Chatty thread for non-N&S topics - anything and everything!

merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

I love that pic, Colleen!!
:lol

I really miss Clippie! I must be one of the only people in the world who never turned him off :lol
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

IMG_20221219_125501.jpg
I think this book was written just for Seb. :xmas
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Philipaholt wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:59 pm IMG_20221219_125501.jpg

I think this book was written just for Seb. :xmas
Ha! That's awesome.

We've done advent with books...library books, second-hand books, bought books. You wrap them up and open up one a day.

ME
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Oh I LOVE that, Pippa! :loveeyes :toast I found it on Amazon and it's coming tomorrow :smug

Lovely idea with advent books, Mimosa! You really have some wonderful ideas.
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I'd go for the "anything and everything" topic. I just stumbled upon this completely ramdomly and remembered that Mim mentioned in the chat the other day that she's fond of the Von Trapp Family Singers.

This is the original Sound of Music film (from 1956), years before there was the famous version starring Julie Andrews.

It's an Austrian movie adaption of the autobiography by Maria von Trapp and is a bit more accurate, because it was actually made from an Austrian point of view instand of the Hollywood one which would slip into certain stereotypes at times.

I remember watching this film like a million times with my Oma as a kid, and now I just rediscovered it, and the coolest thing: It has got English subtitles too!!! 😍

So for anyone who likes The Sound of Music, and also our German learners 😉 this might be an interesting watch for you.

"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

merry wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:59 am Oh I LOVE that, Pippa! :loveeyes :toast I found it on Amazon and it's coming tomorrow :smug

Lovely idea with advent books, Mimosa! You really have some wonderful ideas.
You WILL LOVE it merry
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

It's -32C this morning...it would be colder in the rural areas. Yikes... extreme cold warning.

Not even funny, folks.

Brrrr......

City schools are open, so no school cancellations like some schools do.

I hope our evening thing gets cancelled. But well...

ME
Last edited by mimosa on Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

mimosa wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:26 pm It's -32 this morning...it would be colder in the rural areas. Yikes... extreme cold warning.

Not even funny, folks.

Brrrr......

ME
-5 here Mim, my sister in the north. In-land is always colder. How much daylight are you getting? The Solstice is coming soon! :snowing
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

ColleenD wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:59 pm
mimosa wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:26 pm It's -32 this morning...it would be colder in the rural areas. Yikes... extreme cold warning.

Not even funny, folks.

Brrrr......

ME
-5 here Mim, my sister in the north. In-land is always colder. How much daylight are you getting? The Solstice is coming soon! :snowing
You know I mean Celsius, right? But yes, it is sunrise at 8:27 this morning. I was wondering about how cold it is where you are, but you are also closer to the ocean, right? That makes a difference, I think.

I'm driving my son to work. He can't plug the SUV in during the day.

ME
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

mimosa wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:25 pm
ColleenD wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:59 pm

Not even funny, folks.

Brrrr......

ME
You know I mean Celsius, right? But yes, it is sunrise at 8:27 this morning. I was wondering about how cold it is where you are, but you are also closer to the ocean, right? That makes a difference, I think.

ME
Good grief mim. That's so coolllld. The weatherman is predicting a drop from 8 to -13 in one DAY come Friday. Baton down the hatches
ColleenD
300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by ColleenD »

mimosa wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:25 pm

ME
Oh, that's right you're in Celsius. As the crow flies I am about 5 miles from the ocean (the Cook Inlet to be precise). Interior Alaska is always colder than the coastal areas.

I think we might need to explain for everyone else what "plugging the SUV in" means. To quote one of our favorite characters ;) "Here in the North..." it can get so cold that if you leave your car outside for any length of time, like when you are at work, it may not be able to start when you get back to it. So people will install electric devices to keep their car battery warm (like a battery blanket). Plugging this in at home is easy but many places of work do not have outlets for their employees to plug in to. Yup! It gets that cold here. :D
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Philipaholt wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:30 pm
Good grief mim. That's so coolllld. The weatherman is predicting a drop from 8 to -13 in one DAY come Friday. Baton down the hatches
That's a huge dip regardless.

