Corona - sounds like a fizzy drink but not nice (COVID)

News & Friendly Debate
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

I know we're talking about this down in Chatty but since it seems to be hanging around for a while :( .....

Here's a neat link that shows the number of Deaths v Recovered. Recovered is 'winning' at present which is better than it was (presumably because few could have been said to be 'recovered' in the early days.)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Corona - sounds like a fizzy drink but not nice

Post by merry »

I kept the same title so it looked more like 'home' - but what do we think?

I got a text from my GP today offering Covid/Flu tomorrow and luckily I managed to get an appointment in the same time-slot as Mr Merry! so we can kill two birds with - errr maybe not the best analogy :lol:
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

The title is like a comfy pair of slippers!

I’m not sure when my invitation will come out. As I had COVID back in August, I think I need to wait a while before I can get the next dose.

Oh look! The emojis are still here! :grouphug
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The title can remind us of the early days when we still called it Corona before who gave it the less offensive name. We thought those were the terrible days didn't we and turned out to be the good old days.

I liked lockdown and social distancing. Even if some people here ignored it was still more space that I have ever seen in my life most of the time. I was sad to miss out on catching a tram when there was room on them and it did make them realise who actually used the free WiFi so it got cancelled forever. Prince Philips funeral was the best royal funeral ever I bet the queen was secretly happy at just 30 people and when Boris said we can change the rules for you marm she would have said don't you dare.

I am not 65 yet so aren't on the list for vaccine invites for next month. I am not sure about this new un tested vaccine though itself mixing two recent vaccines. So am glad many millions get to test it before me. Astra Seneca which was tried and tested vaccines technology seems to have been abandoned doesnt it. It's all the new DNA ones these days.

Rates are up a lot this week even with no countable testing outside hospitals but I suppose with schools and universities and the queen's funeral and train strikes making even crowdier trains it was inevitable.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I have my second jab (flu) due on Tuesday having already had the Moderna covid dose. The local health centre is in a total mess currently with staff shortages and absences so I'm glad I went the national NHS route for this season's jabs.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

I am trying to find a suitable date for my fourth covid shot. Trying to find a date in between work and evening classes, since I should miss neither, in case I'm down with a vaccine reaction. I hope I can get it in the next few weeks.

I hope winter won't be too terrible with many cases :/ Since most public safety precautions, like compulsory masks, have been terminated, chances are that infections will rise again. The good news is that it looks as if the current mutation is not too lethal. Hopefully it will stay that way.
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

I had the flu/covid vax yesterday. Glad to have both as I'm asthmatic and once had flu very badly. Have felt a bit off and both arms are quite painful, but no serious reaction. Hope you get a date soon, TRavine! did you have a bad reaction last time?
Since most public safety precautions, like compulsory masks, have been terminated, chances are that infections will rise again.
I feel we have all dropped masks/public safety precautions far too early. Covid is still a really nasty illness for some and it spreads like the clappers. It's like we've all got to pretend it's gone away!

Good on you for getting your flu jab Eccs. :up
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

I'm glad to hear that you got the shots and did not have a bad reaction.

I had a pretty bad reaction to my first shot (AstraZeneca). Was down with 39 degrees C of fever for almost three days and felt like dying. I had no reaction to the second and third shot at all (both times Pfizer).
I feel we have all dropped masks/public safety precautions far too early. Covid is still a really nasty illness for some and it spreads like the clappers. It's like we've all got to pretend it's gone away!
I agree. In Austria the whole thing was laughable. Our government can never decide on anything. They wanted us to wear masks, then not, then again, then not, every week something different, until many people grew frustrated and decided not to care at all. It's different in every federal state too, which is ridiculous. In Vienna, we have to wear masks on public transport, in other states not, so if you are on a train from other parts of Austria to Vienna, no one is wearing a mask on the train, but the moment the train crosses the border to the federal state of Vienna, everyone puts it on, which is then unnecessary, because it's too late anyways.

I always wear a mask on public transport, regardless of what others do, and I also wear it indoors when there are a lot of people. I'm going to a concert this week, and I will wear it, even if no one else does.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

This is a really interesting insight into another country's handling of the crisis! It's been utter chaos here as you may have heard :lol
if you are on a train from other parts of Austria to Vienna, no one is wearing a mask on the train, but the moment the train crosses the border to the federal state of Vienna, everyone puts it on, which is then unnecessary, because it's too late anyways.
- too late anyways :lol that's honestly hilarious! but completely consistent with the kind of bonkers stuff that is/was going on here too.
I always wear a mask on public transport, regardless of what others do, and I also wear it indoors when there are a lot of people. I'm going to a concert this week, and I will wear it, even if no one else does.

Exactly the same! :shock: Actually got yelled at in Bristol a couple of months ago for having facemasks on a public bus by a 'concerned citizen' but when we went back last week we still wore them - train, bus and at a concert we went to a couple of weeks ago. I think I saw two other masks in the entire theatre. I don't care. If I can avoid catching it I will!

What was the lockdown policy like in Austria? We were kept in for about 12 weeks over the summer (allowed out for walks, and to do the horses - and people in essential jobs) and had another period of lockdown over Christmas, which did not go down too well as you can imagine!
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

What was the lockdown policy like in Austria? We were kept in for about 12 weeks over the summer (allowed out for walks, and to do the horses - and people in essential jobs) and had another period of lockdown over Christmas, which did not go down too well as you can imagine!
Austrian politicians are...let's call it "special". 😝 So far, we've had five lockdowns, which tended to end abruptly and randomly, when numbers were still soaring, because they got "nervous" - because of public demonstrations.

