Chatty thread for non-N&S topics - anything and everything!

mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

MyWatchBegins wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:21 am
Maybe I am just jaded or cynical.

But what if you genuinely want to help someone improve their writing? How would you put it?

Don't worry. I won't be quitting anytime soon. Trust me (as some of you well know) I have been hit with a lot worse comments than this one! LOL!
I am Romanian, so definitely jaded and cynical. Our response to anything is to take offence first, think later :tongue

I am with you, Colleen, I think it was a catty comment.

I'm not sure you could help someone improve their writing, either in content or execution, not unless there is an existing rapport between you, a friendship.
Then you can just say it, phrasing it like 'maybe you could try...-' or something along those lines. Or 'I liked it, but couldn't help noticing ... maybe you'd want to read this or that passage again'.

That said, you should definitely NOT listen to anything I say. I come from a very non-pc country, people are direct and just say what they mean, no bush is ever beaten around and nobody takes offence. Friends are expected to give you the hard truths straight up, it's a sign of affection.
And Roxana, that is how I exactly how I edit.

I didn't see the comment as being offensive, although, I do agree with Daisy that it was clumsy. I almost feel like it was something I might do, with good intentions. And yes, Colleen, there really was that mess in the comment section of one of your stories once...ouch. But yes, a comment from "out there" should maybe not happen at all. It does raise the hackles...like someone else telling your kid off or something (if that's something you'd rather not have happen).

And Daisy, yes, lol, that's very sweet....that is how I do it, because I didn't want to be offensive. LOL that you brought it up because, I think it's actually scary to do tell someone they made a mistake. But I could be wrong; and I've done that too, thankfully with someone I knew, but it was done in the "mimosa way" as Daisy described and as a PM, not in public.
Although, I would send it in a personal email if I could. I also think that there was to be some rapport between the author and the person noticing the issue...at least that would be preferable. I wouldn't do it to someone I don't know, I thnk.

I also notice plenty of issues, but I don't comment on them or even message people often...I guess it depends on the issue, who it is, and if it worth gently mentioning and if they'd want to know. Sometimes, it's gotta be left alone. I will sometimes ask myself if the author wants to know if they've made a mistake (or possibly made one) or if I should leave it. But if you ever want to know, let me know, and I will gently tell you in a pm, even in an amusing way as well.

(Oh, and editing eyes can be obnoxious and frustrating...just so you know...I notice things everywhere now....but realize that I'll screw up my own emails with a once over or twice over and miss many things...and I'll edit every time I come back or I'll notice it when it's been quoted elsewhere...wah...)

My more-than-2-cents... :oops

ME
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

mimosa wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:31 pm But if you ever want to know, let me know, and I will gently tell you in a pm, even in an amusing way as well.

(Oh, and editing eyes can be obnoxious and frustrating...just so you know...I notice things everywhere now....but realize that I'll screw up my own emails with a once over or twice over and miss many things...and I'll edit every time I come back or I'll notice it when it's been quoted elsewhere...wah...)

My more-than-2-cents... :oops

ME
Thanks, Mim! Please, if you see any errors in my stories let me know. Part of my motivation in writing fanfic is to improve my writing skills, so constructive criticism helps.

I know what you mean about the editing and re-editing and still missing things. Whenever I go back and read my older stuff I have taken to viewing them in edit mode so I can fix the inevitable errors I will find. LOL!

Colleen
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Post by dianakc »

MyWatchBegins wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:57 pm I had to film my TV, because laptops no longer have a DVD slot, for some reason. Needless to say the quality is low.
The video that nobody asked for:

It's almost exactly 20 years ago.
Loved the crowns!!! This was lovely to watch ❤️
MyWatchBegins
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by MyWatchBegins »

[/quote]
[/quote]
Church provides those, and these were the biggest I have ever seen, before or since. They're usually more like a circlet. I hated them, video quality is bad, they were half a meter tall.
Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

mimosa wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:16 pm
dianakc wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:46 pm This is really for mim. On the chat last week we mentioned playing the organ. I said that my son's best friend plays the organ in 3 local churches and mim was interested to see him play. Well it took some doing but my son put a clip of Harry (age 18) playing the organ on YouTube so you can see. To be fair, once he sits down you can only see the organ 🤣
Aw, thanks! I just turned on my youtube to check it out. Is it a pipe organ or an electronic one? I'm just curious. I think it's amazing when a young person can play something like an organ...it's such a dying instrument these days. And churches don't even really want them anymore because they tend to use worship teams now.

