which was on Margaret Monday 🌼) and now I'm happily back home to get a (proper) first job 🌝
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

anywhereis wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:30 pm Hey, everyone! Just thinking about sharing my first-time solo trip :wave

I went to Hong Kong about two weeks ago. I went there because I got a free round-trip ticket from HK's national airline (to boost their tourism post-Covid, I think). They gave away thousands of free tickets across Southeast Asian countries, and I was one of the lucky ones.

I had a great time, also I got to celebrate my birthday there (which was on Margaret Monday 🌼) and now I'm happily back home to get a (proper) first job 🌝
Oh what a fun opportunity. I've never really traveled alone. I went to Oklahoma once for a funeral....but I suppose it will have to do. What was the best part about Hong Kong?