Conveniently, they had all the lockdowns at the best of all times, to aggravate people further. Over Christmas (don't visit your family. Only five people allowed at a private gathering!), same over Easter, only to open everything back up the day after.

Then, they got the brilliant idea to randomly end the last lockdown when we were at 10,000 plus daily cases (we have 8,000,000 people in Austria, for reference, so 10,000 is a lot) and called it "Freedom Day", promising that they would never have any more security measures.

At that point, I decided to unfollow any News Sites and ignore our government's existance, for my mental health.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

@ TRavine, it’s all sounding so very familiar? Does everyone remember Freedom Day in England? Of course, in Scotland, we were locked down a bit more. There was a period of time of several weeks where my little county of about 4 miles by 8 miles was locked down for weeks longer than anywhere else and you could only enter or leave for work or health.
DaisyNinjaGirl
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by DaisyNinjaGirl »

In New Zealand it's been weird recently. When it started we had really strict lockdowns and a lot of 'let's be nice to each other' public good will; followed by a traffic light system that people moaned about but mostly complied with. Then a few weeks ago, our Prime Minister announced that we were all done and it just... stopped. Not many people masking anymore, all these old sad signs around about masking and sanitising your hands that no one follows.
(she/her)
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

It is bizarre the way governments throughout the world have decided that it’s all over.
My niece is down with it now.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

One of my former colleagues and his family have just been granted New Zealand citizenship; they live in Auckland and they are very happy there. My Swiss friend and his daughter have been there as well on holiday (South Island IIRC) and they liked New Zealand as well.

As to covid, it isn't all over at all and cases are increasing again in the UK. I had my booster (4th covid jab) on 24/9 along with my flu jab.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

In UK we had those plastic barriers screens to stop spread. They were put in banks and building societies which annoyed me because we used to have them proper glass in banks and got rid of them for sit at a table with anyone just listening to all your business. And they put them in pubs and restaurants as the price of reducing social distancing from 2m to 1m to fit more people in. And supermarkets to open more tills. Sadly the germs were clever and jumped over the screens so they were all taken away. I doubt they are cleverly stored for the next time and will be on landfill now.

We had the traffic light system too with bad areas and good areas but it doesn't work unless you have strong policed travel restrictions because people just travel to the areas without restrictions. Areas were more people have an understanding of what "not allowed" means in practise in today's Britain had high rates sooner but it still spread to the others once they opened up. Lockdowns and local lockdowns might have worked if the vaccine has actually worked and by time we opened up most people were immune but that hasn't been the case. In a way I do feel a bit sorry for governments because with the enquiry they will all be blamed for having locked down and all the other stuff about vaccine passports but as the scientists were lying to them about the vaccine and they didn't have their own science knowledge they just believed everything. I did too so for that I can't blame the government. A vaccine where you need boosters every few months but still catch covid over and over anyway what's the point of that. Not even really a vaccine is it. I am very upset by it all really. We are back to so this is it we are going to die.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I forgot to mention that it was jabs day yesterday at Knightwood, residents and staff.

Suffice to say that if it had been me I would have organised it somewhat differently in order to save queueing time for everybody. I don't think it would have hurt to have had the vaccination people going to people's rooms after they had done all the paperwork and give them their jabs there, but I am old and stupid so probably I do not understand.

:dunce
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

The first rule of the nhs is what is easiest for the staff. Think of it from that point of view and much of what they do is easier to understand.

The only supporting theory i can think in a care home setting is that they might want more staff to be there to help out if they accidently almost kill any of the patients. If they were all off in individual people's rooms would have to shout for help.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

It's interesting that none of us - English, Scottish, Austrian, New Zealand - are happy with how our governments handled this.

I find it quite bizarre how everyone seems to be busily pretending it no longer exists.

(BTW sad topic but in the stills and footage from the dreadfulThailand nursery shooting I noticed everyone was wearing a mask. There must be just one little tiny pocket of Covid left and it's bunkered down in Thailand for the season :ohwell
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

It's bizarre how all the governements the world over all seem to have the same failed plans with minor detail and time changes here and there. With all the differernt politics one would think they wouldn't all do the same. Maybe there's only one viruses expert in the whole world and the other experts all listen to him and then governments listen to the others.

Lancashire hospitals have got their mask rules back. It's not the worst place in Britain according to the colour map. But it was the start of one of the previous waves so needs watching. They wouldn't do maaks back unless serious would they. Remember the early days when science said people don't need maaks except in hospitals and it turned out yes we did. So masks might be back soon unless theres just a local problem in Burnley area.
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

[quote=Furby post_id=433 time=1665059543 user_id=67]
The first rule of the nhs is what is easiest for the staff. Think of it from that point of view and much of what they do is easier to understand.

This is so true and why I hate all state monopolies like the NHS. The employees know you have no choice but to use their "service" and behave accordingly - that's why you end up with 10 people booked for a 2pm appointment. If you have to hang around waiting for 2 hours that doesn't matter as long as you don't waste any of doctor's valuable time - and you have no choice but to pay these people's salaries and pensions. The sooner we consign the antiquated NHS to the bin where it belongs and adopt a continental style insurance based system the better. It might also mean GPs have to work 5 days a week if they're paid according to how much they actually work rather than how many patients are on their register.