Thanks, again, Diana!! I appreciate the effort, and tell Harry and your son thanks as well. I appreciate that a lot.

ME
WARNING! ORGAN SPAMMING

Do what you like with this post....look at it, watch the links or skip and scroll, whatever you like.

When we were discussing organ playing (since that's what has been making me leave the Miller chat on a Saturday), we talked about sharing a video. Some mentioned uploading to youtube, but I was clueless, so this morning, my eldest explained to me (very vaguely) that I could upload videos to youtube if I had a gmail account...all righty then. Here goes.

Sorry...we were chatting the other day about organ playing and that there was this young 17 yo from a visiting school band for a mass band concert, and this guy is insane. No music except the psalm book in front of him, he looks around, and he makes it all up himself. That is truly a gift. Anyway...here is the link just watch him. Well...the first eight minutes is his best music, but you can't see him...but at about the 8 minute or thereabouts you can watch him look around as the elders come in. You can also see him at the 1H, 3 minute mark, I think...cant totally remember. You can choose to watch just enough to get the gist of what I was trying to explain.

This is my Easter service (we are a Protestant church) with my husband and son who play trumpet. I have given you minutes and hour marks so that you can skip to those parts specifically.
The preservice playing you can hear, and you can see my crew as well. Starting to play can get rather rough and doesn't go as great as I'd like, so just skip to the specifics. Or skip to and listen to all the music in the service if you like.
At 14 minutes, 12 seconds till about 17 minutes 22 seconds, we are playing the pre-service. There is a lady with special needs clapping after the service...she must have loved it.
At 1 hour 4 minutes, 35-ish seconds there is v 1 to Christ the Lord is Risen Today...Mr Mim and Asher are playing trumpet with me...they don't play for vs 2 and 3, but they come in for vs 4, where Mr Mim pulls some cool stuff...1 hour, 7 minutes, 12 seconds and goes till 8 minutes. At 1 hour 15 minutes is the collection song, and you can see me and the pipe organ and P and Asher playing. And we play afterwards as well.

Then here are just some of the practice things I've done...when I was practicing a request from my BIL and a hymn I wanted to pull out the stops out for. (I found my Largo one too, but that really IS rough.) Often I'll film and time it because collection takes 1:20 - 1: 45 depending on how full the church is. These particular pieces were also played with my husband in the service.
He the Pearly Gates Will Open
Praise to the Lord the Almighty

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'm a very basic player (there are much better players in my church), but I enjoy playing a pipe organ very much and I don't even have it all figured out. I started playing it in last spring when the renos were done, and the organ was unwrapped (being protected from dust). I had only just started playing after 18 years of break because of having kids, adopting kids, and medical kids, etc. For those that missed out on that tidbit.

Happy listening, if you're so inclined.

ME
(who has gone in to edit this several times...ha!)
Last edited by mimosa on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:33 am, edited 8 times in total.
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

That's incredible music - and I like your dress!
(she/her)
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

dianakc wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:11 pm
MyWatchBegins wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:57 pm I had to film my TV, because laptops no longer have a DVD slot, for some reason. Needless to say the quality is low.
The video that nobody asked for:

It's almost exactly 20 years ago.
LOL...the video that nobody asked for. You're funny.

You looked beautiful. I loved the crowns as well! (My wedding video didn't work out in the end, only the reception one.)

I've only ever been to an Orthodox funeral, only a number of months ago, actually.

Thanks for sharing!

ME
merry

2000 Posts
2000 Posts

Post by merry »

oh, mim, and Rox - ! how lovely you shared these!