This cold hurts. There's a saying, "Why do I live where the air hurts my face?" Tea, blankets, and a book would be good right about now. And a fire.
ColleenD wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:44 pm
Oh, that's right you're in Celsius. As the crow flies I am about 5 miles from the ocean (the Cook Inlet to be precise). Interior Alaska is always colder than the coastal areas.

I think we might need to explain for everyone else what "plugging the SUV in" means. To quote one of our favorite characters ;) "Here in the North..." it can get so cold that if you leave your car outside for any length of time, like when you are at work, it may not be able to start when you get back to it. So people will install electric devices to keep their car battery warm (like a battery blanket). Plugging this in at home is easy but many places of work do not have outlets for their employees to plug in to. Yup! It gets that cold here. :D
Thanks, Colleen. Never thought of that. There were sundogs out again today. So cool.

ME
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Updated forecast:
Tonight Partly cloudy. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 34. Wind chill minus 38 this evening and minus 47 overnight. Frostbite in minutes.
Wed, 21 Dec A mix of sun and cloud. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40. High minus 26. Wind chill minus 47 in the morning and minus 35 in the afternoon. Frostbite in minutes.
Night A few clouds. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 30. Wind chill minus 34 in the evening and minus 39 overnight. Risk of frostbite.

ME
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

Well. I got my snow, loves. And it's currently -21....

Burrrrr :snowing
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

Philipaholt wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:38 pm Well. I got my snow, loves. And it's currently -21....

Oh wow! Here the snow is gone...as always, just in time for Christmas. 🙄 It's +5 C here.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Philipaholt wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:38 pm Well. I got my snow, loves. And it's currently -21....

NOW you're on even keel with me. :snowing :clap

Nasty...-29C Yikes, it's -25C here, so you're colder than me and ever so much further south.
But enjoy it for the moment. That's Christmas-y. Just for the experience. Are your vehicles plugged in?

I was finally tired of being freaking cold in my house even if it was +21C. I bumped it up by a degree, and what a difference. Thank goodness for working furnaces.

ME
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Pippa! I'm glad (I think!) you got your snow! were the little-loves pleased, or is it too cold for them to play outside?

Glad you're a little warmer, Mim! A furnace sounds wonderful!
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

mimosa wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:17 pm

NOW you're on even keel with me. :snowing :clap

Nasty...-29C Yikes, it's -25C here, so you're colder than me and ever so much further south.
But enjoy it for the moment. That's Christmas-y. Just for the experience. Are your vehicles plugged in?

I was finally tired of being freaking cold in my house even if it was +21C. I bumped it up by a degree, and what a difference. Thank goodness for working furnaces.

ME
Plugged in??? No ..... I'm not sure what this means 🧐
Philipaholt
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

merry wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:12 pm Pippa! I'm glad (I think!) you got your snow! were the little-loves pleased, or is it too cold for them to play outside?

Be glad!! The littles were ecstatic. They immediately wanted to go outside and play. Their dad said yes (I wanted to say no 😊). They lasted only three to five minutes before coming back in for hot cocoa and biscuits. I don't think they'll go back out. :rofl
mimosa
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by mimosa »

Philipaholt wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:23 pm
merry wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:12 pm Pippa! I'm glad (I think!) you got your snow! were the little-loves pleased, or is it too cold for them to play outside?

Be glad!! The littles were ecstatic. They immediately wanted to go outside and play. Their dad said yes (I wanted to say no 😊). They lasted only three to five minutes before coming back in for hot cocoa and biscuits. I don't think they'll go back out. :rofl
They got their fun. Getting a cold nose is good for the constitution.
Is this normal weather for your area? It seems too cold.

ME