December, tis the season of good will

Chat about anything and everything
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

Whew, just back from my daily three miles. I think the cold weather is easing this morning. It's merely damn cold instead of mind-numbingly brass-monkey bloody freezing cold. :snowing Watch out for more icy patches at Tewkesbury Merry.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Goodwill indeed. Stolen from Facebook.
harryjest.jpg
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

I bet they also stock Harry's whine.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

:lol nice one, Eccs!
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

Aww that's beautiful, Asy! I think that was voted the Nation's Favourite Carol one year in jolly old England.

Messiah was wonderful. We got there an hour early as we do to be sure of the best seats and this was our view - look at that wonderful piano!

Didn't get home till 10>30 pm!

Don't forget it's ALL-DAY HOP IN AND OUT chat today ! I'm keeping an eye but no-one so far! this afternoon I won't be around but will check in and out this evening.

piano.jpg
"We see the storm on the horizon and draw in our sails." - Elizabeth Gaskell
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I shall hop in and out of chat today to see if anybody else is there and.................have a chat.

Thanks for clarifying that it is for today, Merry - I wasn't sure if it was today, or next Sunday to cheer up members of the HF Gang who live by themselves who might be feeling lonely.

A case in point is a very good friend of mine who is having probably his first Christmas alone because he lost his dear wife to cancer earlier this year. I think about him and his late wife quite often because she was a very good friend to me and Mum as well and Mum and I are/were very fond of them. When Mum was 90 the late Moyna drove from their home just on the edge of Newbury down to KW to deliver Mum's birthday card by hand on her big day which shows you just how caring a person she was and just one reason why we were so fond of her. Anyway my friend decided he would have Christmas Day by himself and see his family on Boxing Day. My Christmas Card that he sent me was from him and the memory of Moyna which I found very touching and still do as I type this.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

And for Tom, Pippa and Fossy - Mellands Camp where I used to live, in its heyday as a POW camp. I can assure you that the huts hadn't changed all that much.................though there were less of them..............
mellands camp.jpg
And that was on a good day...............
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

I'm sorry I only saw you for such a brief moment today OC! I had something on at 2 :hug
I wasn't sure if it was today, or next Sunday to cheer up members of the HF Gang who live by themselves who might be feeling lonely.
I think that IS a great idea and I'm so pleased to see the Chatroom getting more use. We will always keep Thursday chat as we have always done, but we should have more impromptu pop-ins! it's always fun and no-one has to commit to any length of time, just pop in and out as and when!

So On Christmas Day let's try and pop in! Tho in my case it will prob only be in the evening for a quick one.
TRavine
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by TRavine »

OurCreature wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:20 pm And for Tom, Pippa and Fossy - Mellands Camp where I used to live, in its heyday as a POW camp. I can assure you that the huts hadn't changed all that much.................though there were less of them..............

mellands camp.jpg

Oh wow, OC, that's so interesting! Thank you for sharing!
"I'm not sure I'd know how to dabble." 8-)
Philipaholt
500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by Philipaholt »

OurCreature wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:20 pm And for Tom, Pippa and Fossy - Mellands Camp where I used to live, in its heyday as a POW camp. I can assure you that the huts hadn't changed all that much.................though there were less of them..............

mellands camp.jpg

Thanks for posting this OC
The secret of life lies in laughter and humility. —GKC
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

though there were less of them
"fewer" OC? :nono :)
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

"fewer" OC?
Probably. I thought about it after posting the pic, but I simply couldn't get sufficiently worked up about my minor grammatical error to change it. :D
Patience

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Patience »

merry wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:02 pm we should have more impromptu pop-ins! it's always fun

Flash chat!
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

I only like going in chat to see where it guesses I am today. It chooses the horriblest possible nearby places and never the nicest places. I keep hoping for a nice place but it's never me there.
Wildrover

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

We might have a struggle at Christmas - we go to MYF's parents from 24-27 December along with her brother and his fiancee and her 88 year old grandma. Unfortunately her parents both tested positive for Covid on Monday and given that the 6 of us (minus grandma who lives a hundred miles away) had lunch and drinks for several hours the day before it seems unlikely that we will all have evaded the virus. If it were just the 6 of us we would just get on with it as I seem unable to catch it and the other three are all under 32 but if we do test positive we have resolved to stay home this year as her Grandma is quite frail anyway. I feel bad as MYF's mum puts a lot of effort into Christmas and loves having us all round but I don't really see an alternative as if we contracted the virus on Sunday we will still be infectious by Friday.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

That's a shame, WR. I hope that you and YYF manage to avoid it and test negative.
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

I only like going in chat to see where it guesses I am today. It chooses the horriblest possible nearby places and never the nicest places. I keep hoping for a nice place but it's never me there.
:D Furby, I do love your alternative take on things.

But you will be in Chat on Thursday night I hope! and you too Eccles! I think you both skipped a week last week :whip

Oh WR that's a shame. I hate it when Christmas plans get spoiled :(

Poor Juliet has whatever we keep getting AGAIN. Just not herself at all. (She did apprise herself of your chocolate and praline cookies, though, OC! :D
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

IIRC Furby made a late entrance in Chat last week, Merry.
Patience

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Patience »

I can’t get chat to show my location, so there must be a setting somewhere that isn’t right.

I love how WR’s MYF is MYF to him and YYF to us. It makes me chuckle. Here’s to WR and HYF being virus free for Christmas.

Alas, I am eating out on Christmas Day. Not something I enjoy as the food and service are generally below par and the price is eye watering. But hey ho ho ho.
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

I think you both skipped a week last week
:eek I didn't know there was a register. Sorry miss.
Mutters.. slave driver...power gone to her head...
th-2038019437.jpg