I only saw this post just as I was going to bed... but I will look forward to watching them tomorrow! you dear souls - I do love posts like these :hugs
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
MyWatchBegins
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by MyWatchBegins »

WARNING! ORGAN SPAMMING
ME
(who has gone in to edit this several times...ha!)
[/quote]

I enjoyed this very much! Lovely playing, and singing as well! IS that the congregation? Do you guys sing yourselves, or is there a choir? You're a very good player yourself, but that trumpet coming in at 1:07:16 is particularly pleasing in the way it harmonizes, and how your two boys respond to each other at 1:07:54 was beautiful!
Thank you so much for sharing ! It was very interesting.
You're in Edmonton? Curiosity Inc. is in your area I think, Alex Archbold is the guys name - he has an antique and collectibles store, a big heart and a nice family. I enjoy his Youtube videos very much and that area looks beautiful, if a little cold.
God, I sounded like my grandmother there :rolleyes She once met a person from Oregon - USA and she asked him if he knew my cousin, who lives in Chicago! :rofl
An actual Romanian joke says a guy from Congo introduces himself to a bunch of grandmas, and they ask his who he is, he tells them his name and they say "yes, yes, but whose from Congo?". This is hard to translate accurately - but when people talk about someone, especially in the small rural communities, they would identify who they are related to. My dad, following a question of "which Alexandru", was once called Alexandru of Elena of Constanza of Maria, which means my Mum, grandma and great grandma, and the person could immediately place him.
Anyway, so whose from Edmonton are you and are you familiar with the Archbolds? :hug
MyWatchBegins
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by MyWatchBegins »

[/quote]

LOL...the video that nobody asked for. You're funny.

You looked beautiful. I loved the crowns as well! (My wedding video didn't work out in the end, only the reception one.)

I've only ever been to an Orthodox funeral, only a number of months ago, actually.

Thanks for sharing!

ME
[/quote]

I've only been to funerals in recent years too, probably why I go on about how cold churches are. It's the most recent impression I've had of them.
I wonder if Orthodox funerals abroad are the same as we do them here, somehow I doubt it. We can go over the top in a massive way, and a great big chunk of superstition is mixed in with the religion. The priests just pause, let it happen, then carry on.
Was there coliva and a big, 3 course meal afterwards? And were you given a handkerchief tied to a candle, with a coin wrapped in a corner, a scarf or wrap for yourself and towels for the men, as well as a packed meal to take home?
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

MyWatchBegins wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:57 am
I've only been to funerals in recent years too, probably why I go on about how cold churches are. It's the most recent impression I've had of them.
I wonder if Orthodox funerals abroad are the same as we do them here, somehow I doubt it. We can go over the top in a massive way, and a great big chunk of superstition is mixed in with the religion. The priests just pause, let it happen, then carry on.
Was there coliva and a big, 3 course meal afterwards? And were you given a handkerchief tied to a candle, with a coin wrapped in a corner, a scarf or wrap for yourself and towels for the men, as well as a packed meal to take home?
No, there wouldn't be those details, but probably more from a religious view. I suppose it it different when it's Canadian...well...then, the Ukrainians who immigrated way back in the day. My provinces has a huge number of Ukrainian immigrants. The funeral was done in a funeral home, owned even by relatives. And after driving to the cemetery after the service we came back and had food (sandwiches/wraps, vegetables, etc and dessert squares) and visiting after that. So, probably not as authentic as you're saying.

