SnowWatch!

Chat about anything and everything
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by merry »

OK we have members to whom snow is no surprise or an infrequent visitor, but I live in the south(ish) of England, and it's rare to get snow, sometimes entire years go by with none that settles.

It was before 8 am when I woke up today and the world was very silent..... I knew!

I always feel excited when I see snow, even now, when it doesn't mean 'a day off school' and causes a few issues for us (horses! five miles away! :eek) but still, my first thought was.... YIPPEE!!!!

snow.jpg

"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by TRavine »

merry wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:52 am OK we have members to whom snow is no surprise or an infrequent visitor, but I live in the south(ish) of England, and it's rare to get snow, sometimes entire years go by with none that settles.

It was before 8 am when I woke up today and the world was very silent..... I knew!

I always feel excited when I see snow, even now, when it doesn't mean 'a day off school' and causes a few issues for us (horses! five miles away! :eek) but still, my first thought was.... YIPPEE!!!!

snow.jpg

This is such a lovely view, Merry!! Do enjoy it while you can! Does it not fit perfectly with your christmas decorations? 😍

We have about 2mms of snow in Vienna right now and the sun is out, so it will likely be gone in about two hours. 😉
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by OurCreature »

We have had frost but no snow, apart from a few flurries this morning that didn't settle. Or maybe they did but were indistinguishable from the frost already there. During the last few days it hasn't been warm enough to melt all the frost.

I went to Morrisons today, and it was very quiet when I arrived during browsing time. By the time I had paid for everything - not much to buy this time! - people were starting to arrive and the car park was noticeably busier than half an hour earlier. I was pleased I had gone in early. It was OK driving there, the roads were not icy or anything horrid like that. I hope the Girls aren't finding driving up to Scotland too difficult.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by eccles »

About an inch fell last night in ecclesland. I took one snow shot with the phone while out on my walk and just checked it and it has awful camera shake so I deleted it. I'm glad Merry stepped in as I don't much like the idea of going out in it again. Temperature is hovering around 0C. :snowing
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by Furby »

I had the snow yesterday just enough you could make footprints but not so much it got in ones boots.
It's gone today except for a few stubborn bits that always stay on bits of grass etc.

I hope merry managed to trudge the five miles to feed the horrible horses without the snow got in her boots.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by merry »

Yes it fits perfectly with my Christmas themed house! :snowing

Here's those horrible horses, and friend:
snowpones.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by eccles »

WD Juliet for braving the weather AND building a snowman.

This themed cartoon made me chuckle.
frosty.jpg
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by Patience »

No snow and hardly any frost here. Glasgow had a brief flurry yesterday for 20mins but didn’t settle. Nothing in Edinburgh today.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by merry »

'Caught picking his nose' - that was so funny, Eccs! :rofl

Well we have to go OUT tomorrow (to Cheltenham 10 miles away) so the roads better be clear at least...

You'll probably pay for it later, Patience :D :snowing
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by merry »

We decided not to risk going down to Cheltenham today after all, but instead Juliet and I went to Broadway to get stamps and post cards (ALL DONE NOW!) and found it very Christmassy indeed!

Tom - the tall tree on the Green is artificial - I checked :)

santa.jpg

tree.jpg

tree2.jpg

lyg.jpg

ash.jpg

red.jpg
Forsteriaana30
1000 Posts
1000 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by Forsteriaana30 »

This is how look to me in my city Ogre. There's very much snow what's nothing usually. It's almost always like that, but like which year. Sometimes there are snow, sometimes not and are grey, gloomy and wet weather woth rain. I don't like it. This is much better and so Christmasy! :snowing :xmas
IMG_20221213_154239.jpg
IMG_20221213_154222.jpg
"Now I love and will love" ❤️
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by Furby »

The red tree looks nice. There's been no new snow in my town but stubborn bits haven't melted so it must be freezing though I didn't think it was that cold out when I went to get a TV paper they are sold today. Nothing much on TV at Xmas again.

The postman has finally been to my house ts like being at work again and having to open all the post. I have all but one of the things I expected now. Still waiting for one thing which I asked for in August and wasn't sent them so maybe it hasn't been sent in December either and it isn't Mr posrmans fault. Letters are sent by UK mail these days so there aren't dated postmarks to tell when sent but guesses based on date on letters etc mean some are two weeks old .
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by Panikos »

I was hoping for more snow so I could take a photo. What I had was mostly brown by the morning.

Fossy, I'm in a town so my view is not unlike yours. I do think a nice blanket of snow makes it look special at least when it is fresh.

Furby, That made me realise I've not seen my postman (actually a woman) for a while now. Maybe she'd going to drop them down my chimney on the 24th
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by Furby »

No snow here yet and it's promised/threatened for thursday now.

I had one of those end of the world warning messages on my mobile phone but I couldn't see what the warning was for. So it's not a very good warning. Just tells me to go online but will online be there in the end of the world why not just send the message. Online just said they so tests to test for floods etc but I am not in a flood plain so I don't know. Maybe it was warning me about the snow.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by eccles »

It's raining here as of 15:37. The rain is cold but it is still rain. Some of the frog spawn in my pond was getting a bit exposed after the dry February so I suppose even cold rain is welcome.
The bin crew came this morning as usual so the world hasn't ended here.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by merry »

My phone said there was "100% chance of snow" at midnight and until 5 am. It rained all night!

I wouldn't mind but I'm sure it used to be quite reliable when it did the '100%' thing. Like it had looked out of the window first :lol
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by eccles »

My morning walk today consisted of three miles of drizzle. :sad
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by OurCreature »

We had a dusting of snow overnight, but it melted apart from where it fell on the roofs of the houses and on people's gardens. I shall find out whether the snowfall was heavier elsewhere when I go to Knightwood this morning.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by merry »

Three miles of drizzle! that can be so miserable, Eccs - wd for going.

I hope it's safe on the roads, OC.

Sunny when woke up. NOW it's snowing... which I do love in one way.... we can tuck up cosy at home, shop across the road, etc - but it does make problems for us with the horses :sad
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

SnowWatch!

Post by eccles »

My daily walk was three miles of sleet today. There was an inch or two of snow overnight and it was still snowing when I started out but it was already turning to sleet. The paths were mostly clear. Gary Gritter went by spraying salt but there was nothing much there to melt. I daresay up on the higher ground a few miles to the east around the aptly named Cold Ashton it's a different story.