December, tis the season of good will

Chat about anything and everything
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

The Aussies have arrived. Their plane was 14 minutes early at 05:41, but they waited until nearly everyone was off the plane (probably an A380) before making a move as they knew there would be a wait for their baggage. They must have got an Uber cab very quickly because I phoned Nancy around half an hour ago and they were already there so I was wished a Hello Uncle Mike by them and then Lynsay and I had a quick chat to confirm Friday pm.

They will rest until 12-ish and then they want to be doing things and breaking themselves in for a good(ish) night's sleep tonight.
Like the late Chaircat Midge, I am not always right.
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

It's said all so nornally now isn't it "got an Uber cab". I wouldn't know how to even start. Uber quickly became what people do hasn't it. I hope they have a nice holiday even if it is what oc worried might happen and it's going to be minus 18 or something tonight.

I have been invited to take part In an NHS health survey. They want 5 million volunteers to investigate and take DNA bits off to look into something about our future health. Wouldnt you think with all the backlogs and covid and strikes and staff shortages first thing they would stop is silly surveys and divert all the survey staff to working on our current health.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Furby wrote
They want 5 million volunteers to investigate and take DNA bits off to look into something about our future health.
I agree with what you say about this, Furby. I think that the NHS has reached the point where it can no longer maintain the general health of our country - lots of people are leaving the workforce because they are too unwell to work, for example. And the differences in life expectancy between (say) the south east and places like the north east are really shocking. Whether this is because of mismanagement of the resources that are available, lack of funding etc I don't know. It can't be right that ambulances in some areas are waiting literally for hours to unload their patients at hospitals. We are told that some of this is due to 'bedblocking' by patients who are well enough to leave hospital so why aren't the authorities putting resources into places where these people could move to in order to vacate their beds? I think the NHS and social care together need a very good look to get things joined up a bit more and to see where savings could be made in culling layers of management.

Despite the fact that on some measures we have the 5th to 9th highest GDP in the world we don't seem to be able to run things very well or distribute the available cake to achieve the greatest happiness for the greatest number. I hope I stay reasonably healthy until just before conking out time, because I don't fancy my chances in the NHS if something goes horribly horribly wrong with me. Please let me outlive Them and have the wherewithal to be able to keep Them in the manner to which they are accustomed until it's time for Their departure, that's all I ask.
Wildrover

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Wildrover »

I think all the personnel involved in this are scientists, statisticians and medical researchers rather than doctors and nurses so they couldn't be redeployed to frontline treatment roles. They also seem to be farming out most of the phlebotomy to pharmacists so I don't think it will have much of an effect on NHS resources. I actually think it's one of the better ideas I've seen recently - the participants will get a general health check and feedback on any diseases to which they have a genetic predisposition in addition to the valuable statistical information.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Thank you for that info WR, I find what you say very reassuring so far as this project is concerned.
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

I hope you have a lovely time with the Aussies, OC!

I used to love those A380s - they are the one with the upper deck? there were some economy seats there laid out in 2s which STPD and I used to pay extra to reserve. Though D,C and L will have wanted a row of three, which is easier to get by far.
"We see the storm on the horizon and draw in our sails." - Elizabeth Gaskell
asymphototropic

Post by asymphototropic »

Hi, Guys! Hugs to Everyone....
I dropped off the planet temporarily. Apologies. Said hello to the giant immortal tortoises supporting the world and they send their best to all the HF Crue. [I interrupted their bridge game, but apologized and they forgave me.]

Did you know when your PC crashes, it flashes a tiny light that says in code what is giving it a tummy ache? I'm embarrassed to report I didn't know that. Thingummie minor explained, and now I know. Anywhoozle, a new memory card purchased and my PC rescued from the crash.

Of course the comp chose the last days of the semester to blink out, and I've been scrambling to get my college students' grades in timely.

The dean asked me to resurrect a defunct Zoology course for the winter semester. So far there aren't enough students signed up and it may be cancelled, so I'm teetering on the edge of "should I spend more time getting this course ready?" or "do other more rewarding stuff?" meh....

We have a regency ball at Gadsby's Tavern in Alexandria this Saturday. Hope my chest cold resolves by then!
Here's the blurb for any of you intrepid virtual travelers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsby's_Tavern
Panikos

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Asy, it's good to see you.

I hope the 'chest cold' gets better soon. There's been something of the sort circulating here that includes a terrible cough that goes on forever. Lots of people really struggling with it.

PC problems are always a disaster. We rely on them so much now. Glad you got yours working, but you probably need some kind of emergency backup PC for next time.
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

Welcome back, Asy! You were missed :hugs

Gadsby's Tavern! How wonderful! I seem to remember looking it up once before. It's so OLD.

Hope you throw off your chest cold SOON. I expect you caught it from me. I've been quite ill or mildly ill with similar since the beginning of November! You missed me moaning about it for weeks and weeks :rolleyes
Panikos

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Panikos »

Furby that is sad about your relatives, but I don't blame you for not wanting to travel. Especially now with strikes and such, but it's always complicated and difficult and people do understand that.
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

I got a tablet for emergencies when computers break and I use it all the time now except for shopping and spreadsheets. I don't even need to sit on proper chairs.

I wasn't well in November either I do think the news has missed something it's only pandemics when anyone bothers to count them isn't it. Mines come and gone so many times now I can't relax waiting for it to return and costs a fortune in paper hankies. Which shops are often out of stock of these days.