But how in the world can you serve a packed meal, etc. when you don't know how many people are coming? Would what you're describing be Romanian, then?
MyWatchBegins wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:47 am
I enjoyed this very much! Lovely playing, and singing as well! IS that the congregation? Do you guys sing yourselves, or is there a choir? You're a very good player yourself, but that trumpet coming in at 1:07:16 is particularly pleasing in the way it harmonizes, and how your two boys respond to each other at 1:07:54 was beautiful!
Thank you so much for sharing ! It was very interesting.
You're in Edmonton? Curiosity Inc. is in your area I think, Alex Archbold is the guys name - he has an antique and collectibles store, a big heart and a nice family. I enjoy his Youtube videos very much and that area looks beautiful, if a little cold.
God, I sounded like my grandmother there :rolleyes She once met a person from Oregon - USA and she asked him if he knew my cousin, who lives in Chicago! :rofl
An actual Romanian joke says a guy from Congo introduces himself to a bunch of grandmas, and they ask his who he is, he tells them his name and they say "yes, yes, but whose from Congo?". This is hard to translate accurately - but when people talk about someone, especially in the small rural communities, they would identify who they are related to. My dad, following a question of "which Alexandru", was once called Alexandru of Elena of Constanza of Maria, which means my Mum, grandma and great grandma, and the person could immediately place him.
Anyway, so whose from Edmonton are you and are you familiar with the Archbolds? :hug
Our church does not have a choir. The congregation sings everything. The organist or pianist is supposed to lead, then accompany. Some services/psalms/hymns are the kind you need a trumpet or a flute (we have someone who does that too), and they will ask him to accompany...he doesn't play all the time as a matter of course. My husband is amazing...and he and my son take turns with harmonizing. Actually Mr. Mim often has trouble reaching the high notes now (he is disappointed, as it's limiting). The older you get the harder it is to move the mouth muscles to make those specific trumpet sounds. But he plays better/higher in the morning, and my son plays better/higher in the evening (lack of consistent practice for him)...so they'll switch out. I have to listen to it again to see what you're saying, but yes, he can pull some cool descants...he didn't even do them all. But, yes, vs 4 and the last line especially was super cool. We didn't even practice ahead of time, we just discussed what was going on, how I was going to play, what key it was going to be in (I suppose that's from his experience over the years, mucking around with music together in our home, and being married for 23 years). Asher is still learning to transpose and read the harmonizing line on songs/hymns he's never done. Which is what happened to the song before the preservice song (I didn't share that)...but he managed. I love to play with them. (Asher doesn't always play, sometimes it's just P.)

I do not know your specific person...but I know the area of town, and I may drop by someday. Although the internet says that they are permanently closed. Well...you've got me curious now. But hey, you never know. I might have known him.
Side story: one time, early in our marriage, Mr Mim went to Whitehorse, Yukon, for work. He went to church there and was invited somewhere for lunch. They were talking about places/communities where time seems to stand still (it doesn't anymore) and she said that her sister married someone from there (or they both grew up there or something)..."Oh, where is that?" It was the same community where his own wife (me) grew up. So, that was so random and weird. The Yukon is waaay up north in comparison....probably close on par with how far north our own Colleen lives (Alaska). They had a good laugh.

ME
Last edited by mimosa on Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyWatchBegins
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by MyWatchBegins »

mimosa wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:37 pm But how in the world can you serve a packed meal, etc. when you don't know how many people are coming? Would what you're describing be Romanian, then?
It's not really a packed meal, it's more than that. But how much more, it depends on the region. It's always a plate, that they keep, plus a glass or a mug or a tumbler, filled with either wine or spirits, a jug or even a bucket with wine. There are also trays + dessert plates. What a person gets depends on how close they were, there's a hierarchy. No single person gets every single item. In other parts of the country they can give away clothes or even furniture, in remembrance of the deceased, but I think it's a rare occurrence.

It ends up costing a pretty penny, you save up beforehand and the whole family chips in, even family friends will come give you money if they hear of a death. Your employer will also pay I think almost an extra salary for a family death. People are very pragmatic about it. Many will do these events with the giving away of food/drink before they die, my grandparents did and it was a huge party, with a band and everything, the size of a wedding. So they basically got double, since we did it again for them.

You do know how many people to expect, roughly. My grandmother passed 5 years ago, and we thought maybe 100 people would be in attendance, because she was older, so it was unlikely for the whole town to show up, like they would for a young person - counting family, friends, neighbours and then some more distant family, we asked for 120 portions, to be safe. We ended up having 110 attendees and just paid for that.

The food it's given for the soul of the deceased, so they can have it in the afterlife. Even sceptical people like myself will still do that, because my gran believed it to be true, so for her I will give away food and drink at every major religious holiday + anniversary of her death, forever and ever, until I'm gone from this world myself. We actually have a list of all the deceased relatives, going back 3 generations and speak their names, light a candle, say a prayer and only after give the food.

Below there is a picture with the things prepared for people to take home after the funeral, the packed meal I couldn't explain properly.
DSC_0147.JPG
My hometown is 22.000 people, so quite small, no traffic, everything within walking distance. Where I live now, the funeral restaurant would have it all already packed into bags and ready to take home, they no longer lay it out like this. They also use disposable packaging, as opposed to real ceramic/glass.

Curiosity Inc. of Edmonton is this channel here: https://www.youtube.com/@CuriosityIncorporated/featured and I think they're still going strong. I hope they are!

