December, tis the season of good will

Chat about anything and everything
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Who is this Good Will anyway? Bah humbug.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
(Terry Pratchett 1948-2015)
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Blue Xmas fal de rah

Will certainly doesn't work in a bank this year I was shocked at how terrible it has got there now. I knew it was going so many years ago but it's now an obvious cartel plan to get rid of customers which makes no sense.I have one horrid one left to go to now and leave that until last as it's going to be the worst. Passbooks are now banned there so I have to be converted like a cyberman before I can do anything. I have to go otherwise my money gets given to the poor as decided by this government.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

It’s Berlin Christmas Market month!
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I hope patience likes her markets trip.

I walked past the Manchester ones and avoided them as best I could. Only time I went there for them I caught the worst flu ever so with covid this year as well wasn't taking any chances. Stuff is rubbish and overpriced and food Is foreign and horrible. It's a day out for people who get drunk on the drinks they sell really.
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Have fun at the market Patience!

We were going to go to a new garden centre near Tewkesbury today (Dobbie's) but instead waited in all day for the Gasman. The slot was 8am - 6pm, and he turned up at 5.20 ;) but THE HEATING IS FIXED!!!

We shall go to Dobbie's tomorrow at 9am instead, and then tomorrow night is the Tewkesbury Town Band Christmas Concert at the Roses theatre in Tewks.

I'm still coughing and tired so finding the pace of Christmas tiring!!

Thanks for new topic, Eccs :up
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I'm pleased your heating is fixed - being in the cold is miserable. I remember a few years after I moved here my boiler was condemned at its annual service during December when it was cold; in those days British Gas, or was it the local Gas Board, had showrooms where they sold things like boilers and cookers etc so next day I went off to the Southampton showroom and bought a new free standing boiler. I had to wait a few days and one day when I got home there was a huge packing case on my front doorstep and a small bag with lots of bits and pieces in it. That was my new boiler. I was especially cross because it blocked the cat door so the boys couldn't get out; a good thing they had been indoors when it arrived and fortunately there was nothing of theirs to tidy up.

The engineers arrived next morning and they were cross to find the boiler had already been delivered; I didn't enquire whether they were cross because it meant they could start work on it straight away. I was very pleased when it was working and I didn't need the immersion heater for hot water.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

Ah the good old days of gas boards and electric showrooms where you could buy things and pay bills and find out when this week's power cuts were due. I miss those places.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

I notice if we have made over 100 posts we get to be called veterans. At what stage are we called something else? What will it be, Antiques?
The cold weather is continuing. Merry must be very pleased to have her boiler fixed.
One of my lounge radiators is taking a long time to warm up after the heating is turned on and I think the thermostat is faulty. The rest around the house are all ok but I think that'll be a job for Darren the Plumber next summer.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

It isn't if we make 100+ posts, Eccs, I think it is if we had been on the Board That Died for a long time............STPD is a Veteran and she has made 5 posts on this New Board.
eccles

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by eccles »

Oh. I thought my avatar changed when I reached 100 posts but I must have been mistaken. Thanks for the explanation.
Panikos

150 Posts
150 Posts

Post by Panikos »

OC is spot on with the Veterans badge of course. We couldn't really carry over number of posts, but it felt right to recognise those who made them all over the years.

We have the bar with green squares to mark posts now. 50 posts per square but then the color changes and it's 500 per square and so on.
Patience

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Patience »

I was expecting a delivery from Argos today. It is a bit bulky and delivery time was booked 2-4pm.
It arrived just before 1:30. Just as well I was in. Sigh. I think early deliveries are worse than late ones.
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

I actually got some post yesterday. I know they have been on strikes but that was only 2 days and I had nothing for 2 weeks including a bank statement that isnt just sent randomly so I know it has been delayed. None of my newer things I was expecting did arrive so I suppose the strike has kept them. It would be nice to know what their problems are other than strikes as they wont be fixed by whatever fixes the strikes. They did blame covid three years ago but now it cant always be covid can it everyone at the delivery office must have had covid 100 times each by now.

I like online as a play thing but I really dont want my whole life online because then I have to go online and check boring work emails like when I was at work. You have 262 emails waiting etc. I want online to be my play space.
OurCreature

1000 Posts
1000 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

There may not be Christmas Presents this year......................stolen from Facebook.
santa crash.jpg
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

:rofl I love it!

STPD has gone home, we had a lovely Christmassy weekend, wrapping and chatting.

And of course the Tewkesbury Town Band Christmas concert - utterly fab - gotta love a dancing snowman!
snowman.jpg
"... not to be told a story, but to live inside a dream." - Hades, The Burnt City
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

What do we think? Shall I buy this or not :D

Well, not at £75 methinks. Maybe if it's £25 in the post-Xmas sale!
deer.jpg
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

Well, we weren't expecting THAT were we! :eek
Wildrover

300 Posts
300 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

Talking of not expecting things, I have to give a shout out to the England football and cricket teams who in the space of 12 hours turned in two exhilarating victories. The football team's win against Senegal was expected but not the style and panache with which they achieved the win - it's a young team, one of their goal scorers is 21 and the two players who set up the goals 22 and 19. Unfortunately they play France in the quarter finals who were my tournament favourites before it started - and I've seen nothing to change my mind despite the media hype suggesting Brazil only have to turn up to win.

The cricket victory was even more exciting - it is only the third time in 60 years we have beaten Pakistan in Pakistan. The pitches there tend to be very flat which leads to high scoring games and a disproportionate number of draws as it's very difficult to both score enough runs and bowl out the opposition twice in 5 days. England took a very aggressive approach and scored over 500 on the first day, the second highest total in one day of all time despite losing an hour of play because it got too dark to play. Even with this positive approach they only managed to take the last Pakistani wicket with 15 minutes to go. It was very tense as the last two Pakistani batsmen hung on for over half an hour and it was beginning to look like England weren't going to do it but it all ended well.

So overall very impressive from both teams - now all we need is the Rugby team to remember how to play again and II'll be happy...
merry

1500 Posts
1500 Posts

Post by merry »

I watched the England match and was amazed. Usually I sit there shouting at the screen YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE TRYING TO GET IT IN THE NET, DAMMIT and this time they actually DID :eek
Furby

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Furby »

It seems strange having world cups in advent. Even though i know I keep forgetting.

My last Scottish relative that I knew from the olden days when he was in my grandmothers town has died. I am still nervous of travelling far and there are so many train strikes I don't think I could get there and back anyway so will probably just send a card. Its quite sad when all the family people older than one die only two left older than me now.

Strikes are really bad aren't they. Almost all the next month is someone on strike and when working they are recovering from yesterday strike and winding down for next strike tomorrow. The NHS is at least getting the army to so their jobs when it's their strike.