It's arctic weather this week and the health people who advised us to wear masks and get vaccines are now busy advising people to keep homes at 18 degrees and eat hot dinners.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

Gadsby's Tavern is one of those Georgian buildings in the USA that wouldn't look out of place in the centre of an old city like Winchester; the only feature that looks slightly iffy are those round-topped gable windows on the larger building. Gadsby's is very easy for me to mistype because round here we have an estate agent (realtor in the US, I think) chain called Goadsby which sounds very Northern; sometimes in one of my more stupid reveries I'd think of a chap in Lancashire or Yorkshire banging his mug of tea on the kitchen table and saying to his wife 'You know that Goadsby? He's only gone and bought an estate agents Down South!' while Goadsby, grinning sideways, wanders down the street wearing his cloth cap and a big coat to protect against the cold...................totally erroneous because Goadsby was started by Mr Aubrey Goadsby and Mr Harding in Bournemouth in 1958, and was subject to a management buyout in 1990. It is still independent today. Although Mr Goadsby sounds as if he should come from somewhere Oop North - how could he not with a name like that - he was in fact born in Croydon, and his father was born in London.

So far I have escaped the continuous cold that is afflicting other HF people; I thought I was in for it 2 or 3 weeks ago and didn't go in to KW one morning, but it turned out to be a temporary snuffle. Get well soon, everybody. :grouphug
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

There's a thing called RSV which is doing the rounds along with flu and Covid. Elevated levels of all three are causing people in the USA to recommend a return to using facemasks.
I popped round to my local Asda this morning to buy some socks. One or two people were wearing them, including myself.
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

When we have symptoms we don't know what we have do we because before covid people didn't get tested except chosen people in hospitals. I only know difference between cold and flu because you can't even get a drink or reach the bathroom quickly with flu. Even when I have had colds or flu for so long I felt forced to bother a doctor they just say oh it's a virus.

And why does Eccles need new socks. Retired people should have enough socks. They take years to go in holes so just keep wearing the same socks.
eccles

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by eccles »

When you walk 3 miles a day you wear out a lot of socks.

I bought three pairs last year. I liked them so bought six more pairs but they shrank after washing and were too tight. I've been putting off scrapping them but tried a pair again this morning and was well on the way to becoming disabled if I continued. They, and the other eight pairs, are now in a charity bag to go out on Monday, which is why I wanted replacements.

BTW, when I said that one or two people were wearing them, I meant face masks. I imagine most men were wearing socks and quite a few women as well. I was also wearing a face mask, and socks, but not the socks that I bought last year.
Panikos

100 Posts
100 Posts

Post by Panikos »

I'm puzzled by this RSV thing. I'm told it's normal, that we always got it every year, that many 1000s die from it each year and that it takes up huge amounts of GP & Hospital resources. That there's no real treatment other than putting people on oxygen.

Which makes it odd that I never heard of it before. No one ever said "I have RSV again" and no GP ever said "that's not the flu it's RSV" No one ever suggested vaccination either.

Now perhaps they changed the name for it. Perhaps it's considered a variety of flu and was referred to as such in the past. Or perhaps I'm losing my mind and everyone else remembers decades of outbreaks in the past.
Furby

250 Posts
250 Posts

Post by Furby »

Panikos is not losing his mind. The UK Health Authorities are gas lighting. Covid has taught anyone paying attention this. (e.g. Nobody wear masks no point. Everybody wear masks or else. Stop with the masks now. The risk is very low keep going to horse races. The risk is so great we need to lockdown. Only old people over 75 need vaccines. Everyone get a vaccine or be sacked. No need for vaccines for under 65s then 50s etc) Unfortunately thats not many people who do pay attention and all the authorities have to say is the NHS the NHS and thats the end of it.

It is just possible this RSV did exist previously but they cant really say we always had a covid like virus that killed 1000s and needed oxygen but previously never mentioned it or did anything about it after everything they said and did over covid can they.
asymphototropic

Post by asymphototropic »

Respiratory Syncytial Virus [RSV] and Corona Virus had both been described and isolated when I first studied virology in 1974. Neither type of virus is newly discovered.
OurCreature

350 Posts
350 Posts

Post by OurCreature »

I looked up RSV and saw that for most adults it manifests itself as something resembling a common cold. It is more serious for old folk with reduced immunity and they can end up dying with pneumonia put on the death certificate - so what else is new.

I think the media have got into the habit of scaring people with virus, pandemic etc what can we scare them with today isn't it fun; well perhaps not quite that far but it does make me feel a bit cynical about such headlines. Quite like old times if illnesses like diphtheria and scarlet fever really are making a comeback.
merry

500 Posts
500 Posts

Post by merry »

Juliet and I have just come back from a Carols evening at Stanway House, it began with carols in Stanway Church in the grounds which was lovely - the vicar said it was to be 'like carol-singing' and not a service, which pleased us. There is a traditional organ but also a wonderful old chap with an electronic keyboard, who played a jazzy rhythm backing to some of the carols which was very amusing at times and gave it an extra element of fun!

Then we all trooped in to the Great Hall for nibbles and punch and so on. The nibbles were of the canapé variety which I love but didn't please J, who had been hoping for something 'hot, with chips'. : :rolleyes The Earl of Wemyss sent his apologies for not feeling up to mingling with the Peasants tonight.

I noted that Stanway House, while beautiful in parts, is very shabby with woodworm and mothy rugs, and we were sent out through a back corridor as the Great North Door was stuck :lol and it was in such a dreadful state with peeling plaster and badly patched holes in the ceiling and walls that it made us feel really sad for the rich and titled that they have to live in such conditions.

stanway.jpg