About your husband's story, isn't the world such a small place!
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

That's really interesting to hear out about, My Watch Begins and Mimosa.
(she/her)
ForeverAutumn1
150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by ForeverAutumn1 »

Random Sunday musings…

So, hereabouts it’s the dreaded time of year for teachers: STANDARDIZED TESTING. Which means two straight weeks of administering tests all day. And absolutely nothing else. We’re not allowed to have phones or any electronics, we cannot have a book to read, we can literally do nothing but walk around the room and stare at the miserable students. It’s MIND-NUMBING. :bang

So, I’m preparing my bag to take, which I used for the last round of testing in early December. I found a pad of paper and pen that I had used to doodle on (since we can’t do anything else). I thought oh, I’ll use this to brainstorm and make notes about the story I’m writing while I’m sitting there, since I’ll have nothing else to do. I wonder why I never did that before. And then I realized, last time I tested in December, I HAD NEVER WRITTEN ANYTHING. Which blows my mind to consider how much it’s completely taken over my life now. And I have you all to thank for that, inspiring me with your incredible stories, and your encouragement and friendship. So I just felt like saying a big thank you to all of you. :love :love And feel free to send me fun messages these next two weeks to get me through which I will read when I get home after being on no electronics all day. :D :wave :bighug
🎵🌵 Humming a cactus tune...🎵🌵
dianakc
400 Posts
400 Posts

Post by dianakc »

ForeverAutumn1 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:56 pm Random Sunday musings…

So, hereabouts it’s the dreaded time of year for teachers: STANDARDIZED TESTING. Which means two straight weeks of administering tests all day. And absolutely nothing else. We’re not allowed to have phones or any electronics, we cannot have a book to read, we can literally do nothing but walk around the room and stare at the miserable students. It’s MIND-NUMBING. :bang

So, I’m preparing my bag to take, which I used for the last round of testing in early December. I found a pad of paper and pen that I had used to doodle on (since we can’t do anything else). I thought oh, I’ll use this to brainstorm and make notes about the story I’m writing while I’m sitting there, since I’ll have nothing else to do. I wonder why I never did that before. And then I realized, last time I tested in December, I HAD NEVER WRITTEN ANYTHING. Which blows my mind to consider how much it’s completely taken over my life now. And I have you all to thank for that, inspiring me with your incredible stories, and your encouragement and friendship. So I just felt like saying a big thank you to all of you. :love :love And feel free to send me fun messages these next two weeks to get me through which I will read when I get home after being on no electronics all day. :D :wave :bighug
Wow Autumn. That's so hard to believe. I've been bitten by the same bug too 🤣🤣
Good luck with the boredom x
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

Two weeks?? Oh you poor thing.
(she/her)
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Hang in there, Autumn! You'll have to devise some new JT Cactus memes.

ME
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

LOOK HOW FAR YOU’VE COME!
This is amazing to see.

Also, sorry about the testing. It really sucks.
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

I posted this in the discord but I really want everyone’s thoughts. I’ve been given the opportunity to join a writer’s panel to discuss fanfiction hosted by the Elizabeth Gaskell House in July. I’m hesitating for two reasons. One reason has to do with my personal privacy, since it’s a live video chat...

What do you Millers think?

Should I do it, Privacy Be Damned?
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Philipaholt wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:05 am I posted this in the discord but I really want everyone’s thoughts. I’ve been given the opportunity to join a writer’s panel to discuss fanfiction hosted by the Elizabeth Gaskell House in July. I’m hesitating for two reasons. One reason has to do with my personal privacy, since it’s a live video chat...

What do you Millers think?

Should I do it, Privacy Be Damned?
WOW!! I think that's an honour to be asked!! I'm so impressed! Very cool.

BUT! There's your red flag: "One reason has to do with my personal privacy."

You have convictions about that, Pippa, and I just feel that if that is a concern for you...then there's your answer. I don't want you to feel anxious or have that "I shouldn't have done it" feeling afterwards. I think that should be taken into consideration. I know that you are particular about privacy Pippa, because there's not much of it anymore.

But I can see the other side as well...you might think, "WTH was I so worried about?" after you've done it.

When do you have to give an answer? Are you able to contribute without giving that privacy away...a little something to read in the event? Or a "radio-type" interview with no screen?

ME